Isle of Wight 2023

galbani

On 11/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, luckysalt said:

Few things, one is there's absolutely very few female artists who could headline a festival like IOW I agree, there's like Adele, but that ain't happening. Last time Pink headlined a similar festival she killed off V Festival for good. It's all well and good waving the flag for this but it won't sell. 

IOW is clearly aimed at an older audience with a smattering of things for the children (moreso grown up children) As in 50 year olds going with their mid 20s kids kind of thing as family break away together.

You will see more safe bets than ever next year and that's fine, it's their business. Stick with what works. 

Going back to Victorious as mentioned by a few people, they know what works it's a pretty much 50/50 line up of current and 90s Indie and pop. They aren't going to start booking current grime artists or something as a headliner because they know it's not their audience. 

Victorious strays away from that and it will be their downfall like it was V's when they went too much down the pop route and then tried to start adding in other genres. 

Victorious took a gamble once and added a rock stage, it was low key acts but some decent stuff there, I watched a couple of acts, it was absolutely dead, no one was interested, it didn't pull in new crowds and the existing punters didn't care. 

Reading is a festival that has to try and move with the times as its main user base is 16-18 year olds. 

Not every fest has to do this.

I think once it's padded out IOW will look fine it's just a little too pop heavy at the moment. 

EDIT and no, this wasn't all based at you gfa 🤣 I just couldn't be arsed to multi quote sorry! 

Agree with most of this except bold - IOW will move with the times as its main user base's tastes change, as will all festivals - but the change is so slow that its impossible to notice vs reading

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

Didn’t get Glastonbury tickets, so going to do this. Pulp and Blondie will be the bands I will be most excited to see. Never done this festival before 👍

Tickets go very cheap close to the time if you haven't bought already.

My mate paid £80 in 2019 and i got a freebie off a kind gent from here!

How does this festival compare to Victorious? I went to Victorious last year for a day, ended up being disappointed due to the overcrowding and poor organisation with the buses. I'm finding myself more drawn to the smaller festivals (more friendly atmosphere and less corporate), which this obviously isn't, but it is local and I feel I should give it a go to tick it off the bucket list. 

Edited by CRW5252

I've been to almost every single Victorious and can, quite categorically say, that last year's was not the best/particularly representative. It was super aggy. 

I've also been to IoW before (although it's been a while) and I've found it to be a good vibe. A bit more eclectic, slightly older crowd, I wouldn't say it feels Island-y. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2022 at 1:42 PM, Mr Boo said:

Will Pulp and Human League sets be on at the same time?

Would like to catch both if possible 😊

I found it impossible to get into the Big Top after about 7pm every day last year, with the 1 in 1 out policy. You might have to miss a chunk of Pulp if you want to make sure you can get in. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gregory said:

I found it impossible to get into the Big Top after about 7pm every day last year, with the 1 in 1 out policy. You might have to miss a chunk of Pulp if you want to make sure you can get in. 

Thanks, good to know. Will probably end up missing Human League which is a shame, but really looking forward to seeing Pulp again and will want to hang around for the encore 👍

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

Peter Hook is a nice addition 👍

He's very good live and quite excited by the addition. Overall though, I feel like a lot of this is just Victorious sloppy seconds. I'm off to Glastonbury the week after and fully expecting to get Blondie and Pulp there too. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 10:12 PM, retrokev said:

looking like no this feeling tent this year.big loss

It is included in a recent email they have sent out:

🚨 We're so excited to welcome back all of your favourite stages and areas to the island this year  🚨 

Cirque de la Quirk | Electro Love 80’s & 90’s | The Hipshaker Lounge | The Intoxicated Tea Rooms | Kashmir Cafe  | Kidzone | Octopus' Garden | Old Mout Kiwi Camp | Platform One Stage | River Stage | The Strongbow Yard | This Feeling Stage

The Last Dinner Party also added to Big Top line up

On 5/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, Tommy101 said:

It is included in a recent email they have sent out:

🚨 We're so excited to welcome back all of your favourite stages and areas to the island this year  🚨 

Cirque de la Quirk | Electro Love 80’s & 90’s | The Hipshaker Lounge | The Intoxicated Tea Rooms | Kashmir Cafe  | Kidzone | Octopus' Garden | Old Mout Kiwi Camp | Platform One Stage | River Stage | The Strongbow Yard | This Feeling Stage

The Last Dinner Party also added to Big Top line up

yep confirmed that on forum.they managed to get sponsors,which great