Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

1 hour ago, sinivali said:

Literally I opened this thread just now to recommend Built To Spill to anyone who was undecided for that time slot 😁

I'm surprised to see you recommend them this much, their 2019 Primavera set was easily the worst show I saw at the festival that year, they sounded terrible and seemed like they didn't even want to be there. Even the guys standing next to me in Built to Spill t-shirts were bored and left halfway through the set... :'D

Well Idk maybe their new tour is better? I don't really feel like seeing them again though, I think I'm opting for Yard Act and Sudan Archives in that time slot so that's what I recommend 😄

50 minutes ago, kitkat129 said:

I'm surprised to see you recommend them this much, their 2019 Primavera set was easily the worst show I saw at the festival that year, they sounded terrible and seemed like they didn't even want to be there. Even the guys standing next to me in Built to Spill t-shirts were bored and left halfway through the set... :'D

I enjoyed their 2019 Primavera set very much. I wasn't that close, I was watching them from the Grassy Hill, but I remember it as one of the best concerts of that day.

3 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Unsolved: 

bcnr vs Arthur verocai 

Alex g vs built to spill 

comet is coming vs hud mo vs Brutalismus 

sparks vs Julia holter 

Bar Italia vs domi & jd beck 

Caroline polachek vs war on drugs + kelela 

Rosalia vs death grips 

Arthur Verocai for sure, maybe it´s your last chance to see him.

Comet is coming is touring only this year, them Shabaka will do another projects.

Sparks!

Saw War on Drugs last week, what a band live, fantastic.

Death Grips.

2 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I see people listing bands that are “must sees” or “so disappointed they are clashing” with someone else.

I listen to an eclectic mix of every genre. I would be a regular visitor to pitchfork (to see their nest new music reviews) who’s tastes are questionable at times.

And honestly I’ve never heard of any of the bands people are mentioning here.

It’s like we exist in alternate realities. 

Im going to check some of them out to see what I’m missing.

You had half a year to get familiar with the line-up. I didn't know many of the artists either but in the past months I've found many new great bands and musicians. Actually, it's one of my favourite things about Primavera - every year they introduce me to many amazing artists I've never heard about before.

And I'm sure you're exeggarating a little - last post about clashes mentions Caroline Polachek, Sparks War on Drugs or even Rosalia (among others). If you're reading Pitchork, you must have come across these names.

Edited by pipan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sinivali said:

I saw Built To Spill yesterday and they were fantastic, I'd definitely go for them over Alex G. Although it's a matter of taste preference as well obviously, as they're not exactly the same genre. 

Literally I opened this thread just now to recommend Built To Spill to anyone who was undecided for that time slot 😁

I was also there yesterday in Geneva and it was really excellent.

But as I'll probably never get the chance to see him elsewhere, I'm going to choose Arthur Verocai.

I still have a few conflicts to resolve :

Come vs Sudan Archive

Julia Holter vs Sparks

Depeche Mode vs The Moldy Peaches vs Swans vs Beak> vs Alvvays

Kelela vs Jockstrap

Rosalía vs Death Grips vs Gilla Band

Other conflicts I resolved but between several groups that I would really have liked to see such as :

Arthur Verocai vs Black Country, New Road vs Built To Spill vs Alex G (As I said, I choseI Arthur Verocai)

Julia Jacklin vs Beth Orton (I chose Beth Orton).

Laurie Anderson vs St. Vincent (I would have loved to have seen St. Vincent on this tour - it was one of my priorities - but I think this will be the only chance I'll get to see Laurie Anderson, so I'll be going to see her).

Anyway, like every year, it's a hell of a job managing these conflicts 😅

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pipan said:

You had half a year to get familiar with the line-up. I didn't know many of the artists either but in the past months I've found many new great bands and musicians. Actually, it's one of my favourite things about Primavera - every year they introduce me to many amazing artists I've never heard about before.

And I'm sure you're exeggarating a little - last post about clashes mentions Caroline Polachek, Sparks War on Drugs or even Rosalia (among others). If you're reading Pitchork, you must have come across these names.

TWOD are one of my favourite bands. Will be seeing them 4 times this years , after twice last year. 

I love an oat milk latte and a bit of Bon Iver as much as the next guy but I think the train has overshot the station....

I don't want to single out any poster (it was same last year) but some times I see things like the following:

"oh neon toaster are clashing with intergalactic suitcase wheels" . Such a shame they are both a must see. So I YouTube both bands and they have no subscribers, paltry view counts and the music is absolutely dreadful.

If you were "must see" you'd be on after 8pm at least. Not on the Ribena stage at 1830.

Sometimes I get a vibe that people are deliberately anti-mainstream. They wear it as a badge of honour. It's performative. 

They look down on the folks who go to Blur while they listen to some Swedish lad banging milk bottles and bin lids to a crowd of 11 people. 

Edited by Drums Please Fab
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

If you were "must see" you'd be on after 8pm at least. Not on the Ribena stage at 1830.

