Green Man 2023

March Hare

15 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Quietly confident about Sigur Ros personally.  

I think it'll be Green Man/APE/EoTR, but leaning more towards GM. Don't think they'd be deemed big enough for APE anymore. Just bagged a ticket to see them in Nottingham because they're doing mammoth setlists at the minute, two sets at 21 songs total!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, evannn said:

Chucking in an early punt for headliners: Broken Social Scene, Redcar (fka Christine and the Queens), Hot Chip, Suede

I'd also love to see How to Dress Well and Sylvan Esso in the walled garden

Broken Social Scene played third from top at EOTR in 2016, no way they'd headline a 2023 festival. Chris/Redcar is probably too big.

The Delgados will play this (or EOTR), surely?

I had BSS as potential Thursday Headliners in my mind, that felt about right to me... I didn't realise they had previously been booked lower down, though! 

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Broken Social Scene played third from top at EOTR in 2016, no way they'd headline a 2023 festival. Chris/Redcar is probably too big.

The Delgados will play this (or EOTR), surely?

I think Chris/Redcar could be about right; after the APE date last time round didn't sell well, I don't know if a significantly bigger festival (one that doesn't consistently sell out anyway) would risk booking him to headline? Also, I think the new name might affect "brand" recognition somewhat

For reference, the below is a list of non-UK European festivals worth keeping an eye on for potential GM bookings as the first few acts for these festivals start getting announced later this year/early next year: 

• Paredes de Coura
  • Pukkelpop 
  • Lowlands
  • Route du Rock 
  • Canela Party 
  • Flow Festival
  • Oya Festival 
  • Off Festival 
  • Haldern Pop Festival 
  • SonicBlast 

From memory I think Paredes often announces a few acts quite early on and also some of the Scandinavian ones like Flow and Oya. 

There's probably a few others but I think these are the main ones.  Weirdly, a lot of GM acts were on the bill for This Ain't No Picnic this year in California which is the bank holiday weekend so potentially worth looking out for that one as well. 

Just (about) recovering from EOTR, a few highlights that would absolutely fit a Green Man 2023:

- Kevin Morby sub headlined the Garden stage, and wow has he ramped up his show since he was last there - would easily have warranted headline status tbh

- not everyone's cup of tea [@BornintheFifties notably 😉 ] but Black Midi's set as Garden headliner was utterly sensational - not quite sure who to credit for this, possibly The Independent - but described as 'brilliantly playing all of spotify within 80 minutes'. Anyway, nuts, intense, brilliant, amazing. Wow!

- Green Man 'old fave' Aldous Harding was completely sublime as a Garden headliner

Down the lineup a touch, but Grace Cummings is something very special, and deathcrash (on a much bigger stage than at GM) were immense.

What do people think to Yeah Yeah Yeahs headlining?

Are they too big?  Not really GM’s style?  Do you like them?

The reason I have thought about it a lot is because when they first announced their come back either last year or the year before, the GM band booker followed them on Twitter.  In the past, Twitter follows have been a fairly reliable indicator than a band has or is going to be booked.

I’m not a huge fan of theirs but I like them enough to be interested, and I think it would be a good booking.  I have a soft spot for them as Gold Lion came out just as I was properly getting into music and it’s one of the first songs I can remember really getting into.  I also count Skeletons among my favourite songs of all time.  They’ve also got a handful of huge songs like Maps, Y Control, Cheated Hearts, Zero and Heads Will Roll. 

Thoughts?

47 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

What do people think to Yeah Yeah Yeahs headlining?

Are they too big?  Not really GM’s style?  Do you like them?

The reason I have thought about it a lot is because when they first announced their come back either last year or the year before, the GM band booker followed them on Twitter.  In the past, Twitter follows have been a fairly reliable indicator than a band has or is going to be booked.

I’m not a huge fan of theirs but I like them enough to be interested, and I think it would be a good booking.  I have a soft spot for them as Gold Lion came out just as I was properly getting into music and it’s one of the first songs I can remember really getting into.  I also count Skeletons among my favourite songs of all time.  They’ve also got a handful of huge songs like Maps, Y Control, Cheated Hearts, Zero and Heads Will Roll. 

Thoughts?

Can't imagine they're THAT big but who knows. In terms of headline slots at festivals Green Man or maybe Latitude are probably the biggest they're gonna get, they didn't headline APE in 2017.

Skeletons is a great, underrated YYYs song.

I'd love them there.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

Can't imagine they're THAT big but who knows. In terms of headline slots at festivals Green Man or maybe Latitude are probably the biggest they're gonna get, they didn't headline APE in 2017.

Skeletons is a great, underrated YYYs song.

I'd love them there.

Yeah I think that sub slot at APE suggests they’re just at the right level for a GM, even if it was a while back now.  Could see it happening and think it would be a good booking as they haven’t played in the U.K. very often in the last 5 years at all, if not longer. 

Regards the rest of the site, how would people feel if Chai Wallers never came back? 

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in there over the years and wouldn't miss it at all if it wasn't there in future.

Obviously other people will feel differently, just wondered what general view was?

Similar views here. I've seen 2 acts in there across 3 festivals and didn't even venture in this year. It does give a completely different change of pace though and I think that's welcome.

What would the alternative be?

I'd like to see some live acts in Round The Twist - somewhere between Rising and Walled Garden level, perhaps unbilled? That's not really a replacement for the style of act you find in CW though.