Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

Just now, Alvoram said:

Don't forget, today is the first day of the 70k step week!!!

Today will be rubbish for me, I have a funeral 😞

But I have 6 days to make up for it!

Sorry to hear that hope it goes well. Next few days could be tricky weather wise but definitely over the week I will make sure I do over 70k steps. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Sorry to hear that hope it goes well. Next few days could be tricky weather wise but definitely over the week I will make sure I do over 70k steps. 

Appreciated, but I should have been clearer, we have a funeral that we're hosting. A sad occasion none the less, especially given the age of the young man, but we didn't know him. My apologies for the confusion. 

Today will be a very static day due to this, won't really move from behind the bar much. Will however try and get to the gym tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Appreciated, but I should have been clearer, we have a funeral that we're hosting. A sad occasion none the less, especially given the age of the young man, but we didn't know him. My apologies for the confusion. 

Today will be a very static day due to this, won't really move from behind the bar much. Will however try and get to the gym tonight. 

Ah I get you. Being tied to a desk all day is even worse. Just glad the days are getting longer. Within a month will feel like we all have much more of a life. 

Too cold for my walking football when I'm thinking about a gym session in the warm. Came in to the gym but can't do it yet as my instructer isn't here yet. Will wait around and do it in a while. 

Another aborted dog walk this morning. I wish I had known how noise sensitive my dog was going to end up being before I bought a house on a main road. Managed 12k steps yesterday. Hoping I can get out for another walk today or otherwise it could be a pretty abysmal day. Have been walking around the kitchen as the kettle boils. 

I'm not in the best place fitness wise. I have Osteitis Pubis and basically my gait is fucked as a result. I'm nursing myself through rugby by having weekly sessions in a hyperbaric chamber, and making sure I don't over or under exercise. If I push too hard the muscles around my pubic bone become inflamed and start screaming, meaning I can't engage my left hip properly and end up walking around dragging my left leg after me, in the fashion of a crippled pensioner. If I do too little exercise the muscles seize, with a similar but more painful effect. 

Given I've been used to doing loads of exercise for my entire life, this is proving very frustrating and not insignificantly damaging to my mental health. As a kid I was out on the street playing football from dawn to dusk whatever the weather, in my teenage years I was skating all day on a Saturday, playing a rugby match  on a Sunday morning and a football match on a Sunday afternoon. When I was at Uni I'd play rugby matches on Wednesday and Saturday, train on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and play Sunday league football on a Sunday morning, followed by five-a-side football on a Sunday evening. 

Now I basically walk around looking like I need a zimmer frame. 

In terms of Glastonbury I was fine last year, as rugby finished in April so I had a significant amount of rest before the festival and came through it without any issues other than a bit of stiffness - any pain hidden by consumption. I'm not going in 2023 (baby due) so not concerned about this year, but I think I'm going to nurse myself through one more season of rugby in 2023-24, organise a nice big testimonial send off in April 2024 and have a few months rest before Glastonbury. Just worried about what damage I'm doing to it between now and then. 

21 minutes ago, moogster said:

@Alvoram are you keeping up?

(apologies to all for the quite uninteresting post).

@blutarsky sorry to hear that 😞 Baby coming + body pains must combine in quite some stress? 

I blame baby number one to be honest 🤣

14 years of national league rugby without any significant injury, then in two years with no sleep I've been injured more often than not. Broken wrist on top of the osteitis pubis. She's killing me off! 

49 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I blame baby number one to be honest 🤣

14 years of national league rugby without any significant injury, then in two years with no sleep I've been injured more often than not. Broken wrist on top of the osteitis pubis. She's killing me off! 

Your daughter broke your wrist? 😲

@blutarskySorry to hear of your fitness issues. Have you been to a physio to see if there are any exercises you can do to help the injury?  Sadly I suspect some of these things are aging rather than fatherhood. This past few weeks I have had backache, shoulderache, neckache. One of my younger colleagues asked what had I done. I told her it was a sign of her youth. When you are young there's always a reason why you hurt but as you get older sometimes you just ache as punishment for things you did when you were younger!! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

@blutarskySorry to hear of your fitness issues. Have you been to a physio to see if there are any exercises you can do to help the injury?  Sadly I suspect some of these things are aging rather than fatherhood. This past few weeks I have had backache, shoulderache, neckache. One of my younger colleagues asked what had I done. I told her it was a sign of her youth. When you are young there's always a reason why you hurt but as you get older sometimes you just ache as punishment for things you did when you were younger!! 

Or in my case, didn't do. 

49 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm well known to the physios! I've got a standing weekly reservation for the hyperbaric chamber and have plenty of exercises to do. 

16 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I am definitely in 3 now. 

Maybe run differently?  As in less kms but faster? It's got something to do with how your body burns calories depending on heatzones I think. 

As in walking 10 kms will burn less calories than running 5 or something like that.

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I'm running 26 miles a week currently. 

Still not losing weight.

Surely I should be. I'm not eating wildly. Genuinely considering visiting the doctor!

Running 30-35 miles a week will lose 1lb. (100cal per mile). Weigh loss starts in the kitchen. Like the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet or in other words, running does not necessarily equate to weight loss. 
other platitudes are available 

9 hours ago, moogster said:

@Alvoram are you keeping up?

(apologies to all for the quite uninteresting post).

@blutarsky sorry to hear that 😞 Baby coming + body pains must combine in quite some stress? 

Nowhere near, not even hit 20k yet!!! 😮 (I forgot to put my watch on Monday after all that, but my phone logged 5k so at least I got smoething. Bloody busy day in the end too, I swear I'd have hit 10K!!!) 

I'll get there by Monday though 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Running 30-35 miles a week will lose 1lb. (100cal per mile). Weigh loss starts in the kitchen. Like the saying goes, you can’t outrun a bad diet or in other words, running does not necessarily equate to weight loss. 
other platitudes are available 

I’ve just got electricity put in the garage. I’ve got loads of fitness equipment (dumbbells, kettlebells, pull up bar etc) so once I’ve had a clear out of shite & got some decent flooring down in there I’ll be hitting that most evenings as well.

Glastonbury 19 I weighed 75kg. I now weigh 88kg.

Determined to get to 80kg by June.

Edited by JoeyT