Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

18 minutes ago, km9 said:

I don't think anybody has an issue with people using a chair in a field with plenty of space, however I think that most people are against the use of chairs in a busy field, especially when it gets dark. Looking towards a brightly lit stage after dark, it is impossible to see chairs so they become a safety hazard.

And that was a point I made in my first post on this topic. It would be best if people respond to peoples posts based on what they put in them. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I have a genuine question in return when did every issue in the world have to become so binary. Is it since Brexit? Does everything have to have a yes or no answer with no maybe's in between. 

I can't find a map of the 2003 and I didn't go then but looking at the line up poster the festival looks to have been a great deal smaller back then. Also people didn't go for as long always with many people rocking up on Friday morning so I think the comparison between the 2 is not really relevant. I also think we all need to be better at accepting that people are different and have different abilities and acceptance of others is meant to be a great Glastonbury trait. 

The acts this year that I took my chair out for were Yasmin Williams, Lianne La Havas and Brass Against right at the back of the field. I was in nobody's way at the the time. There were huge swathes of space around me each time so I wasn't inconveniencing anybody. My chair is one of the small helinox ones that gets put in my bag when I am finished with it. I also sat on the ground in Avalon and had my back again the barrier for The Citizens of the World Choir and Ferris and Sylvester. Again they weren't at all busy so doing this wasn't inconveniencing anyone. I was in E25 in the campervan field so nipping back to sit on a chair isn't an option for me. I do the festival sober so any pain relief from drink or drugs isn't available to me.

I have clearly stated that I too have a problem with chair w*nkers who use them regardless of whether it is too busy. I think it is really ignorant but as I've said it doesn't have to be a binary issue.  If a little bit of use of a chair use in a respectful way can help make the festival achievable for a wider variety of people then I think that is great. I actually made sure after Friday that we put our bags away completely by sub headliner time and I think it's crazy that anyone thinks chairs are appropriate during this time near the front a the big stages. 

Here's the 2003 poster by the way. Definitely looks a bit more sparsely populated. 

image.thumb.png.deca22bce9bc907f5ddb455ddf78968c.png

Ummm…I think you’ve completely misread what I was saying!

No worries though, will just leave it rather than arguing. 🙂

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

And that was a point I made in my first post on this topic. It would be best if people respond to peoples posts based on what they put in them. 

Don't jump down my throat, I was simply saying that i don't think many people have an issue with you using a chair in the way that you described.

I think you're expecting people to be arguing with you, but clearly they're not.

32 minutes ago, km9 said:

Don't jump down my throat, I was simply saying that i don't think many people have an issue with you using a chair in the way that you described.

I think you're expecting people to be arguing with you, but clearly they're not.

I'm not I thought what I said was perfectly reasonable and in the inclusive nature of Glastonbury and someone responded to my comment saying something the opposite and didn't seem in any way like they had actually read my post. Perhaps if you read my original post about it and then the post where they quoted me you'll understand. 

the spider is good and all that .

it's aged and needs something new

the whole south east corner was a bit shit, very samey. seen it all before. Need tearing up and starting again .

Edited by shuttlep

On 7/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, gigpusher said:

I wonder if a good solution for the chair bit would be to have an actual seated area at some of the big stages with stewards etc and then say they can't be put up elsewhere. 

I have sympathy with both points of view on the chair thing. I am of an age where I just can't stand for 5 days straight and as someone who gets sciatica periodically I do also need the back support as well so just plonking myself on the ground isn't always an option but I like to think that I am in the category of polite chair user rather than chair w*nker. I take the opportunity to see acts that are more relaxing and don't go right to the front and find a spot to put down a chair and relax for an act or 2. If I was in a very busy crowd I would never use my chair. If I wasn't up to standing for those acts I'd go to a quieter act. 

You do see a huge number of people though especially in the DiRo crowd and Macca who have full picnic blankets out and lots of chairs in a group and even during the acts they don't put them away (even once they have stood up themselves) Some of the people not even watching the acts and just talking to their friends all the way through. I get being annoyed with those people. It's not like it's a surprise that those sets were busy and I do think it is rude behaviour. 

I'm reaching this age. I made it through the festival with no issues  - tell a lie - apart from one time when I sat down at the stone circle then found I couldn't stand up straight when I stood. Had to lie down, stretch and was then fine. Other than that was on my feet more or less the whole time. Come Monday morning my lower back was screaming. 

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

the spider is good and all that .

it's aged and needs something new

the whole south east corner was a bit shit, very samey. seen it all before. Need tearing up and starting again .

Take stronger LSD 😉

Also IICON as only been there twice so far. The 3d AV show was ace

Edited by fred quimby

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I fucking love the vlogs.

Most of the ones I’ve seen have been some half-pissed bloke telling me which bar he’s been at/going to, how large the night’s going to be, a bit of noise and jumping around and then cut to frying some bacon or summat. 

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I have a genuine question in return when did every issue in the world have to become so binary. Is it since Brexit? Does everything have to have a yes or no answer with no maybe's in between. 

I can't find a map of the 2003 and I didn't go then but looking at the line up poster the festival looks to have been a great deal smaller back then. Also people didn't go for as long always with many people rocking up on Friday morning so I think the comparison between the 2 is not really relevant. I also think we all need to be better at accepting that people are different and have different abilities and acceptance of others is meant to be a great Glastonbury trait. 

