Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

Tells a lot about the state of this edition (and next year’s festival summer to be fair) when Editors gets a separate announcement in 2022.

Did not like them at Hear Hear but at least it’s been a while, and they should be in the Barn (though one could see that as a waste of a spot...).

Edited by VCF

Editors actually headlined at Werchter back in the day due to them being popular in Belgium. Does this mean that they are co-headlining with Peppers? Don´t think I´ve heard of them for almost 10 years. 

Perhaps the Friday headliners are a back-up plan since neither RHCP, nor Editors, are "first timers". 

Edited by ParanoidTourist

1 minute ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Editors actually headlined at Werchter back in the day due to them being popular in Belgium. Does this mean that they are co-headlining with Peppers? Don´t think I´ve heard of them for almost 10 years. 

They will headline the barn.

37 minutes ago, VCF said:

Tells a lot about the state of this edition (and next year’s festival summer to be fair) when Editors gets a separate announcement in 2022.

Did not like them at Hear Hear but at least it’s been a while, and they should be in the Barn (though one could see that as a waste of a spot...).

Editors is imo a waste of any high spot, but they would be a total waste on that beautiful Barn headline spot. For sure if that would need to serve as the alternative for RHCP. 

Just put them in front of two co-headliners. Would make sense. Or even lower as they could not even sell-out Vorst anymore. 

34 minutes ago, VolkIreland said:

Forced hand announcement?

Very unusual rhythm to the announcements this year, definitely. I must admit that I’m now a Blur confirmation away from buying a ticket after the last two days, but appreciate it I’ll be in the minority.

With that being said I’ve wrote off Blur because if they had them they’d have surely been announced them by now since the last 3 announcements just seen to have been inundated with comments about them on the socials (and not by me, despite sounding like a broken record here haha) so it’s got me thinking about who they might have.

Youd imagine they don’t have Queen, as it looks like they’re announcing today and they wouldn’t have announced Editors if so. The fact Editors are headlining The Barn makes me think it’s someone a bit poppier (Billie Eilish perhaps? Maybe even Lizzo?) or someone a quite heavy (AC/DC? If RHCP have replaced Foos at both here and Pinkpop would it be someone like that to tick the rock box?)

Still feel that there’s a big co-headliner coming for the Thursday though. On the website with the way the bands are laid out, AM, RHCP and Muse are at the top, and then QOTSA are placed before Stromae which makes me think something else is coming for that day. I know what my preference is, but unsure as to who could fill in there. 

More confident about the undercard now having looked at what’s around near the time too, but I suppose time will tell

• Like 2

You know, you've got some decent acts and it's not like you're Lolla Berlin.

Don't stew in the water of your tears too long, you'll get wrinkled feet. - Rico 06/12/2022

Muse - one of the best live shows

Queens of the Stone age - super interesting guitar band 

RHCP - with an energized John F, a couple of good new tracks and great back catalogue

Stromae - live show looks cool 

Arctic monkeys - are actually the only weak link for me but they have a banging back catalogue 

5 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

There's a person on Festileaks who "jokingly" teased a repeat booking of RHCP last week, and mentioned Editors as Barn headliner yesterday.

Same person is now saying we'll get a package tomorrow.

Interesting. Imagine this could make or break a lot of people’s interest in Werchter so let’s see what they come back with

Yeah, tomorrow might seal the deal for me not to attend the full w-e next year, have been going for a few years, so will definitely miss it next summer, but such a high price is too high for me to see big names I've all seen before.

Gotta appreciate the fact that if you're weren't there last summer, this lineup will convince many people to buy a ticket.

10 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Interesting. Imagine this could make or break a lot of people’s interest in Werchter so let’s see what they come back with

Yes, totally agree! Interesting undercards might be a dealbreaker this year. Personally I am hoping for Foals, Liam Gallagher, Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Ghost and Julia Holter (among the ones that have been announced to other festivals). 

As mentioned before, Blur are obviously the biggest dealbreaker;) 

Edited by ParanoidTourist

12 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Yes, totally agree! Interesting undercards might be a dealbreaker this year. Personally I am hoping for Foals, Liam Gallagher, Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Ghost and Julia Holter (among the ones that have been announced to other festivals). 

As mentioned before, Blur are obviously the biggest dealbreaker;) 

I would love for all of those to be there! Sadly, I think Graspop rules Ghost out, but if we were to get The Prodigy or Placebo in their place that wouldn’t go amiss…

Tamino + Sigur Ros could be an amazing combo !
I'm pretty sure we'll have Porcupine Tree, Franz Ferdinand and Black Keys.

