The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

it's the ECMWF that's letting us down at the moment, and is presumably where Met and Beeb are taking their long range forecasts...

Latest run shows a biblical amount of rain between now and the 15th right over Pilton. Don't mind personally if it gets it out of the way... (Sorry build team 🐵)

precip.webp.c8430007c9cf92926d39ccdd1fb6b5be.webp

That’s subsided a tad in the evenings run, especially over Glasto!

B4317DA2-800F-4E24-9D65-C57DC4F6B30B.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

Baking powder? Exsqueeze me? 

If it's a heat wave you wear shorts and t-shirts drink more water and have a blast

No. I try to not pass out for days & watch no acts cos of the weather.

Going to a festival to "drink water". Great fun... 🤢

Give me it pissing down, able to have a sh*t ton of booze & enjoy myself anyday of the week.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

No. I try to not pass out for days & watch no acts cos of the weather.

Going to a festival to "drink water". Great fun... 🤢

Give me it pissing down, able to have a sh*t ton of booze & enjoy myself anyday of the week.

Seriously, are you OK?  Both my wife and best mate are ginger AF and would rather have it stinking hot and reach for the factor 50 and water points than wade through the mud and not be able to sit down.

I realise that the choice isn't polar and thst dry plus reasonale temperatures is probably what we'd all settle for but you'd really rather it piss down than be sunny?

4 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Seriously, are you OK?  Both my wife and best mate are ginger AF and would rather have it stinking hot and reach for the factor 50 and water points than wade through the mud and not be able to sit down.

I realise that the choice isn't polar and thst dry plus reasonale temperatures is probably what we'd all settle for but you'd really rather it piss down than be sunny?

I'd most like it to be overcast & dry. 16 to 18. I'd really like that. Perfect for me.

But if it's heatwave or rain. I'll take the rain. No problem. All day every day. 

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I'd most like it to be overcast & dry. 16 to 18. I'd really like that. Perfect for me.

But if it's heatwave or rain. I'll take the rain. No problem. All day every day. 

I'm pale AF and can't do heat at all, but at least with the sun it goes away at night, the rain is 24 hour, even when it stops raining the effects last, but I agree high teens and over cast would be perfect, cloud cover helps it stay warm at night which is also a bonus 

5 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

I'm pale AF and can't do heat at all, but at least with the sun it goes away at night, the rain is 24 hour, even when it stops raining the effects last, but I agree high teens and over cast would be perfect, cloud cover helps it stay warm at night which is also a bonus 

The rain doesnt debilitate me. Doesnt stop me from doing anything at all.

The heat, I cant do much / anything til the night time. Its awful.

7 minutes ago, briddj said:

I really don't like it looking good so early. 

We need a big reality check soon. Get that roller coaster cranked up. 

Yeah I get a bit nervous when it's this good and remind myself that anything after 7 days has less than 50% confidence so I am expecting it to break down somewhat in the next few runs.

Not getting excited yet.  Still a looong way to go

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

@FuzzyDunlop Reading Festival 2014 was overcast for 5 days and no rain, meant you could wander about easily but not get sunburnt and also get a lie in each morning. 

That's what you want. Everyone can enjoy it.

It being hot is rancid for me. Good for others. 

I want everyone to enjoy the festival. Not just those who like certain weather.

I've had some rough times in the heat as well, and when there's no getting away from it and you can't cool down, it's really not enjoyable. At least with rain you can work through it, just go all in and let yourself get muddy.

I think the Saturday in 2019 was particularly bad, I remember sitting in some shade by John Peel trying to get cool, sort of falling asleep but waking up with horrible shivers and feeling delirious. Grim.

Last year was almost ideal weather, apart from the Wednesday. But I think I would still take that again.

22 minutes ago, briddj said:

I really don't like it looking good so early. 

We need a big reality check soon. Get that roller coaster cranked up. 

You’ll hate the new ECMWF that dropped earlier on then! Huge improvement on Thursdays ‘wet’ run. Average rainfall now.

12E00796-5A92-41EB-9F2A-668B02257460.jpeg

Edited by PolygonWindow
  • Upvote 1

I love this thread. I’ve absolutely no idea what all the coloured maps mean, but I’m trying to sound like I know what I’m talking about when I’m telling my mates! 
Hoping for a dry one. 
Ideally I would like to have a fair idea of weather from 19th, as that’s when I’m heading down to glasto. 👍

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That's what you want. Everyone can enjoy it.

It being hot is rancid for me. Good for others. 

I want everyone to enjoy the festival. Not just those who like certain weather.

2019 I basically spent everyday until 7pm in the shade, went out for a couple of acts, but missed plenty.

Partied like crazy in the late evenings/night, had a great time.

13 minutes ago, NotAnInsider said:

I want it to be precisely 19.7 degrees with light showers between 8 and 10am to keep the dust down. Bit of sun to keep the solar topped up, but not too much that it gets warm or anything silly like that.

No other conditions are acceptable.

This is perfection. Esp light rain 8 to 10am.