Sometimes I get a vibe that people are deliberately anti-mainstream. They wear it as a badge of honour. It's performative. 

They look down on the folks who go to Blur while they listen to some Swedish lad banging milk bottles and bin lids to a crowd of 11 people. 

If you love it, it's a must see, no matter what time or stage it's playing (like Ascendant Vierge on a small Dice stage after 3 a.m. - which is a must see I'm still not going to see because of another must see, Blur).

I personally think that I'm on the more "commercial" side of the spectrum here on the forum (not a big Auditori guy, able to enjoy Dua Lipa or K-pop), but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying sharing musical tips with another users (with different musical tastes).

Sometimes, there is quite a lot of negativity here about some artists that I just don't understand why (like with Ghost this year), but generally, I think the discussions here are cultivated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

"oh neon toaster are clashing with intergalactic suitcase wheels" . Such a shame they are both a must see. So I YouTube both bands and they have no subscribers, paltry view counts and the music is absolutely dreadful.

I don't think this is the case, you just happen to be on a forum where people are passionate about music and listen to many different genres and artists, including obscure bands from around the world. Primavera is such a beloved festival because the lineup offers a great depth, you can always discover something new and interesting that you didn't know about before.

It is completely fine if something is not your thing or if you simply don't care that much about listening to lesser known indie bands, but I don't see why it's a problem if someone is more excited to see a small band than a headliner? Not every artist can play on the main stage after 8 pm and that doesn't say anything about the quality of their music ( for example John Cale will play at 19:30 and he is hardly an unknown "neon toaster". To be honest at least half of my most anticipated acts are on between 17:00 and 21:00, and most of them aren't even all that obscure)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You like what you like at the end of the day!

Thursday = Built To Spill, Ghost, PinkPantheress, New Order, Le Tigre, Blur, The Comet is Coming - will probably try and catch small bits of Turnstile and Alison Goldfrapp. BCNR on a main stage will be woeful.

Friday = Soul Glo, The Delgados, Sparks, Depeche Mode, Kendrick Lamar, Fred again…Yves Tumour, Unwound, Lebanon Hanover - personally hoping something interesting gets moved into the Tems spot so I don't have to bother with FA...

Saturday = Bar Italia, Wednesday, Surf Curse, be your own PET, Gaz Coombes, The War on Drugs, Jockstrap, Liturgy, Death Grips, Yung Lean - moving Liturgy has made the evening so much better, fair play to Primavera for listening.

There are a few annoying clashes still in there, but I am happy with the above and know that I can always catch other people elsewhere. It is still arguably the best festival line up in Europe with so many other festivals being poor and the even remote chance of The Cure, NIN and Pulp for next year will have me purchasing tickets early.

Edited by Last_Exit

I got a double vip ticket initially, but after the fiasco of not being able to book any ciutat gigs the two weekends now appear as separate tickets in my accessticket list

Screenshot_20230527_184730.thumb.jpg.94cae7f2181b5db9b7ebea787447fbba.jpg

So if I transferred one of these would it send them both?? I want to see if I can shift the bcn one for cheap just so I can get a bit of my money back, but am worried it would risk my madrid ticket. Any ideas? 

Flight to Barcelona tomorrow night!

As my friends are only going to the main part of the festival, I'd really love to meet someone to share the Ciutat experience (and a lot of beers). If you're also alone or just don't mind a company for these shows, please feel free to DM me. My plans are:

29.05: Panic Shack, Pip Blom, CUMGIRL8 (Apolo 2) + Los Bitchos, Black Midi (Razz 1)

30.05: PUP + BCNR + Las Robertas (Razz 1)

31.05: Jake Bugg, Confidence Man, Pet Shop Boys (Forum) + Darkside (Apolo 2)

04.06: Pet Shop Boys (Apolo) + Gilla Band, Unwound, Cloud Nothings (Parallel 62)

2 hours ago, StephenF said:

My biggest gripe is Turnstile on the MainStage…during the day. The same kinda slot killed Fontaines and Amyl for me, can help but feel that Cupra in last years idles slot would have been better.

Amyl really got an empty field, but Fontaines D.C. crowd seemed fun and active. One of the best shows last year for me

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, StephenF said:

My biggest gripe is Turnstile on the MainStage…during the day. The same kinda slot killed Fontaines and Amyl for me, can help but feel that Cupra in last years idles slot would have been better.

We are on the same page here buddy. Completely pictured myself losing it to Turnstile on Cupra with a packed out crowd. 

That main stage slot is not going to do them justice and I can picture a lot of their spacey sound just being lost on that big a stage. I hope I'm wrong though.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

We are on the same page here buddy. Completely pictured myself losing it to Turnstile on Cupra with a packed out crowd. 

That main stage slot is not going to do them justice and I can picture a lot of their spacey sound just being lost on that big a stage. I hope I'm wrong though.

