Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

1 minute ago, Metal Monkey said:

There was a bit on TV from 1992 which showed Shakespeares Sister on the pyramid then panned back all the way to the farmhouse showing all the fires and smoke. Looked amazing, saw it before I first went and never seen it since. 

Similarly there's footage from Moby 2003 showing a pan back with all the 1000's flares in the field...

Just now, Pinhead said:

It felt more real and less virtual with all the screens. Peeps attention was what was happening around them, not what their internet status was.

Yep. Before phones we had a spot next to the stone circle we’d all meet, otherwise you wouldn’t see anyone until the next day. And it was so busy up there, it was such fun just people watching. 

58 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yes I'm kind of expecting (hoping) maybe a return of this for this year after 3 years...

I haven’t been since late 90/early 00s (but will be this year!). Is it still an occurrence? I think ‘I’m Spartacus!’ took off one year too? 

36 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

There was a bit on TV from 1992 which showed Shakespeares Sister on the pyramid then panned back all the way to the farmhouse showing all the fires and smoke. Looked amazing, saw it before I first went and never seen it since. 

What’s the deal with fires now? It was like on per tent years back! 

9 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

What’s the deal with fires now? It was like on per tent years back! 

I didn't go in 2019 but as I understand it there was no firewood for sale anywhere.  I don't believe fires were outright banned, you just had to bring your own logs in.

1 minute ago, lebenski said:

I didn't go in 2019 but as I understand it there was no firewood for sale anywhere.  I don't believe fires were outright banned, you just had to bring your own logs in.

Ok. I install wood-burners for a living and have a load of logs. Might stick some on the van. 

“3 logs for a fiver!”

I miss getting back to your tent and finding a handwritten note from your tentmates that said "We're going to JazzWorld until 7, then Pyramid, meet you at Water Aid".

And I sort of miss being able to park next to the tent, apart from when someone decided on Saturday that they wanted to drive out and that they could get past all the tents and guyropes.

And I miss tickets going on sale in April and spending weeks persuading friends to come with and knowing that the tickets wouldn't sell out until maybe the week before.

But mostly I miss the underground, alternative and rebellious spirit of the festival; it was something that you'd never in a million years tell anyone at work that you'd gone to. It was a coming-together of people from across the country who were kindred spirits. There was nothing mainstream about going to Glastonbury, your parents/teachers/colleagues would often strongly disapprove of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Metal Monkey said:

I miss those days, with the constant drums going all weekend. 

Thank god there gone imo.. 

OK if they are as a band but when you used to get 50 people waking drums aimusley it was just a fucking nightmare lol 

• Downvote 1

I haven't been going as long as you lucky bunch, my first being 2010. For 5 years we had loads of free wood next to Lowers Webbs ash, and always had a campfire. I didn't know much about the naughty corner then, our evenings were always spent around camp discussing the days events. I'm pretty sure 2015 was the last time I saw firewood. We bought some logs from over by the Other in 2017, but security were straight to our camp requesting we be careful and put it out properly... 2 minutes before my mate drunkenly sat in it 🙄

14 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

I haven't been going as long as you lucky bunch, my first being 2010. For 5 years we had loads of free wood next to Lowers Webbs ash, and always had a campfire. I didn't know much about the naughty corner then, our evenings were always spent around camp discussing the days events. I'm pretty sure 2015 was the last time I saw firewood. We bought some logs from over by the Other in 2017, but security were straight to our camp requesting we be careful and put it out properly... 2 minutes before my mate drunkenly sat in it 🙄

We had a nice pair of policeman pop over for a chat late one night. Not very long after they departed our fire exploded due to some dickhead putting a bottle of vodka on it. Probably saw it for the other side of the site. And there were at least 6 people faster than Usain Bolt over 10m that night. My tent survived the shrapnel, others weren’t so lucky. Amazingly nobody got hurt. That’s why they don’t allow glass now. 

Edited by PassingCloud

5 minutes ago, adamg1602 said:

What happened to the guy who carried around the full size wooden cross with him? I'm sure he had a wheel on the bottom of it.  Anyone know ?

I believe there’s a story saying he died a painfull death and then was resurrected… not sure if it’s true though … a bit like the twix story really but not as legendary around these parts 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lebenski said:

A Stone Circle filled with fire and a few thousand people was the night time entertainment.  Just felt amazing to sit amongst all those people, look out at the festival as the hours drifted by bathed in campfires.  Since the introduction of the SE corner, it's just not as busy at the Stone Circle any more, and the fire has been replaced with mobile phone screens.  Didn't know how good we had it, did we?

My first 4-5 Glastonbury’s we always used to end up at the Stone Circle late night was one of my favourite parts then around 2009-2010 the SE Corner took off and no one really bothered with that or a fire around camp anymore which I find a bit sad that part of the festival has gone.  

57 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

One of my mates brought some soap bar with him in 2015 was like being transported back 15 years when he lit one up! 

I was recently gifted an ounce by my weed guy.  Got about a Q left to take with me.  The smell of that first one when I lit it, damn it was like I was a teenager again.  We've not seen hash round these parts since the turn of the century when everything switched to green as a result of so many people having their own little cottage garden in the spare room.

3 hours ago, scarletmist said:

And I sort of miss being able to park next to the tent, apart from when someone decided on Saturday that they wanted to drive out and that they could get past all the tents and guyropes.

But mostly I miss the underground, alternative and rebellious spirit of the festival; it was something that you'd never in a million years tell anyone at work that you'd gone to. It was a coming-together of people from across the country who were kindred spirits. There was nothing mainstream about going to Glastonbury, your parents/teachers/colleagues would often strongly disapprove of it.

The parking next to the tent thing was always crazy though, as you say people (usually in dubious states) going in or out between other tents even when there wasn't that much light.

Also people riding their motorbikes (without helmets of course) through areas which were a bit too crowded - pretty much just going for a joyride.

Your last point simply didn't apply to many of us, dunno what job you did that necessitated keeping it secret? 

I attended from the mid 80s, I was a teenager at a local college and knew a few students who came (none of whom attempted to keep it under their hat) but also knew plenty of middle aged folks who were coming as volunteers (including my parents and many friends of theirs).  When I started working I carried on attending and never made any attempt to keep it to myself and nor did any of my pals - those who didn't attend didn't know that much about it then if they weren't local as it wasn't on the national telly anyway and of course didn't get anything like the level of national news coverage it did later. 

2 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

That’s why they don’t allow glass now. 

I borrowed a VW camper from someone in 1999 and they definitely checked me for glass then, with the justification about the cows on the farm - I know as someone was hiding under a duvet as he wanted to sneak through the fence and they weren't interested in him 😉 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, adamg1602 said:

What happened to the guy who carried around the full size wooden cross with him? I'm sure he had a wheel on the bottom of it.  Anyone know ?

He had the wrong wheel and it ended up on the pile with all the other smashed up crucifixes that didn’t have the right wheel.