Green Man 2023

March Hare

3 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Am I right in thinking tickets sold out SO quickly this year as a number of people were still rolling their tickets over from previous years? Or is that the norm?

Yes I think so.  It previously took several months.  Though it’s getting quicker and quicker each year. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

9 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I'd definitely go again after this year. It would be an amazing setting for one or both or Bjork and Sigur Ros but I wonder if they're too big bookings for the festival.

Bjork feels like she should be but Bluedot is the same capacity. Sigur Ros might well be within their reach, they're doing two nights at Brixton Academy in November. The other potential I'd wonder about size-wise is Pavement.

Little Simz, anyone?

Edited by SweepingTheNation

During the very sunny day this year (yes. hot sun. Green Man. Wales. Does. Not. Compute.), a woman asked to have some suntan lotion from us. She spotted my tshirt. She said 'OOH! My brothers in Crows!". So....I offered her all the suntan lotion.

ANYWAY, she said they ('they' being Crows) were gonna play this year, but one of them was on holiday (?!). So, I would VERY MUCH like them to play next year. Because I love them. They are awesome.

As for headliners.....I think Sigur Ros is a good shout. Maybe Idles? And Sleater Kinney or Nadine Shah in far out, thank you very much take all my money (ps, please move to the weekend before so I can goto Arctangent too, thanks)

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Bjork feels like she should be but Bluedot is the same capacity. Sigur Ros might well be within their reach, they're doing two nights at Brixton Academy in November. The other potential I'd wonder about size-wise is Pavement.

Little Simz, anyone?

Feel like Bluedot splurged most of their budget on Bjork given the pretty lacking variety in acts on this year's line up.

GM have been fairly vocal about trying to book The National and Bon Iver, but have said they said they are probably beyond their reach now.

Bjork and Pavement seem on the outer limit of who they could book, but both are arguably similar to Kraftwerk who they managed to book.

I think Sigur Ros are exactly the right sort of size. Same with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Not sure where to place Phoebe and Simz, as both have had pretty meteoritic rises in the last year.  

Any of these acts would be very strong and if one of them were booked, then I’d expect the others to be a fair bit smaller. Idles and Mac Demarco, for example. 

2 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Not sure where to place Phoebe and Simz, as both have had pretty meteoritic rises in the last year.  

Any of these acts would be very strong and if one of them were booked, then I’d expect the others to be a fair bit smaller. Idles and Mac Demarco, for example. 

Well, we are owed a Demarco headline set...

I think Bridgers is going to be at least approaching the outskirts of what they could book, four instantly sold out nights at Brixton Academy and queues from 3am according to one source suggests her next visit will be a lot bigger. Simz is subheading Forwards* which has a 25-30k daily capacity so it's possible they could get her now in case she brings out something new in the next year and goes stratospheric. Who else could they realistically have as the "dancier" headliner?

( * where Self Esteem is listed below Kae Tempest, interestingly - maybe finish the Prioritise Pleasure era near enough where it started?)

7 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Well, we are owed a Demarco headline set...

I think Bridgers is going to be at least approaching the outskirts of what they could book, four instantly sold out nights at Brixton Academy and queues from 3am according to one source suggests her next visit will be a lot bigger. Simz is subheading Forwards* which has a 25-30k daily capacity so it's possible they could get her now in case she brings out something new in the next year and goes stratospheric. Who else could they realistically have as the "dancier" headliner?

( * where Self Esteem is listed below Kae Tempest, interestingly - maybe finish the Prioritise Pleasure era near enough where it started?)

Yeah I think Mac is unfortunately quite likely.

Simz definitely possible. Thought it was on this year.  I’m just worried she is too big now? Other dancier options would be Jon Hopkins and Bonobo I reckon.  Avalanches as well but think they would be sub headliner level. 

Simz, Bonobo and Phoebe are at the very end of their album touring cycles and have done loads of festivals and shows this year, so wouldn't make sense at next year unless they somehow managed to get new records recorded and released in time. So many of those sorts of acts have rinsed this year's festival circuit and I'd be sort of disappointed if they were on next summer's lineups too without new material.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs might be a good shout. I think Pet Shop Boys would be great, and are confirmed touring (and maybe could be in GM's price range if they managed to get Kraftwerk). King Gizzard I'm sure will have a new album out by then.

In terms of undercard I'd love to see Young Fathers, Forest Swords, Anna Calvi, Floating Points, Georgia all of whom have records coming.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Simz, Bonobo and Phoebe are at the very end of their album touring cycles and have done loads of festivals and shows this year, so wouldn't make sense at next year unless they somehow managed to get new records recorded and released in time. So many of those sorts of acts have rinsed this year's festival circuit and I'd be sort of disappointed if they were on next summer's lineups too without new material.

Agreed.  Would be much more exciting if someone like Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Sigur Ros did it, who have been absent from U.K. festivals for a while (I think).  Obviously Pavement would be huge as well, just seems to good to be true.

27 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

There's also a potential headline status for Laura Marling, who although you don't necessarily think of her has been a big deal for a while and is due a new album in the next year, and I think very soon one of GM and EOTR will bite the bullet.

She has headlined GM before and GM have only rarely repeated headliners (Fleet Foxes and Joanna Newsom are the only examples I think).  Could be possible though! 

Edited by lessthanwill1

Pavement could happen as by then they will have finished a big UK/EU tour meaning that there may be less competition to get them. 

Part of the reason that the Primavera Sound set was so special and talked about is that it was their first big show in over a decade. The fact they will have completed a sizeable tour by the time GM2023 comes around may well make it easier for GM to book them. 

I reckon it's unlikely but still possible. I feel like maybe they fit with EOTRs vibe a bit more but GM have more cash to throw around.