Football 2022/23

charlierc

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

who get more than a fair share of big/controversial decisions go their way

not true, been looked into again and again. if anything the opposite is true. just like penalties at old trafford.

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Leicester and Everton both looked absolutely dire, there. As do Leeds. No idea who is going to go down at this stage, it really does seem to be a race to the bottom.

I think Southampton have gone and it will be two out of the five above them. I think West Ham might need maybe five points to start breathing easily.

On 4/30/2023 at 6:26 PM, charlierc said:

Coming back from 3-0 down to equalise is at least something. Conceding to make it 4-3 straight away also feels like a very Spurs thing to do.

I mean it's an improvement on their 6-1 mauling by Newcastle last weekend, but it still isn't exactly enough to stop everyone else mocking them.

even their manager mocked them, "experts in failure".

16 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I can get over that, but when people question the integrity of the officials, to me it’s a step too far. The idea that there is a big conspiracy and certain referees are against certain teams is silly

It's an easy out. Wolves and Fulham's managers have been doing this spiel for most of the season as well, but much as the referees aren't perfect and in some cases have made some pretty poor errors this season, it's still not evidence of a conspiracy and it's kinda getting tedious. And I say this as someone who can point at 4/5 refereeing fuck-ups in Newcastle games this season if I fancied a whine.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Nah, he's always been incredibly whiny. Things like the length of grass, the width of the pitch, etc are moans that go back to the before times. 

I remember Alan Pardew many years ago blaming the Notting Hill Carnival for Newcastle losing a game at Chelsea. Least we haven't reached that bizarre stage with Klopp yet

... although give it time. Maybe he'll blame Eurovision as a distraction if they lose any of the games played around the city hosting that.

11 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Leicester and Everton both looked absolutely dire, there. As do Leeds. No idea who is going to go down at this stage, it really does seem to be a race to the bottom.

Southampton, Everton and Leeds for me. Forest perhaps need 5 points. I can't see Leeds getting anything against city and Newcastle, likewise Everton against Brighton and City.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Southampton, Everton and Leeds for me. Forest perhaps need 5 points. I can't see Leeds getting anything against city and Newcastle, likewise Everton against Brighton and City.

Can't see Leeds or Leicester getting anything in their last four games (Big Sam to the rescue for Leeds!), Forest seem to have a bit of fight about them.

Everton have got City, Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth. Maybe they can scratch together enough to survive

28 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Can't see Leeds or Leicester getting anything in their last four games (Big Sam to the rescue for Leeds!), Forest seem to have a bit of fight about them.

Everton have got City, Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth. Maybe they can scratch together enough to survive

I think Leicester will get to at least 34 points, which will be enough. They have fulham and they seem to have gone on there holidays since losing mitrovic. Beat them and at least a point against west ham who will probably be safe then. 

Season defining game for forest this weekend, beat Southampton and I think another point or so will see them safe. 

Up to Leeds and everton and the last 2 games. they would both need to win both for me. 

9 hours ago, thetime said:

Sam Allardyce to Leeds. 🤣

One of the most puzzling moves of all - no mean feat given how sacking crazy this season has been. Javi Gracia hasn't done very well, but a new manager getting only 4 games never feels like it goes well, and also feels very much like a hard pivot away for what Leeds fans want.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Interesting timing with this leak. Points deduction incoming?

More ahead of the football governance side of things - i think it is timed but more at the PL and not specifically Everton.

There was no legal obligation to not work with Russians at that time - you can't punish the club in retrospect for the time period they're talking about. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

25 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

More ahead of the football governance side of things - i think it is timed but more at the PL and not specifically Everton.

Only thing that makes me think the club isn't being set up to be obliterated is the stadium being listed on the Euro 2028 bid. I wonder if a new owner has already been lined up? I've read certain loans are dependant on Premier league football and would be immediately called in on relegation.

59 minutes ago, lost said:

Only thing that makes me think the club isn't being set up to be obliterated is the stadium being listed on the Euro 2028 bid. I wonder if a new owner has already been lined up? I've read certain loans are dependant on Premier league football and would be immediately called in on relegation.

It definitely sounds like there's something in the pipeline - Paul Joyce at the Times is one of the more reliable on this sort of thing. if this happens, then you'd expect it'll offset the administration/bankruptcy potential that could come with relegation.

It won't make us able to buy any players (we'd still be putting out a youth team/anyone we can't get rid of next year after selling everyone we can due to the strict EFL profitability rules), but it would give us the funding to avoid the worst case scenario of AFC St Domingo or whatever

And hopefully the new board members will start to run the club like a proper business rather than some local club of the past. I don't care about the "identity" or the "Everton way" because that's what's put us on the brink of oblivion. 

If Moshiri had appointed a proper competent board with football experience over the past few years, instead of buying into the romantic nonsense that Everton needs to be a community club or the "people's club" under the "stewardship" of local people who support them, we'd be nowhere near this position.

Obviously it won't be a short term process but that's probably the only thing that would convince me we may one day move in the right direction to return. 

I wouldn't expect we'll own the stadium though. Coventry style situation.

Edited by efcfanwirral

5 hours ago, lost said:

Interesting timing with this leak. Points deduction incoming?

Some of that stuff is mind blowing. I'm sure if is rife amongst football and big business in general but bloody hell...

"The club has also received about £150m in loans from an opaque lender called Rights & Media Funding Limited (RMFL), a Cheshire-based company its lawyers said last year competed “with some of the largest names in sports financing”, although it does not possess a single employee, a website or a phone number.

As the Guardian reported in November, RMFL also appears to have borrowed much of its money from a company based in the offshore secrecy jurisdiction of the Bahamas, which started lending to RMFL just six months after the offshore firm was established and does not reveal its source of funds."

2 hours ago, LJS said:

Good luck the Queens 🎉

What a season in the Scottish Championship. Last games tonight and 9 of the 10 teams can still go up or down 😳 Only Raith with nothing to play for.

Ayr have been 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in last 15 minutes of the first half. Minimum of 4th required for play off 🙏

Winner takes all to win the league is currently 3-3 at half time 👏 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Good luck the Queens 🎉

What a season in the Scottish Championship. Last games tonight and 9 of the 10 teams can still go up or down 😳 Only Raith with nothing to play for.

Ayr have been 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in last 15 minutes of the first half. Minimum of 4th required for play off 🙏

Winner takes all to win the league is currently 3-3 at half time 👏 

I had half an eye on the game and shocked to see an ex Wrexham player Kwame Thomas is at Dundee. Can’t see him doing anything in the SPL if they keep him.