LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Without digging into it too much, if we get more than 1 between now and the end of the month, we'll be a little ahead of schedule.

We had the three early ones last time, then they started coming thick and fast from the 29th onwards.

Screenshot_20240421_124128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1bf56ec6c38b4de2a8e6bd664bf4d51.jpg

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Without digging into it too much, if we get more than 1 between now and the end of the month, we'll be a little ahead of schedule.

We had the three early ones last time, then they started coming thick and fast from the 29th onwards.

Screenshot_20240421_124128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1bf56ec6c38b4de2a8e6bd664bf4d51.jpg

But of course, there is no pattern... Expecting April to be rammed with one a day then nothing in May at all...

20 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Yeah, now they have the official overall soldout there is no need to out extra drops out suddenly early. I think that's the only reason we got 3 drops given as well to extra protect themselves especially as the lineup was late as we essentially already got the WHs lineup on the first poster so Avalon and one other was all I expected.

As hard as it still was for people, I think 18 minutes resale showed a few more went back into the pot than it sounded like.

16 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Yeah, now they have the official overall soldout there is no need to out extra drops out suddenly early. I think that's the only reason we got 3 drops given as well to extra protect themselves especially as the lineup was late as we essentially already got the WHs lineup on the first poster so Avalon and one other was all I expected.

As hard as it still was for people, I think 18 minutes resale showed a few more went back into the pot than it sounded like.

Often I don't think the time to sell out is reflective of the number of tickets available. There's even a fair bit of variation in the time for the main sale to sell out each year and that's with a largely static number of tickets available so definitely other factors at play.

Think Emily said this year was the highest percentage of balance payments ever, didn't she? 

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

As far as I can make out (technical hitches aside), the sale times are basically down to how quick SEE and the festival want it to be.

Last year's resale was quicker because you didn't have to enter payment details. 

Also, the line-up wasn't late, it was the earliest it has ever been.

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

As far as I can make out (technical hitches aside), the sale times are basically down to how quick SEE and the festival want it to be.

Last year's resale was quicker because you didn't have to enter payment details. 

People are just far too impatient these days mate.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Do you have any data on announcements immediately after resale? Like whether there are frequent announcements on Mondays after resale or whether the resale typically marks the start of area announcements kicking into gear etc?

31 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Do you have any data on announcements immediately after resale? Like whether there are frequent announcements on Mondays after resale or whether the resale typically marks the start of area announcements kicking into gear etc?

Does he have any data...?

Hahahahahaha

Ben

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

If you're still pushing the Emily is a liar narrative would you care to explain why you think she'd make stuff up?

The end result is no different - all tickets are sold.  Because it took 18 minutes she must have been bullshitting? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

The request was more specific than that though wasn't it? 

Gherkin8r

Yes, of course - I was just being cheeky! But he is The Thingy. He has data on frickin' everything. More stats than Major League Baseball (niche reference, I realise...). 

Ben

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Often I don't think the time to sell out is reflective of the number of tickets available. There's even a fair bit of variation in the time for the main sale to sell out each year and that's with a largely static number of tickets available so definitely other factors at play.

Think Emily said this year was the highest percentage of balance payments ever, didn't she? 

Yes

59 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Okay, it's the latest we've ever had a first announcement of significant kind. 

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

If you're still pushing the Emily is a liar narrative would you care to explain why you think she'd make stuff up?

The end result is no different - all tickets are sold.  Because it took 18 minutes she must have been bullshitting? 

No I'm not pushing anything at all.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Yes.

In the last 20 years, the only ones where sell-out time has any relevance whatsoever and can be used to even guess something about demand was for the 2008-2010 festivals (which didn't sell out in the initial rush).

If it's selling out in the initial rush, as every other festival has done, then it follows that they could theoretically sell out in 1 second if the systems were scaled and configured to do so.

11 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Okay, it's the latest we've ever had a first announcement of significant kind.

No, it's not - not even close! 

