The Cheer!

Bike_Like_A_Mum

7 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Not sure I can remember The Cheer happening since about 2004.

I only started going in 2007 and it deffo happened then, until at least 2011. 

After that we have arrived Thursday onwards so couldn't tell you. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It happened after the sun finally came out on the Saturday in 2011.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

It also happened in 2017 when the sun finally went behind a cloud for a few minutes respite on the Wednesday! 

6 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

It also happens when the sun pops out on a cloudy day.

None of these are "the cheer", these are all examples of cheers to the weather. "the cheer" is something different. It's spontaneous (i.e. not in response to anything actually happening) waves of cheers that start at the stone circle on the Wednesday that ripple across the site like a Mexican wave, over and over and over.

There was definitely a cheer in 2009 at my first festival, I heard it from up on the hill and was totally bemused at first. Then it spread to where we were and we joined in, it was ace. I have heard it subsequently, although the cheer for the cloud in 2017 will be a difficult one to beat :).

It will be great to hear that cheer again this year, and yes I think it will be emotional.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

None of these are "the cheer", these are all examples of cheers to the weather. "the cheer" is something different. It's spontaneous (i.e. not in response to anything actually happening) waves of cheers that start at the stone circle on the Wednesday that ripple across the site like a Mexican wave, over and over and over.

When is a cheer not a cheer ? 😂

I always thought the cheer was on the Wednesday evening when the sun goes down. We go to the hill above The Park to watch the sunset and there's almost always been a cheer each time the sun has disappeared. In fact I remember being slightly gutted in 2019 because it was a bit cloudy so there wasn't really a good sunset, and therefore no cheer. 

I've always interpreted this as people cheering the start of the nighttime - since we all know Glasto takes on another form at night! Hoping for a good sunset on the 22nd so I can hear this cheer again, it's brought tears to my eyes every time... this year I'll probably be weeping! 😢

Love "the cheer".   Can occur at any time on a  Wednesday in my experience.   The best one was when putting my tent up in the rain in 2007.  The rain stopped, the sun came out and the cheer seemed to reverberate across the whole site.    A mixture of loving being at Glasto and the sun coming out did it.

Of course it started raining again soon after and didn't stop much all weekend but who cares.