Volunteering 2023

neil93

12 hours ago, zico martin said:

any tips

It's not first come first served so you can relax on that front. You put in the application and hear back in around March maybe April. I think the deposit is also paid around then. You can say you want to work with other applicants so make sure you do that.

As for what to include, last year they had reduced the "personal statement" style bit to a short paragraph or two. Probably good to have at least looked at their key aims ... Look up their WaSH initiative. Unlike myabe the Oxfam role, you'll be on-site and engaging with punters actively rasing their profile so I think they want people who are on board with their work and messaging.

Good luck it's an ace way to see the festival and includes nice camping, showers, food and cool people!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zico martin said:

so I'll be trying for water aid on Tuesday, any tips on what i should include in my application? and when can i expect to find out and pay the deposit?  as my wife and eldest son is also trying is there anything i can do to help all our chances?

I've no experience of applying for Wateraid but as you don't find out until March/April, I'd be trying to get an Oxfam place on 1st Feb safe in the knowledge that you can cancel it if you are successful with Wateraid!

Just now, chestwig said:

I have never volunteered with Wateraid only Oxfam. 

With Wateraid are you always a campaigner for raising profile of charity? I.e collecting names for petitions etc... Or do you also have an opportunity for stewarding?

Also anybody got any idea what the shifts look like with Wateraid?

Wateraid have a very similar shift pattern to Oxfam - 3x8 hours I believe. with a morning/afternoon/overnight format.

options are either campaigning, water refill stations or toilet sanitation (which is brushing out cubicles, refilling soap dispensers, picking up nearby litter etc.) 

20 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Wateraid have a very similar shift pattern to Oxfam - 3x8 hours I believe. with a morning/afternoon/overnight format.

options are either campaigning, water refill stations or toilet sanitation (which is brushing out cubicles, refilling soap dispensers, picking up nearby litter etc.) 

It's previously been 4x6 hours and you've not been able to choose the role/team you get out into 

• Thanks 1

Sorry should have clarified.... you're Unlikely to get a campaigning role for water aid but whatever role you get is In the thick of the festival so is in effect part of the campaign strategy. 

My experience was 4x6 hour shifts (I was on the water kiosk at the park stage, it was banging!) And I don't recall there being any overnight shifts for anyone. Could be wrong though!

5 hours ago, Scrump said:

It's just sweeping, topping up toilet paper, hand sanitizer etc.

Any toilet that needs special attention gets done by a different organisation.

Anyone that leaves a toilet needing special attention needs special attention themselves. Am I right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Anyone that leaves a toilet needing special attention needs special attention themselves. Am I right?

You are right.  But I saw something on the shelf last year that looked like it couldn't have been produced by a human 😁

There's some right creatures out there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

You are right.  But I saw something on the shelf last year that looked like it couldn't have been produced by a human 😁

There may be such a thing as a time and a place for dirty protests. The festival is neither of those.

5 hours ago, stuie said:

Very true, although one of my coping mechanisms for the loos is I try and think of it from an empathetic point of view. I try not to assume it was someone just being a complete wrong-un and think it could have been someone with some kind of condition (crohns etc perhaps) where its a desperate situation.... no one is carrying around rubber gloves, bleach and a toilet brush so what can you do 🤷🏼‍♀️ And that must be very embarrassing and awful.

Haha, perhaps I'm naive but just my positive way of looking at the world 😇 I just go... oh dear poor person and move onto the next cubicle 🤣🤣

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

ah damn, i'm only at four festivals in the last couple of years 😄 this time next year i'll only have to drop half deposit though, that's a really decent idea for what are pretty much guaranteed to be really trustworthy people

It does really help me out as I'll only have £250 tied up rather than the £340 I was expecting. 

I'm trying for resale and if successful means I won't be having to shell out the £340 twice. 

OXFAM
When do applications open?

Our public stewarding applications will be opening mid-morning on Wednesday 1st February. We will be announcing the exact time at least one hour beforehand on our our website and on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter so keep an eye out or turn on notifications.

Once applications open, all you need to do is log in to your account, choose which festival/s you’d like to volunteer at, and pay your refundable deposit.

Your profile will be disabled for a few days to help ease traffic during our busy application period so you will need to check back a few days later to complete your details and provide a reference. 

Campaigning and Shop Volunteering applications will be opening mid-morning on Wednesday 8th February and follow a different application process which you can read on our campaigning and shop volunteering web pages.  

• Like 1

Just now, balti-pie said:

ah damn, i'm only at four festivals in the last couple of years 😄 this time next year i'll only have to drop half deposit though, that's a really decent idea for what are pretty much guaranteed to be really trustworthy people

Yeah, I qualify so that's nice. 

Guess they are also worried about experienced people returning. 

ahh, upon careful reading of the email, it says it includes events that were cancelled in the past five years, so in that case i think i'm in for the lower deposit because of glasto 20 and 21 being covidded . . .  thats a right result 👍

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

ahh, upon careful reading of the email, it says it includes events that were cancelled in the past five years, so in that case i think i'm in for the lower deposit because of glasto 20 and 21 being covidded . . .  thats a right result 👍

They never opened up applications for Glastonbury 2021, so you won't get credit for that.

In the end I think the only 2021 events that people were able to apply for but eventually got cancelled were Trees, WOMAD, and NASS.

edit: and the ill fated "In The Park" events

Edited by incident