2024 - 14th March 

3 March:  First Lineup poster  (2023)
4 March:  
First Lineup poster  (2022)
12 March:  
First Lineup poster   (2020)

14 March: First Lineup poster (2024)
15 March:  
First Lineup poster  (2019)
27 March:  Main Stages  (2013)
29 March:  First Lineup poster  (2016)
30th March:  First Lineup poster  (2017)

4 April:  First Lineup poster, most of main stages  (2014)
11 April:  Full Lineup  (2005)
14 April:  Main stages  (2010)  /  Main stages  (2011)   First Lineup poster (no 3rd headliner)  (2015)
29 April:  Main Stages  (2008)

22 May:  Full Lineup and times  (2014)
25 May:  Full Lineup  (2009)
29 May:  Full Lineup  (2008)  /  29 May:  
Full Lineup with times  (2019)
30 May:  Full Lineup  (2003)  /  Full Lineup  (2013)  /  Full Lineup including days and times  (2017)  /  
Full Lineup including days and times  (2022)
31 May:  Full Lineup  (2007)   Full Lineup including days and times (2016)

1 June:  Lineup announced in The Guardian  (2000)
1 June:  Full Lineup  (2004)
2 June:  Full Lineup including days & set times  (2015)
13 June:  Full Lineup with times  (2011)
17 June:  Full Lineup with times  (2010)
19 June:  Full Lineup  (2002)

29 minutes ago, stuie said:

No, it's not - not even close! 

2024 - 14th March 

3 March:  First Lineup poster  (2023)
4 March:  
First Lineup poster  (2022)
12 March:  
First Lineup poster   (2020)

14 March: First Lineup poster (2024)
15 March:  
First Lineup poster  (2019)
29 March:  First Lineup poster  (2016)
30th March:  First Lineup poster  (2017)

4 April:  First Lineup poster, most of main stages  (2014)
14 April:  Main stages  (2010)  /  Main stages  (2011)   First Lineup poster (no 3rd headliner)  (2015)
29 April:  Main Stages  (2008)

22 May:  Full Lineup and times  (2014)
25 May:  Full Lineup  (2009)
29 May:  Full Lineup  (2008)  /  29 May:  
Full Lineup with times  (2019)
30 May:  Full Lineup  (2003)  /  Full Lineup  (2013)  /  Full Lineup including days and times  (2017)  /  
Full Lineup including days and times  (2022)
31 May:  Full Lineup  (2007)   Full Lineup including days and times (2016)

1 June:  Lineup announced in The Guardian  (2000)
2 June:  Full Lineup including days & set times  (2015)
13 June:  Full Lineup with times  (2011)
17 June:  Full Lineup with times  (2010)
19 June:  Full Lineup  (2002)

But is this including headliner announcements, because we've usually had a couple before Christmas, or one around November, one just after the new year?

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But is this including headliner announcements, because we've usually had a couple before Christmas, or one around November, one just after the new year?

That was the only difference this year. The first poster dropped earlier than normal but usually we have known (officially) a headliner of 2 or a legend slot prior to the poster dropping.

10 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

These are the years where we've found out headliners later than this year:

15 March:  First Lineup poster  (2019)
16 March:  Kanye West  (2015)  /   Ed Sheeran  (2017)
18 March:  Adele  (2016)

4 April:  First Lineup poster, one headliner missing  (2014)
14 April:  Chemical Brothers, Travis & Bowie  (2000)

6 May:  The Who  (2015)
22 May:  Full Lineup, Metallica  (2014)
30 May:  Full Lineup  (2003)
31 May:  Full Lineup  (2007)

19 June:  Lineup leaked by Guardian, Full Lineup  (2002)

https://theglastothingy.com/whendoes/

2 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

2009: 15 days, confirmation of acts so far

2010: 3 days, line-up 

2011: 3 days, Rastamouse 

2013: 3 days, 6 Acoustic Stage acts

2014: 11 days, line-up 

2015: 5 days, T&C

2016: 10 days, Silver Hayes 

2017: 2 days, Silver Hayes

2019: 2 days, T&C

2022: 15 days, Avalon

2023: 5 days, Croissant Neuf

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

2009: 15 days, confirmation of acts so far

2010: 3 days, line-up 

2011: 3 days, Rastamouse 

2013: 3 days, 6 Acoustic Stage acts

2014: 11 days, line-up 

2015: 5 days, T&C

2016: 10 days, Silver Hayes 

2017: 2 days, Silver Hayes

2019: 2 days, T&C

2022: 15 days, Avalon

2023: 5 days, Croissant Neuf

Appreciate this!

Moral of the story is there's no pattern then.

• Upvote 1