The acts this year that I took my chair out for were Yasmin Williams, Lianne La Havas and Brass Against right at the back of the field. I was in nobody's way at the the time. There were huge swathes of space around me each time so I wasn't inconveniencing anybody. My chair is one of the small helinox ones that gets put in my bag when I am finished with it. I also sat on the ground in Avalon and had my back again the barrier for The Citizens of the World Choir and Ferris and Sylvester. Again they weren't at all busy so doing this wasn't inconveniencing anyone. I was in E25 in the campervan field so nipping back to sit on a chair isn't an option for me. I do the festival sober so any pain relief from drink or drugs isn't available to me.

I have clearly stated that I too have a problem with chair w*nkers who use them regardless of whether it is too busy. I think it is really ignorant but as I've said it doesn't have to be a binary issue.  If a little bit of use of a chair use in a respectful way can help make the festival achievable for a wider variety of people then I think that is great. I actually made sure after Friday that we put our bags away completely by sub headliner time and I think it's crazy that anyone thinks chairs are appropriate during this time near the front a the big stages. 

Here's the 2003 poster by the way. Definitely looks a bit more sparsely populated. 

image.thumb.png.deca22bce9bc907f5ddb455ddf78968c.png

I was at this. Was still very big back then (not on the scale it is now though) and you’d still struggle to take it all in.
Don’t remember chairs or flags really being a thing, but then I was probably a lot more fucked during these festivals! 

50 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Most of the ones I’ve seen have been some half-pissed bloke telling me which bar he’s been at/going to, how large the night’s going to be, a bit of noise and jumping around and then cut to frying some bacon or summat. 

It's hardly Kubrick is it. Some are part of the fabric build up to the festival like "state of the ground" etc but as you say, some shirt front waxing lyrical about the frozen Margheritas whilst blasting beak off a child's head are less great..

• Like 1

I think it's time the Acoustic stage had a make-over. Those drab red curtains are so 70s. The lighting is pretty basic too, and there is not much of the way of decor inside the tent. 

I appreciate the spirit of the Acoustic stage is all about the music but it could still do with a little TLC IMO.

3 minutes ago, sinhala said:

I think it's time the Acoustic stage had a make-over. Those drab red curtains are so 70s. The lighting is pretty basic too, and there is not much of the way of decor inside the tent. 

I appreciate the spirit of the Acoustic stage is all about the music but it could still do with a little TLC IMO.

Careful now, it might put off the bearded, sandal and sock wearing, pewter tankard clipped to their belt types.

We need somewhere to corral them.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I can't find any reference to United24 purchasing arms, least of all bombs. I see in their budget documents that they've purchased defensive items, body armour, helmets, and demining machines. But nothing offensive. And that's using money people have chosen to donate specifically for that purpose of the 3 options available.

There are 3 categories that you can donate to, and they publish incomings and expenditure for all 3. You can choose to donate to 'Defence and demining' 'Humanitarian and medical aid' or 'rebuild Ukraine' 

Does anybody have any links to any evidence that proves the misappropriation of United24's funding? I'm not denying it, just wondering where the accusation is coming from, and what proof there is? 

Also, the video was mainly focused on freedoms. He asked us to "spread the truth," help displaced Ukrainians, as well as fund United24.

I do not, under current evidence, see how that is contrary to the spirit of the festival or CND. 

Obviously if somebody can show me evidence that U24 are misappropriating donations into purchasing offensive weapons, especially bombs, then that's a different ball game. 

As a side note, if you search for "United24 buying bombs" you get a message from google saying "It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search" and the 4th result is this very thread on this very forum!!! Kinda says a lot, maybe we should be embarrassed about spreading false information if this allegation turns out to be nonsense? 

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 1

Cultural diversity.

Excluding artists and performers, I'd be surprised if I saw more than a couple of 100 black people this year and not too many more Asians.

I've noticed at Glastonbury, and the other festival I regularly attend (Shambala, a gradual decrease in BAME ticket holders year on year.

Sadly it is largely a white persons festival and increasingly middle class.

It's not always been this way.

3 hours ago, sinhala said:

The light show was amazing for Hawkwind in 2019.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Cultural diversity.

Excluding artists and performers, I'd be surprised if I saw more than a couple of 100 black people this year and not too many more Asians.

I've noticed at Glastonbury, and the other festival I regularly attend (Shambala, a gradual decrease in BAME ticket holders year on year.

Sadly it is largely a white persons festival and increasingly middle class.

It's not always been this way.

Been going since the early 90s and I'd say this year was easily the most diverse crowd I've ever seen.

It wouldn't surprise me if the percentage of attendee's in the demographics Black and Mixed closely matched the UK percentage in the overall population of 3% and 2%.

Where there does appear to be a significant disparity between the demographics of the attendees and the demographics of the UK population as a whole is those who come under the Asian demographic. This demographic comprises 7% of the UK population however that's clearly not matched at Glastonbury.

If Glastonbury wishes the audience to reflect the UK population as a whole it really should be looking at attracting more people of Asian decent primarily. However due to the cultural differences regarding alcohol I'm not really sure that's possible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bobsacamano said:

Been going since the early 90s and I'd say this year was easily the most diverse crowd I've ever seen.

Been going since 1985. In the mid/late 80's there were loads more black people. The flat area above the Pyramid arena was full of Reggae sound systems with their huge crews.

There were also loads more black people in the early 90's, although not all there for the most noble of reasons. N.B. not racially stereotyping here, plenty of white youths were up to the same.