Festival drop off point: getting your kids

John the Moth

Anyone got any experience of using the pick up/drop off area to collect your kids for the festival?

I got a Thursday coach ticket for the cancelled 2020 festival. Mrs Moth wasn’t going to go as Mini Moth was too young.

They’re coming now for 2022 and naturally we wanted to get them coach tickets to match mine. Mini Moth doesn’t need a registration, but the festival website says just add an extra seat when booking. Mrs Moth was successful in the coach resale but the extra seat option never appeared.  No worries, website also says just email to get a seat added to the order. It all seemed so straight forward. Emailed. Nope. No seats. We’ll let you know!

We’re on the wait list for cancellations so hopefully something will become available, but we have a plan B; persuade someone to drive the daughter to the drop off point Thursday morning about the same time as we arrive and I go get her.

Any advice on this, or even alternative suggestions?

We had a couple of other ideas but this seems the least risky option if we can get someone to help.

We have no one to leave her    with for the 5 days so plan C is Mrs Moth cancels and they go do something else. That idea went down like a cup of cold sick.

I'm also in West Brom! I'd deliver a Mini Moth but alas travel on Monday. 

In terms of the actual possibilities - yes that should be very doable as long as someone will drive her down. The pick up point is Bath and West, and there's shuttles running between the site and there. I think fairly regularly. Good luck!

I've been a 'child' (albeit an adult one) being picked up and dropped off at Bath and West and will be doing it again this year. (though it's been a long time since I did it now thanks to kind friends with cars and my own)

Getting to Bath and West is easier than the rest of the site from the outside - away form the one way systems and car park queues. There is a very regular shuttle service from B&W to near Gate A running 24 hours a day from Wednesday morning through Monday close for drop off/pick ups and also this year the moved camper van site. I believe it's a bus every 10 minutes or so.

Depending on how mini, mini-Moth is they might be able to get to Gate A from there once deposited, otherwise it should be easy enough for you to find them in the queue / field if you jump on the shuttle and head out. It'll likely take half an hour plus bus queue time to do the round trip.

(I'm prepared for those more familiar with all this to shoot much of this down but hopefully it helps a little)

Another idea. If mini-Moth is happy travelling alone, National Express buses could maybe be an option?

1 hour ago, irnkrtn said:

I'm also in West Brom! I'd deliver a Mini Moth but alas travel on Monday. 

In terms of the actual possibilities - yes that should be very doable as long as someone will drive her down. The pick up point is Bath and West, and there's shuttles running between the site and there. I think fairly regularly. Good luck!

I didn’t realise it was B&W, thought it was festival adjacent. Might make avoiding road closures  a bit easier 🙂

1 hour ago, Beaver89 said:

I've been a 'child' (albeit an adult one) being picked up and dropped off at Bath and West and will be doing it again this year. (though it's been a long time since I did it now thanks to kind friends with cars and my own)

Getting to Bath and West is easier than the rest of the site from the outside - away form the one way systems and car park queues. There is a very regular shuttle service from B&W to near Gate A running 24 hours a day from Wednesday morning through Monday close for drop off/pick ups and also this year the moved camper van site. I believe it's a bus every 10 minutes or so.

Depending on how mini, mini-Moth is they might be able to get to Gate A from there once deposited, otherwise it should be easy enough for you to find them in the queue / field if you jump on the shuttle and head out. It'll likely take half an hour plus bus queue time to do the round trip.

(I'm prepared for those more familiar with all this to shoot much of this down but hopefully it helps a little)

Another idea. If mini-Moth is happy travelling alone, National Express buses could maybe be an option?

She’s 4, (a smart 4 mind you) 😉. Thanks for the info though, sounds like it would be easy for me to go get her. I’m hoping my brother will agree to drive her down and wait with her.

I have done this a few times with my children, but had them collected on the Friday rather then delivered.

got the shuttle bus from gate a, met family at bath and west, handed over Children, got back on shuttle bus, was back in the festival within about 45 mins.!

very quick and easy each time but it was on Friday pm, so no queuing etc.

I Might add, this was pre camper vans at B/W, so not sure what queuing for shuttle bus is like now.. but I’m sure still an easy process.!

Edited by k8yphillips
  • Upvote 1

Ours were not so mini, but what I did twice was meet my sister in the lanes by the campervan East fields, the spot where vans turn off the lane into the fields, and collected the kids from her.

Once you are wristbanded you can go anywhere to meet somebody. Get a cab or walk to Shepton Mallet for a handover. Get the bus to Castlecary station. As long as whoever is bringing mini is happy to be a bit flexible and has a charged up mobile then you will be fine.

if mini is happy with your brother I’d recommend you get a night or two without her and get her in for Saturday/Sunday.

enjoy 🙂

57 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

if mini is happy with your brother I’d recommend you get a night or two without her and get her in for Saturday/Sunday.

enjoy 🙂

I like the idea but not practical for us for two reasons.

First we’re travelling from NZ so with Covid limiting travel for nearly 3 years come June, all my family are essentially strangers she’s just seen on video messenger.

Second Mini Moth is even more excited about the festival than I am. She’s been brought up surrounded by musicians and live music as her mum is a professional. Even as I type this I can hear her in the next room singing Chaise Longue 🤣

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, John the Moth said:

She’s 4, (a smart 4 mind you) 😉. Thanks for the info though, sounds like it would be easy for me to go get her. I’m hoping my brother will agree to drive her down and wait with her.

My little un is 4 but wasn't bringing her this year...let's just say I had a change of heart... How would (could) I go about that? Can a sproglet be added even when sold out, or no? P.s. I know I could probably find this info somewhere, in less than the time it took me to write this, but hey, what can I say - I like talking to you guys! 

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

My little un is 4 but wasn't bringing her this year...let's just say I had a change of heart... How would (could) I go about that? Can a sproglet be added even when sold out, or no? P.s. I know I could probably find this info somewhere, in less than the time it took me to write this, but hey, what can I say - I like talking to you guys! 

image.png.97ac7bd0b212ef3658613467c1233b10.png

We did this in 2016 - the muddy one - so yeah, it took forever due to the conditions. We were based in Williams Green too, so that was a trek with all her stuff.

One thing to remember is they may ask for back up id if you leave site, such as a driving licence. I remember having to let my wife go on alone to B&W from the gate as I didn't have anything on me to show.

6 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

We did this in 2016 - the muddy one - so yeah, it took forever due to the conditions. We were based in Williams Green too, so that was a trek with all her stuff.

One thing to remember is they may ask for back up id if you leave site, such as a driving licence. I remember having to let my wife go on alone to B&W from the gate as I didn't have anything on me to show.

That’s good to know. Mrs Moth neglected to change her registration from her maiden name to her married name.

Have to dig out her old docs just in case.

• Upvote 1

We get our grandchildren dropped off by gate A. 

I usually go out to meet the car on the way down from Pilton and just ask the security to let them jump out.. That way the driver can just carry on up to Glastonbury and home.. 

Just a thought..