Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

On 7/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, Skip997 said:

The flat area above the Pyramid arena was full of Reggae sound systems with their huge crews.

oh for the chance to travel back to these times.

RIP Shaka

thanfully i had the chance to see him at Glastonbury - a few years back all night long on Sunday in the venue with the train sticking out of it.

they should let Aba Shanti curate an area and we could have UOD / UNOD on the farm.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, bobsacamano said:

If Glastonbury wishes the audience to reflect the UK population as a whole it really should be looking at attracting more people of Asian decent primarily. However due to the cultural differences regarding alcohol I'm not really sure that's possible.

Depends what you mean by 'Asian'.

Many Hindus and Sikhs I know would drink your average white British person under the table. Sikhs in particular - it's a very boozy community generally (there's nothing more fun than a Sikh wedding).

The primary issue my Asian friends have with it isn't the music, or the booze, it's the camping. Many grew up in inner-city areas, have never been camping, and don't see the appeal.

It's why you get much more diversity at one-day inner city festivals that don't require it.

23 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

oh for the chance to travel back to these times.

RIP Shaka

thanfully i had the chance to see him at Glastonbury - a few years back all night long on Sunday in the venue with the train sticking out of it.

they should let Aba Shanti curate an area and we could have UOD / UNOD on the farm.

London Underground.

I was there for about 5 hours, superb!

49 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Depends what you mean by 'Asian'.

Many Hindus and Sikhs I know would drink your average white British person under the table. Sikhs in particular - it's a very boozy community generally (there's nothing more fun than a Sikh wedding).

The primary issue my Asian friends have with it isn't the music, or the booze, it's the camping. Many grew up in inner-city areas, have never been camping, and don't see the appeal.

It's why you get much more diversity at one-day inner city festivals that don't require it.

20+ years ago when I was at uni I lived with a couple of international students (both Asian) and this was the same thing they said...loved a drink, loved 'other stuff' 😉 loved live music but camping for 4/5 nights? absolutely not. 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:39 PM, Skip997 said:

Cultural diversity.

Excluding artists and performers, I'd be surprised if I saw more than a couple of 100 black people this year and not too many more Asians.

I've noticed at Glastonbury, and the other festival I regularly attend (Shambala, a gradual decrease in BAME ticket holders year on year.

Sadly it is largely a white persons festival and increasingly middle class.

It's not always been this way.

Would say last year was definitely the most ethnically diverse crowd I've seen at Glastonbury, but would agree probably less diverse than the average festival 

Ok here's  one that I'm sure will be controversial.

I wish they had put the ticket price up substantially more this year in order to keep the festival operating at the peak of it's powers.

Last year felt a bit off for me, little bits here and there that seemed bare bones or a downgrade. Emily said earlier the price increase this year was still short of what was needed to even match last years festival, so I'm worried about what is in store.

We've effectively lost two areas this year already, cinemaramageddon and williams green. I know they have the car henge, but if that's it for the area it's gonna be something that you pass through an think that's cool, rather than somewhere you would actively want to stay.

Plus this would likely push demand down enough that getting tickets would be easier

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm sure I'll get hate for this but I would say, ditch the £50 deposit, if you can't afford it in one go then save £35 a month in a separate account.  That would surely separate the real people from the posers.

Ah yes because the festival really needs to become even more middle class…

8 minutes ago, mazola said:

I wish they had put the ticket price up substantially more this year in order to keep the festival operating at the peak of it's powers.

2 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Ah yes because the festival really needs to become even more middle class…

And there's your answer @mazola

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why would that make it middle class?

Something to do attracting the people that booze, take charlie and ket, sit in front of stages, pose for selfies in front of the glastonbury sign for instagram and film acts instead of watching them. None of which has anything to do with whether you are working class or middle class (which to be honest are pretty meaningless terms nowdays)

11 minutes ago, mazola said:

Something to do attracting the people that booze, take charlie and ket, sit in front of stages, pose for selfies in front of the glastonbury sign for instagram and film acts instead of watching them. None of which has anything to do with whether you are working class or middle class (which to be honest are pretty meaningless terms nowdays)

🤣

The Pyramid has never been the same since they changed the midway back speaker arrangement (2018?). Now the only place with combination of good sound view is front circle. Huge shame. 

I agree there are also some poor small acts that get booked every year for fun/ novelty that aren’t very good and others deserve the slot 

Edited by danbailey80