Maybe a blues act, Marcus King was good last year !  Bonamassa ?

jacob Collier is at Mad cool, and he 's amazing, hope we can see him in the barn, he deserve it !

17 hours ago, DDave said:

Played Pukkelpop in 1997. I don't see them playing there as well tbh and think they'd get a LCD or Stone Roses sized crowd there (i.e. very small) but just find it odd that they've not been announced yet. Maybe they're waiting till the 2nd Wembley date sells out, I dunno. 

Blur didn't play PKP in 1997. They were booked and on the poster, and due to sub/co-headline with Chemical Brothers, but they pulled out at the very last minute (possibly even on the day itself, IIRC), with Damon claiming he had "throat issues"...

1 hour ago, 49Lawson said:

Very unusual rhythm to the announcements this year, definitely. I must admit that I’m now a Blur confirmation away from buying a ticket after the last two days, but appreciate it I’ll be in the minority.

With that being said I’ve wrote off Blur because if they had them they’d have surely been announced them by now since the last 3 announcements just seen to have been inundated with comments about them on the socials (and not by me, despite sounding like a broken record here haha) so it’s got me thinking about who they might have.

Youd imagine they don’t have Queen, as it looks like they’re announcing today and they wouldn’t have announced Editors if so. The fact Editors are headlining The Barn makes me think it’s someone a bit poppier (Billie Eilish perhaps? Maybe even Lizzo?) or someone a quite heavy (AC/DC? If RHCP have replaced Foos at both here and Pinkpop would it be someone like that to tick the rock box?)

Still feel that there’s a big co-headliner coming for the Thursday though. On the website with the way the bands are laid out, AM, RHCP and Muse are at the top, and then QOTSA are placed before Stromae which makes me think something else is coming for that day. I know what my preference is, but unsure as to who could fill in there. 

More confident about the undercard now having looked at what’s around near the time too, but I suppose time will tell

Exact same  for me  . Blur will make to purchase straight away along with the announcements so far

Just having a look at last year’s pre-Christmas bigger announcements. There was one on 03/12 of 5 names (TWOD, Greta Van Fleet, Yungblud, Royal Blood and Lewis Capaldi) and one on 24/11 with 16 names (including people like QOTSA and high Barn/Klub C slots).

Hoping that we get something closer to the 24/11 announcement, with a bigger amount of names of a similar ilk. Looking around at other festivals and assuming that we already know The Lumineers and Tamino; I’m hoping something along the lines of the Thursday co-head (Blur) with Liam Gallagher, Franz Ferdinand, Placebo, Interpol, The Black Keys, Christine & The Queens, My Morning Jacket, Sigur Ros, The 1975, Puscifer and then it’s punctuated with some good dance acts for Klub C.

Appreciate that’s probably far too heavy in one genre, but looking at what is around I don’t see why they can’t all be there in some capacity 

Edited by 49Lawson

Good news if Editors are headlining the Barn... Would have been the exact same duo at 2016 with the RHCP. One announcement yesterday, one announcement today, hopefully one tomorrow?! My source who said this weekend we had to wait January didn't understand well I think!

EDIT: Didn't expect him but we can rule out Travis Scott as he's just been announced for Les Ardentes on July 7th.

Edited by Archi

2 hours ago, Archi said:

Good news if Editors are headlining the Barn... Would have been the exact same duo at 2016 with the RHCP. One announcement yesterday, one announcement today, hopefully one tomorrow?! My source who said this weekend we had to wait January didn't understand well I think!

EDIT: Didn't expect him but we can rule out Travis Scott as he's just been announced for Les Ardentes on July 7th.

Amazed festivals booking Travis can still get insured 

3 hours ago, VCF said:

https://rollingloudrotterdam.nl/2022/12/05/kendrick-lamar-and-travis-scott-confirmed-as-headliner

KENDRICK LAMAR playing Rotterdam on Friday.

Stromae / Kendrick hopes still alive?

That would be a dream cone true but after getting RHCP 2 years in a row and Editors I am losing confidence in RW showing even the slightest interest in booking somthing progressive... 

Kendrick Lamar was easily the bet indoor show Ive seen this year though. It would be aazing for RW to be able to present this. 

11 hours ago, Dietediet said:

There's a person on Festileaks who "jokingly" teased a repeat booking of RHCP last week, and mentioned Editors as Barn headliner yesterday.

Same person is now saying we'll get a package tomorrow.

They just added that the package will contain over 30 names.

But one of their comments also implies that we shouldn't have too high hopes about the quality of the lineup...

• Upvote 3