Aye! Like the difference between the atmosphere when Run The Jewels went from the old ATP stage to Mordor was grim….Turnstile are a band that needs the sound and the crowd to be very much involved and very much PRESENT. The closing salvo of JPEG and DG on the old ATP stage will be amazing though! Always liked that stage, Neutral Milk Hotel was outstanding there, Drive Like Jehu, Descendents….Mordor is a buzzkill apart from the biggest acts. Beck surprised me last year though, guy smashed it.

• Upvote 2

Highlighted my must sees in bold. Aware this is stacked and I will be missing a good few, just trying to ensure I always have “something” to see.

Couple of the acts would be must see but I’ve already seen them recently / will be seeing them individually.

Mon/Tue:

Black MIDI / BCNR

Thur:

Antonin -> Heather -> BCNR -> built to spill -> Ghost -> Pusha T -> NxWorries -> new order -> self esteem -> le Tigre -> blur -> the comet is coming 

Friday:

The Beths -> soul glo -> japanese Breakfest -> sparks -> depeche mode -> Alvvays -> Kendrick -> Christine & the queens -> Yves Tumor -> unwound -> Daphni

Saturday:

DOMI & JD Beck -> Wednesday -> Arlo Parks -> Be your own PET -> St Vincent -> the war on drugs -> jock strap -> death grips -> yung lean -> JPEGMAFIA

For me the worst clashes are:

Self Esteem v New Order (painful)

BCNR v Arthur Verocai

Built to Spill v Yard Act

shellac v Delgados v Japanese Breakfest

Depeche Mode v Moldy Peaches v Beak v Karate v Alvvays (this one is bonkers arrangement on their part)

Kendrick v Bad Religion v Bleachers

Arlo Parks v John Cale v Be your own PET

St Vincent v Gaz Coombes v The Voidz v Maggie Rogers (silly scheduling, nonsensical)

Some of the clashes I can understand. Either very little overlapping fanbases, or for the purpose of crowd control. But some of clashes some absolutely malicious. That Built to Spill v Yard Act one for example, neither are massive acts. And the St Vincent/Gaz Coombes/Voidz/Maggie Rogers - their fanbase ven diagram is just a circle ffs, and none would cause dangerous over crowding.

10 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Einsturzende Neubauten aren’t playing this year mate.

9 hours ago, pipan said:

If you love it, it's a must see, no matter what time or stage it's playing (like Ascendant Vierge on a small Dice stage after 3 a.m. - which is a must see I'm still not going to see because of another must see, Blur).

I personally think that I'm on the more "commercial" side of the spectrum here on the forum (not a big Auditori guy, able to enjoy Dua Lipa or K-pop), but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying sharing musical tips with another users (with different musical tastes).

Sometimes, there is quite a lot of negativity here about some artists that I just don't understand why (like with Ghost this year), but generally, I think the discussions here are cultivated.

Who was complaining about Ghost?! They’re great. One of the acts I’m most looking forward to in all honesty.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jamm said:

Who was complaining about Ghost?! They’re great. One of the acts I’m most looking forward to in all honesty.

I feel it the same way.

But I remember them being used as examples of what is wrong with this year's line-up (alongside with Skrillex or Calvin Harris).

55 minutes ago, pipan said:

I feel it the same way.

But I remember them being used as examples of what is wrong with this year's line-up (alongside with Skrillex or Calvin Harris).

I think it was one comment whereas there have been tonnes of comments criticising the CH booking.

Taste is subjective. Some people think The Beatles are rubbish...

Got the email from access ticket saying “We remind you that access to Primavera a la Ciutat and Brunch Electronik is subject to the capacity of each of the venues.” It then does say that you need a pass to enter and that you’ll need to reserve them…. But don’t know if it’s me overthinking it or not, but to me that quote sounds like even if you have reserved a ticket it is subject to how many people hve already entered 😂

saw gilla band at wide awake yesterday - one of the best times i've seen them. sound was a little on the quiet side but bodes well for PS.

caroline polacheck was good too, although i wouldn't class myself as a fan - her stage set was really impressive.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ohjesus said:

saw gilla band at wide awake yesterday - one of the best times i've seen them. sound was a little on the quiet side but bodes well for PS.

caroline polacheck was good too, although i wouldn't class myself as a fan - her stage set was really impressive.

I was there too - great London festival & hope it continues - I thought Alex G was very average live (but like him on record), I purposely skipped Gilla Band as I'll be making sure to see them at (the very loud) Dice Stage.  Finished the day watching Two Shell, who were good.  Look forward to Caroline Polachek at Primavera.

anyone know how to transfer a ticket to a friend via dice? the transfer to a friend option isnt available. i just bought it today (friday day ticket). i havent activated it via access ticket as im scared of locking it or something!?

53 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

anyone know how to transfer a ticket to a friend via dice? the transfer to a friend option isnt available. i just bought it today (friday day ticket). i havent activated it via access ticket as im scared of locking it or something!?

I'm pretty sure you're able to do it. Cant't check myself, because I've already activated my ticket. Try to reach Dice support.