Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Impressive. Might've been tricky for me to make that given it was during my GCSE exams though aha.

2014 and 2018 are two I'd considered hopping over the Channel for tbf. That 2013 one up above is also a good looking one, while 2010 had a few I'd see dotted around.

Yeah, it was wonderful! 

Those years tou mention were nice additions as well, especially 2013 and 2018.

15 hours ago, Gossard said:

On this day 10 years ago RW added Sigur Rós, Of Monsters and Men, Band of Horses, 30 Seconds to Mars, Graveyard, Airbourne, Phoenix, Bloc Party, Two Door Cinema Club among other bands....adding to Depeche Mode, Rammstein, Green Day, Blur, Kings of Leon, Volbeat, Editors and others...oh how the mighty as fallen 😉

...no, not all of these bands are my kind of music, but the over-all lineup is miles better then the current one!

My first edition. I paid over the odds as a paid for two day tickets but then bought a third, expensive but brought me back year on year. (I'm waiting in the last names before I commit to this year, will be the first year I've missed if I don't see the acts I like)

21 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

The Smile is out as they will be touring US again during RW. That's very sad news! It was one of the bands I had my hopes on for saving that Thursday for me. You could say I lost my Smile reading that email I just received from them... 😞

Damn it! I was hoping for them too. Such a great live band! I guess it´s up to Iggy to save Thursday then;) 

The line up still very disappointing, a lot of good bands and artists are sadly out :

Blur, Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Lizzo, Kendrick Lamar, Thundercat, Incubus, Rina Sawayama, Alter Bridge, Franz Ferdinand, Tash Sultana, The Prodigy, Depeche mode, Pet Shop Boys, St Vincent and a lot of other bands that are in Europe this summer..

I still found this year with a very poor line up.
My friends and me  will not be there this year, and we are very disappointed because Werchter usually is the best festival for us.. This is the first year we feel this.

3 hours ago, mikebat said:

The line up still very disappointing, a lot of good bands and artists are sadly out :

Blur, Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Lizzo, Kendrick Lamar, Thundercat, Incubus, Rina Sawayama, Alter Bridge, Franz Ferdinand, Tash Sultana, The Prodigy, Depeche mode, Pet Shop Boys, St Vincent and a lot of other bands that are in Europe this summer..

My friends and me  will not be there this year, and we are very disappointed because Werchter usually is the best festival for us.. This is the first year we feel this.

Why are The Mars Volta, Porcupine Rree, Lizzo and Incubus out?

Could easily be some of the bigger names in the next (last?) batch of names. Or are they announced elsewhere?

54 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

Why are The Mars Volta, Porcupine Rree, Lizzo and Incubus out?

Could easily be some of the bigger names in the next (last?) batch of names. Or are they announced elsewhere?

My biggest wish from those names, Porcupine Tree, are in Manchester on the 29th so they could only be available for Sat/Sun. It's more likely to see them at Graspop than RW though. Incubus are a strong possibility but again they might end up at Graspop instead (in their case RW has more chances I believe). 

The Mars Volta is one of the names I expect to see included in the upcoming announcements. They are available and touring with RHCP and Iggy a few days before RW.

Lizzo is not my cup of tea so I have no idea but it seems to me that Stormzy took the place that would have been hers if she was there.

10 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

I don't think so. She would 've claimed a high spot if she was there and I don't see one available anymore. Unless her status nowadays is lower than I think.

True! Don't know her current status in Belgium but I guess she would play at minimum 3rd down on main stage. 

13 hours ago, mikebat said:

There's no reason to rule out Rina Sawayama yet. She's playing a show in Brussels in two weeks that surprisingly hasn't sold out yet, which is probably why she hasn't announced any Belgian festival date. 

On 1/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, Archi said:

I guess we have the strong name next to Stromae...

1. Stromae - Stromzy - Sam Fender.
2. Red Hot - Liam Gallagher - Black Keys. 
3. Muse - Oscar And The Wolf - Machine Gun Kelly.
4. Arctic Monkeys - Queens Of The Stone Age - Lil Nas X.

This first day looks so akward next to the 3 others...

RHCP playing again after last year's snoozeshow is a lot more awkward. 

1 minute ago, Gossard said:

Are we expecting any new names today?

Nop. This week was all bout Pukkelpop. Next week should be for GraspopWerchter has announced all their headliners already and the major part of undercards so I guess we'll wait at least 2-3 more weeks to have more names... except if some days are not selling well.

7 minutes ago, Archi said:

Nop. This week was all bout Pukkelpop. Next week should be for GraspopWerchter has announced all their headliners already and the major part of undercards so I guess we'll wait at least 2-3 more weeks to have more names... except if some days are not selling well.

It would be very interesting to see ticket sales numbers as ticket sales is the best way to see if a lineup is good or not...

2 hours ago, Gossard said:

It would be very interesting to see ticket sales numbers as ticket sales is the best way to see if a lineup is good or not...

I'm a RW regular, I usually don't complain about lineups and I don't want to sound selfish but to be very honest, I kinda secretly hope that sales (especially one day tickets for Thursday) this year won't be high (at least not yet) in order to send a message.

I have nothing against pop and hiphop and I think it's great that all genres are being represented in my favourite festival, it's just that the way that the lineup was being formed in the past was making RW a bit more special and different than all the others of its kind and size. There are a gazillion festivals taking place around us these days and we don't need 10x of the same. We don't need 10 Pinkpops or Pukkelpops. It's nice to have different flavours to choose from and RW had its unique flavour. Yes I understand the argument of "money talks" but I think in the long term it will not pay off. Just an opinion...

• Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

I'm a RW regular, I usually don't complain about lineups and I don't want to sound selfish but to be very honest, I kinda secretly hope that sales (especially one day tickets for Thursday) this year won't be high (at least not yet) in order to send a message.

I have nothing against pop and hiphop and I think it's great that all genres are being represented in my favourite festival, it's just that the way that the lineup was being formed in the past was making RW a bit more special and different than all the others of its kind and size. There are a gazillion festivals taking place around us these days and we don't need 10x of the same. We don't need 10 Pinkpops or Pukkelpops. It's nice to have different flavours to choose from and RW had its unique flavour. Yes I understand the argument of "money talks" but I think in the long term it will not pay off. Just an opinion...

Agreed! And since I trusted them based on historic merits and will be going anyway, I don't mind sharing the space with a little bit less people 😉

4 hours ago, Gossard said:

Normally I would agree, but with the inflation people who'd like to go simply might not have the funds this year.