The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

11 minutes ago, uscore said:

I do enjoy how it's not ok to say you struggle in hot temperatures but it's totally fine to react to wanting a cooler festival by saying "OH YOU WANT TO DROWN IN FLOODS THEN?"

I think it’s more that people shouldn’t turn there nose up at what is perfectly normal weather for British SUMMER. 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why not? It doesn't make any difference to what weather happens.

Why are you commenting on this thread? Why is it 154 pages long?

Bit like moaning about traffic while sitting in it this. Moaning about moaning about someone moaning about weather is peak efests.

Edited by Jose Pose

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm talking about the weather, not making judgements about other people's preferences.

I think it’s fine to talk about people’s preferences when they’re completely the opposite of the sort of weather you’d expect for British summer time and by some incredible coincidence, the weather we’ve experienced for every festival since 2016.

Temperatures around 25 are entirely normal and to be expected far more than any other type of weather, hence why shock horror, that’s what we often get, in the summer no less, who’d have thought it?

Edited by Jose Pose

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

I think it’s fine to talk about people’s preferences when they’re completely the opposite of the sort of weather you’d expect for British summer time and by some incredible coincidence, the weather we’ve experienced for every festival since 2016.

Temperatures around 25 are entirely normal and to be expected far more than any other type of weather, hence why shock horror, that’s what we often get, in the summer no less, who’d have thought it?

But rain is also entirely normal, and people keep reacting like a single drop will ruin the festival. Ok, nobody wants another 2005/2007/2016, but a bone dry glasto is still an anomaly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NFRNFC started up for a reason after the 2004 Saturday morning deluge then Friday 2005 then literally all of 2007... I can totally forgive some of the newer folks who think that baking hot sun is the norm and want a bit of rain around.

But still we're NFRNFC. I did my time with the river running through my tent on Pennards in 05 and a waterfall cascading into my trousers at 2am in front of Bill Bailey in 07 and now I want to sit on the grass in the dry sun and have a smoke and a drink

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

But rain is also entirely normal, and people keep reacting like a single drop will ruin the festival. Ok, nobody wants another 2005/2007/2016, but a bone dry glasto is still an anomaly.

I’m more talking about people complaining about temperatures in the summer time. Rain is normal but so are temps around 25 in British summer time. It can hardly be surprise that a festival held just after the summer solstice might have some temps above 20 degrees. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

I’m more talking about people complaining about temperatures in the summer time. Rain is normal but so are temps around 25 in British summer time. It can hardly be surprise that a festival held just after the summer solstice might have some temps above 20 degrees. 

Some people find heat draining and that limits the energy people have to party. Some people find rain and not being able to sit down on the ground draining and that limits the energy people have to party. 

None of this should be controversial. Mentioning either is OK here, it is a safe space. 🙂

PS NFRNFC 😇

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Please can you confirm or not if this is a parody account when it comes to the weather thread?

Year on year you manage to pretty much convince me you're either an eskimo or a snowman with your moans about temperature.

I can confirm it is not a parody.

When I talk about being taken to the hospital - that is for effect 

1 hour ago, Franky said:

People who didn’t look after themselves to be fair. Why should I have to drown in 3 feet of mud because someone can’t put sun screen on and drink some water

Why should I have to be virtually stuck in shade, finding it completely debilitating cos you cant handle a bit of mud?

Pretty self centred yourself.

(I'd rather it just be dry & 18° than any other weather)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

10 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

I’m more talking about people complaining about temperatures in the summer time. Rain is normal but so are temps around 25 in British summer time. It can hardly be surprise that a festival held just after the summer solstice might have some temps above 20 degrees

It's not a surprise... doesnt mean people have to like it! Just got to deal with it. Same as if its cooler.

Some agreement forming this morning on the overall flavour of weather to expect:

Until Tuesday: Heavy showers. GFS is too low resolution to manage these, so just puts slabs of rain across entire regions. What we will likely see are heavy localised downpours; so the farm my score a direct hit or stay completely dry. Warmer than average, but not as hot as this week. 

Tuesday - Thursday. Likelihood that we will see some rain at some point but probably light. Remaining warm.

Friday onwards: Early signs of a southerly influence brining some heat. Still very far out.

I think it's going to be ok. 

1 hour ago, Nick Sneddon said:

Ive not been following for a few hours, is that seriously the trend? Fantastic if so

Things can change I guess, but it is starting to look more settled. These are the Thursday and Friday forecasts. They still show miniscule rain, but I'm ignoring it. I'm liking the way the overnight temps are holding up, which makes the SE corner a bit more enticing.Screenshot_20230615-095535.thumb.png.ebc34492d405b7c085ee49f1c905e7b5.pngScreenshot_20230615-095556.thumb.png.f1b1ceb6d5d67c3030b6295cdf248a67.png

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I can confirm it is not a parody.

When I talk about being taken to the hospital - that is for effect 

Why should I have to be virtually stuck in shade, finding it completely debilitating cos you cant handle a bit of mud?

Pretty self centred yourself.

Sorry but how can 20 odd degrees be debilitating?! 

I'd really appreciate it if the weather could be a nice cool low 20s on Wednesday instead of bloody 30 degrees whatever it was in 2017 2019 and 2022.

You slog and carry your tent and everything in the baking heat then you have to put it up and die for the remainder of the day. Just please stay cool for a bit until at least I have my first pint poured.

Still, rather it 30 degrees than rainy. Saturday 2019 was probably the toughest day I've had at glasto, though I did go to bed at like 8.30am and wake up at 11 with the heat so perhaps it's unsurprising.