The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

2016 was a shitshow, awful conditions underfoot (and what should be underarse) all week. However. those conditions did create an atmosphere that led to one of if not the greatest set the festival or even the world has ever seen.

Earth wind and fire was an awful lot of fun, but i dont know if i'd go as far as to say it was one of the greatest sets of all time 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think it may have been revealed in this article- but its paywalled so not certain

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-goes-behind-the-scenes-at-glastonbury-7sckjg86l

“I’ve never had so many people in tears in my office,” Eavis recalls. “The beefiest security guards, they’d walk in and just weep. There were very strong suggestions that we pull the entire festival. The roads were blocked, we couldn’t get people on or off site …”

https://archive.is/ee7rr#selection-1195.0-1195.264

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

"“The only thing that will ever stop us,” he says, firmly, “is Chinese chicken flu. That’s the only one. We never stop for rain. Nothing would ever, ever stop me.”

*Checks Date - 2019*

Did he know something we didn’t!?!  😱

Edited by foolsgold1981

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Is it just me or are these nostalgic weather posts turning into humble brags, subtly boasting about how many Glastonburys and surviving the toughest conditions 😜🤣🤣

If only there was a 'medal' reaction 

No. It’s s Glastonbury forum where I like to reminisce about Glastonbury with other people who go to Glastonbury regarding the weather of previous Glastonbury’s in the weather thread. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Is it just me or are these nostalgic weather posts turning into humble brags, subtly boasting about how many Glastonburys and surviving the toughest conditions 😜🤣🤣

If only there was a 'medal' reaction 

I'll happily take a medal 🎖️

16 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Thanks for digging the archive out, that's a bloody brilliant read.

Also... Just how can you NOT love this man!!!

At this point, Michael Eavis – Emily’s father, founder and co-organiser of Glastonbury – comes in. Despite it being January and cold, he’s wearing his customary outfit of shorts and sandals, augmented with black, leather, fingerless gloves. He’s a powerful presence, even at the age of 83. He immediately seems to know what the conversation is about.

“The only thing that will ever stop us,” he says, firmly, “is Chinese chicken flu. That’s the only one. We never stop for rain. Nothing would ever, ever stop me.”
“Michael loves a crisis,” Eavis says, fondly.
“People were sliding in the car parks – and they loved it!” Michael cries. “It’s an adventure training course! It’s character-forming!”

5 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

No. It’s s Glastonbury forum where I like to reminisce about Glastonbury with other people who go to Glastonbury regarding the weather of previous Glastonbury’s in the weather thread. 

OK then. As you were. 😳

I'm just jealous because I was a dot listening to spice girls back then so I would never have been at any of those years. I actually love reading everyone's stories about the olden days. That's why I'm on this forum. Because I love it. That's why it's a joke.

But if you wanna be serious, this is the weather thread of 2023, not 1997 or 2007 or 2005 or whatever. 2023. And it's going to be glorious 👍🏼

@p.peteyou can absolutely have a medal 🏅👏🏼 😊

I’ve been reading this thread for the last 4-5 days and thinking “wow, 2016 sounds like it was really bad”…just realised that’s one of the years I went! 😂

I’ve been about a dozen times and have had wet and hot years, weather hasn’t ruined a weekend for me so far. 

Edited by benww

1 minute ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Met Office updated and bringing showers in to Weds pm, but showing Thursday as dry, suggesting they're onboard with the high pressure over the weekend. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5nnctw#?date=2023-06-21

image.thumb.png.1167506ad9b113bebaf4c7eb14fd364f.png

I've been looking at this stretch of hours into Wednesday morning for the last few days, since it came into their 7-day window, to help decide when we're arriving.  In the last few days it's hardly changed at all, 40% maybe became 30% and vice-versa, and I think the 07:00 cloud has gone from light grey to dark grey just now.  Seems highly unlikely that they'd model it to have low-level rain for periods on both Tuesday & Wednesday, but that 12-hour window has been totally dry - if they actually think there's rain either side of the window shouldn't it shift a bit more as they run each model?

2 minutes ago, benww said:

I’ve been reading this thread for the last 4-5 days and thinking “wow, 2016 sounds like it was really bad”…just realised that’s one of the years I went! 😂

I’ve been about a dozen time and have had wet and hot years, weather hasn’t ruined a weekend for me so far. 

Exactly 😊 it'll all be fine! 

(And if it's not, then it will be another story for someone to tell on the weather thread 2034)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, p.pete said:

image.thumb.png.1167506ad9b113bebaf4c7eb14fd364f.png

I've been looking at this stretch of hours into Wednesday morning for the last few days, since it came into their 7-day window, to help decide when we're arriving.  In the last few days it's hardly changed at all, 40% maybe became 30% and vice-versa, and I think the 07:00 cloud has gone from light grey to dark grey just now.  Seems highly unlikely that they'd model it to have low-level rain for periods on both Tuesday & Wednesday, but that 12-hour window has been totally dry - if they actually think there's rain either side of the window shouldn't it shift a bit more as they run each model?

No idea! Anything over these days is guesswork at this point anyway, it's the trends that matter. In 2022, on off shower forecasts for Thursday / Friday became a single band of light rain Friday evening for about 90 minutes, and that wasn't apparent until the day before. 

1 minute ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Exactly 😊 it'll all be fine! 

(And if it's not, then it will be another story for someone to tell on the weather thread 2034)

Anyone else remember the great mild short lived  Wednesday shower of 2023, crazy times, where were you.

Mind you in 2034 people will wonder what a wet festival was like as they pack their 35 degree survival kit

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Anyone else remember the great mild short lived  Wednesday shower of 2023, crazy times, where were you.

Mind you in 2034 people will wonder what a wet festival was like as they pack their 35 degree survival kit

I seem to remember it raining one morning - Friday?  Just a light drizzle that was over by about 11.