Volunteering 2023

neil93

11 minutes ago, chestwig said:

Can someone tell me. With this 'proceed' thing, do you eventually get logged out and need to log back in and do all the bit in the script to remove disable etc. 

Or as long as I say hit proceed every 10-15 minutes I would never be logged out?

It's varied for me. Some days it times out, other days it doesn't. I have had to re-amend the script a few times though - it just refreshes with the disabled bit repopulated randomly.

23 minutes ago, chestwig said:

Can someone tell me. With this 'proceed' thing, do you eventually get logged out and need to log back in and do all the bit in the script to remove disable etc. 

Or as long as I say hit proceed every 10-15 minutes I would never be logged out?

If you're using the page, i.e. hitting Proceed every half hour, you'll stay logged in. You're likely to be logged out overnight though.

I'm in the office today and the big bosses have all decided to come in, so not sneaky trying by me on the half hour - unless they all decide to leave early.

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

Note that for those coming with Oxfam, this bus will drop you at the wrong end of site, and you'll need to walk a couple of miles around the perimiter (you won't be able to go through the festival, as you won't have a wristband until you get to the Oxfam crew field...)

Even for the pre-festival shift if you get it? Any chance of hitching a lift with someone from bronze gate round the side? 

In this hypothetical scenario of getting early shifts I'm trying to decide if it's better to do that walk or shell out on a taxi.

You might get a lift, but not much traffic will be going that way without going through site (which you can't do...) - the route to the Oxfam field is via Purple, so people will have come at the site a whole different way.  

Walking, I guess it depends on how much stuff you have - it's two miles, which doesn't sound like much in a normal situation, but is a slog if you have weight to carry.

Presume you are going to Castle Cary?  If so, a cab will probably be easier, though you'll have to reassure them a bit as the last mile or so of the purple route is across fields (though if you get to the entrance to the purple route, someone will definitely give you a lift from there to Purple parking).

Best case scenario - we both get earlies, and I'll pick you up from the station on the way through yeah?

27 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

You might get a lift, but not much traffic will be going that way without going through site (which you can't do...) - the route to the Oxfam field is via Purple, so people will have come at the site a whole different way.  

Walking, I guess it depends on how much stuff you have - it's two miles, which doesn't sound like much in a normal situation, but is a slog if you have weight to carry.

Presume you are going to Castle Cary?  If so, a cab will probably be easier, though you'll have to reassure them a bit as the last mile or so of the purple route is across fields (though if you get to the entrance to the purple route, someone will definitely give you a lift from there to Purple parking).

Best case scenario - we both get earlies, and I'll pick you up from the station on the way through yeah?

I will take you up on that if I'm successful! I'm not paired with anyone and I've heard anecdotally that groups don't get earlies as often so maybe there's like a 10% chance of it.

5 hours ago, golden egg said:

How much notice would you get for this?

When I had earlies I got notification on my birthday- 5th June. Glastonbury is quite early this year so I think that notification might be too.

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I was somehow even further away, essentially at the back of sticklinch out on to the road. Stewards got 1 or 2 shifts out there in the wilds but supervisors were stuck there for all 3.

Yeah, myself and the missus was with you for the overnighter and the afternoon shift on the Sunday - it was great when you kept pulling out your big bag of sweets for a quick sugar rush 🤩

37 minutes ago, Stave_1974 said:

Yeah, myself and the missus was with you for the overnighter and the afternoon shift on the Sunday - it was great when you kept pulling out your big bag of sweets for a quick sugar rush 🤩

I remember you two! You doing it this year? No more big bags of sweets this year unfortunately. See the fitness thread for details. (In a nutshell, type 2 diabetes. Think there might be a connection...). 

4 minutes ago, Radiopaste said:

Yeah, loosing faith a little bit since the last positive signs on Thursday.

As somebody mentioned previously, it could just be that the person who uploads the returns is off.  Perhaps we won't see any for a while, although I seriously hope we do for our own sanity! Patience is not my best quality!

Edited by naivetyplay

8 minutes ago, naivetyplay said:

As somebody mentioned previously, it could just be that the person who uploads the returns is off.  Perhaps we won't see any for a while, although I seriously hope we do for our own sanity! Patience is not my best quality!

Distil alerts for other festivals have occurred so unless it's just the Glastonbury person off its just a quiet period for Glastonbury returns. Be nice to see one of us get one soon though to keep morale up.

It is gonna be a long game

11 minutes ago, naivetyplay said:

As somebody mentioned previously, it could just be that the person who uploads the returns is off.

Could be that they've just taken a long weekend, given there's been none on Friday or today, meaning action as normal tomorrow! I have zero evidence for this, but I'm gonna go ahead and believe it anyhow.

29 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Distil alerts for other festivals have occurred so unless it's just the Glastonbury person off its just a quiet period for Glastonbury returns. Be nice to see one of us get one soon though to keep morale up.

It is gonna be a long game

Indeed! Good point on the other festivals too. Like you say, it's a marathon not a sprint! At some point you'd think (hope) anybody outside of the hardcore here will start making other plans and therefore stop trying, if indeed they are at all. I'm ready to get one on the Monday night before Glasto if needs be!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I remember you two! You doing it this year? No more big bags of sweets this year unfortunately. See the fitness thread for details. (In a nutshell, type 2 diabetes. Think there might be a connection...). 

We're fortunate to have punter tickets this year, looking forward to a work free Glasto.... Yeah, I've seen your comments in the fitness thread - keep up the good work 👍

If I see you around I'll come and say hi....!

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

In 16 yearsbof stewarding all sorts of festivals for Oxfam, I've never had an early shift! They must have me down as a crap steward I reckon, perhaps cos I dont have sweets 😄

Last year was only my second, and I got earlies 🙃 however I do bring sweets and biscuits and presume this is clearly shown on my volunteer profile, hence the luck! Do you sign up on your own? It’s an oft-repeated observation that lone applicants are preferred for earlies cos they don’t have to worry about shift partners etc - dunno if it’s true but it makes a certain kind of sense 

22 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Last year was only my second, and I got earlies 🙃 however I do bring sweets and biscuits and presume this is clearly shown on my volunteer profile, hence the luck! Do you sign up on your own? It’s an oft-repeated observation that lone applicants are preferred for earlies cos they don’t have to worry about shift partners etc - dunno if it’s true but it makes a certain kind of sense 

Couples/pairs do ok too, but yeah, anymore than that and it gets increasingly unlikely 

21 hours ago, ohmygod said:

Trainig session for Shelter this evening.   Will be interesting to see if anything is different from last year.  It's starting I feel nearer...

I attended last nights training. It was the same PowerPoint as last year with the same jokes from Jeannie. I didn't spot anything new at all - same camping spot, same T shirts to be used. But she did refer to 2 new bars being staffed by Avalon - not sure if entirely new bars. Also interesting stat from Hannah from Shelter was that circa 70% of spaces were filled up with those who had worked before so who had early bird booking.