Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

Really don't get the shitting on this lineup.

AM, Sam fender, stormzy, RHCP, Kasabian, 1975, Liam gallagher, Paolo nutini (I know his headline was trnsmt, home town gig) have all been headliners on festivals circuits past few years....that's 9 headline worthy acts at one festival!!

Also out of todays "smaller" acts.....snuts and murder capital are two of the best live bands about at the minute......some serious names lower down from previous announcements......this line up really has every act on the festival scene at the minute so I personally think its fantastic.....QOTSA.....the black keys....interpol.....I thought benicassim 2017 would not be topped but this blows its out the water 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I agree that this is not the best lineup considering the history of the festival, but if you look at this lineup it’s still one of the best out there (in my opinion only Primavera Sound is better) it has all the headliners from the other festivals (besides Blur and Kendrick) and it has music for all the tastes. 2023 is just a crappy year for music festivals, feels like nothing is touring and the ones that are, they are doing solo shows (Coldplay, Harry Styles, The Weeknd, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Paramore). I don’t know what people expected from this announcement, yes they could’ve got Janelle Monae or Lana del Rey, but besides that it’s stacked with everything that other festivals have or don’t have. 

I think you’ve hit the nail very firmly on the head here. I think we’ve come to expect a level from RW which they’ve set themselves, which is why when they don’t pull that special headliner out the bag (like Blur, Kendrick, Depeche Mode etc) that are at other festivals it just leaves it feeling a bit “ordinary”. You’re right about this announcement though, looking at the poster all of the big slots were already taken so it was only ever going to be smaller/mid sized bands, and I think they’ve done a good job of filling out the line up with them

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

I think you’ve hit the nail very firmly on the head here. I think we’ve come to expect a level from RW which they’ve set themselves, which is why when they don’t pull that special headliner out the bag (like Blur, Kendrick, Depeche Mode etc) that are at other festivals it just leaves it feeling a bit “ordinary”. You’re right about this announcement though, looking at the poster all of the big slots were already taken so it was only ever going to be smaller/mid sized bands, and I think they’ve done a good job of filling out the line up with them

And it's not only that, there is too much competition now, during the weekend of Rock Wercther there are a dozen of other big festivals like Roskilde, Opener, Lolla Stockholm, plus all the other smaller festivals like Dawn The Rabbit Hole, Longitude, Rolling Loud Rotterdam and so on. So even if Rock Werchter wanted to bring Kendrick and Blur they would probably not be able to bring other artists Arctic Monkeys or RHCP, and vice versa. So it's a game of choosing the right artists in the right moment, and think they did their job good. If you want to see Kendrick, Blur or Lana del Rey just go to Roskilde or Opener, it's impossible to have everything. 

Some absolute gems in that announcement today. We were never getting huge names today. 

RAYE’s debut album is stupendous, she’s a potential generational talent and an absolutely superb edition. The Reytons, Holly Humberstone and Kasabian are all fantastic gets too. Plenty to be excited about. 

Adding those names to an already stacked lineup has me feeling incredibly lucky to be going. Maybe it’s because it’s my first Werchter and I’m not jaded by past bills but this lineup has exceeded my expectations and I cannot wait for the end of June. 

2 hours ago, Aech2ElectricBoogaloo said:

Not booking Lizzo never mind booking Machine Gun Kelly over her is absolutely mind boggling. No surprise Inhaler is back however after that packed out Barn last year. Kasabian, Vintage Trouble, Stone great additions tho this may have swayed me over to going as I'm already gutted to be missing out this year.

That is not how it works, like MGK is booked instead of Lizzo…

there were some deals that collapsed in the end, as always… nothing new, it happens every year. 

Thursday main stage is not ready yet 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Cw91 said:

Will be 1st time going this year.

Just two quick questions.....is the lidl/aldi a car walk from the festival to stock up.

And does the festival curfue at midnight or does it go on until early morning?

1. No. You gotta go by bus to Leuven/Aarschot 

2. Main stage ends ad 1 am and that's it at the festival site. You can blow off some steam at The Hive 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

What time do things run to at The Hive? Is it generally just DJs there? Do they run all night or just post 1am?

I went last year and they played the worst mashups of 2000s songs imaginable until 3am. Don't recommend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kaboom Boxer said:

Haha was that just one night or every night? Also where is the stage in relation to where you can set your tents up?

Every. Single. Night. Bring earplugs if you're in Hive. 

Short walk for tents, couldn't tell you exactly how far since I was drunk going in and tired going out! But it's not bad at all. 

3 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Is it still super loud in the tents then?

Only if you're in Hive camping since the tents are minutes from the big DJ place, I think regular camping is a bit further away in the other direction but somebody else might have better advice there, only been once! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VCF said:

I mean we would just be missing an early afternoon act if that’s the case?

No way they’re pushing The 1975 and Sam Fender this low on the Main.

Not sure about that. The 1975 played 5th down on main stage in 2019. Sam Fender was supposed to play 3rd down last year, but only in the Barn. 

1 hour ago, Cw91 said:

Does this festival usually sell out quick?

Not sure what quick is. Not in a day like lowlands or primavera (sale has already being going on for months now), but as I recall combi tickets aren't as much as an issue as the day tickets. Saturday is already sold out and Friday is hella strong and surely will too.

Otherwise, festivals tend to post on social media when they sell out, so you can go back and check past years

Edited by Ohad

10 hours ago, Ohad said:

Not sure what quick is. Not in a day like lowlands or primavera (sale has already being going on for months now), but as I recall combi tickets aren't as much as an issue as the day tickets. Saturday is already sold out and Friday is hella strong and surely will too.

Otherwise, festivals tend to post on social media when they sell out, so you can go back and check past years

Whoa, I didn't know Lowlands are such a hot festival. Any ideas why it sells out so quickly vs. Werchter? I always thought Lowlands is kinda R&L Euro version...

3 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

It depends on the year. Last year it sold out in February but I've also experienced it never selling out at all. 

Ah ok....just curious as I saw they only post our tickets month before it starts....was planning on picking one up cheaper closer to time but I like the fact its physical tickets

2 hours ago, Name taken said:

Because it’s much much much smaller

65.0000 vs 88.000. Wouldn't call that much much smaller. Werchter does not sell 65.000 tickets in 15 minutes like Lowlands did. Not headline oriented and not just focussed on music. It has lots of music stages and a proper night line up, but also focusses on theatre, literature, science and art. Many people have been going for years and will buy tickets before the first names drop. 

• Thanks 1