Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

16 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Ok I’m definitely past it. I have never ever heard of Fred again . 

I need to get my act together.

Exploded during the summer so you're not that past it. Watch his boiler room set on youtube if you're curious. 

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Exploded during the summer so you're not that past it. Watch his boiler room set on youtube if you're curious. 

Had googled it before you posted. When someone makes a bombastic claim like biggest dance act in the world and I've never heard of it I had to see what it was all about. 

Will give it a listen.

5 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Had googled it before you posted. When someone makes a bombastic claim like biggest dance act in the world and I've never heard of it I had to see what it was all about. 

Will give it a listen.

I think he's excellent, but I'm not a massive dance fan usually and I think that's the crowd he's managed to attract somehow, in the same way Bicep did before. I also think people are gonna get sick of hearing the name but that's the same for anyone who blows up overnight (hello Wet Leg)

7 hours ago, Enkidu said:

I'm really hoping they remove that bullshit with the bridge to BITS being for VIPs only.

This was a total pain in the ass. From my recollection, though, wasn't it part of the planning arrangement with the local council? Someone else in here may have a better memory than me in this case, but I remember the whole BITS area, bridge included, all being the subject of a messy planning dispute based on crowd size, timing and access.

The whole site actually spans two administrative areas so they've to deal with the BCN and (I think) Sant Adria councils on different aspects of it. 

For all of the shit they got wrong last time out, this one may be beyond their control. 

28 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

I knew and liked blur mainly because of their self-titled album but I am afraid their live shows are not going to sound like that, are they? From the setlist it looks like they will mainly play their easier stuff

For what's it's worth, their 2013 Primavera headliner set was legendary. Boys and Girls opener ffs

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Will give it a listen.

'Baxter (These are my friends)' is the best dance tune in the last 5 years for me. 

5 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

This was a total pain in the ass. From my recollection, though, wasn't it part of the planning arrangement with the local council? Someone else in here may have a better memory than me in this case, but I remember the whole BITS area, bridge included, all being the subject of a messy planning dispute based on crowd size, timing and access.

The whole site actually spans two administrative areas so they've to deal with the BCN and (I think) Sant Adria councils on different aspects of it. 

For all of the shit they got wrong last time out, this one may be beyond their control. 

But theyve had the BITS area and the bridge open to standard ticket holders before, so dont see why the council would make them change it. I thought it was just primavera being greedy bastards again.

2 minutes ago, Enkidu said:

But theyve had the BITS area and the bridge open to standard ticket holders before, so dont see why the council would make them change it. I thought it was just primavera being greedy bastards again.

They got a max limit for people on the bridge by the local council. So that's the reason for only VIP this year. Really hope this changes for next year!

2 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

They got a max limit for people on the bridge by the local council. So that's the reason for only VIP this year. Really hope this changes for next year!

Ah, I see. I remember this year trying to leave the bits area one night but there was only one gate and were too many people trying to leave and too many trying to enter, so security was having to shoo away crowds of people so that each group could take turns  entering/exiting. Incredibly poor organisation.

While I personally prefer the PS Line up, there is just no arguing, that Mad Cool is the better deal. Its pretty stacked in the headline with a good mix of contmporary and legacy acts, has a solid undercard, runs for 4-full days and costs 140€ less than PS. 

Whatever you prefer, this type of competition is really bad for either festival and I'm honestly concerned this will burn out one of them (or at least the Madrid edition). I just dont see the benefit of throwing bigger and bigger names onto line ups. Both PS and Mad Cool are senselessly overblown.

Also Machine Gun Jelly is a booking I haven't seen before

https://madcoolfestival.es/artista/machine-gun-jelly

Edited by Quadrophobia

39 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

While I personally prefer the PS Line up, there is just no arguing, that Mad Cool is the better deal. Its pretty stacked in the headline with a good mix of contmporary and legacy acts, has a solid undercard, runs for 4-full days and costs 140€ less than PS. 

Whatever you prefer, this type of competition is really bad for either festival and I'm honestly concerned this will burn out one of them (or at least the Madrid edition). I just dont see the benefit of throwing bigger and bigger names onto line ups. Both PS and Mad Cool are senselessly overblown.

Also Machine Gun Jelly is a booking I haven't seen before

https://madcoolfestival.es/artista/machine-gun-jelly

It's not a better deal if you don't like the artists attending Mad Cool. Value is entirely subjective...

And ironic that a feature highlighted as a plus for Mad Cool is actually an argument in favour for Primavera (4 days at the Forum (not 3) + 60 Ciutat gigs too).

• Upvote 2

personally i never understood the debate of mad cool vs primavera. besides the fact that they are both in spain i don't see that much overlap in target audience. for me, mad cool is more of a competition for rock werchter from the european festivals . if i were to pick a more similar festival inside spain, i would certainly pick bilbao bbk as the (sort of) competition.