Train tickets

zahidf

Need to book ours, though we're doing the journey on the Tuesday and staying in Castle Cary. Aiming for the first shuttle bus to leave the station in the morning.

Easy journey- 2 hours liverpool to London, quick taxi to Paddington then 1 hour 40 to castle cary. Should have the whole evening 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Need to book ours, though we're doing the journey on the Tuesday and staying in Castle Cary. Aiming for the first shuttle bus to leave the station in the morning.

Easy journey- 2 hours liverpool to London, quick taxi to Paddington then 1 hour 40 to castle cary. Should have the whole evening 

If you use Trainpal it comes in at £115.20 return each, going via birmingham. The return is via reading. Dont know if thats any better ?

Return trip

OUT Tue, 21 Jun 2022 11:07 — 16:01

Liverpool Lime St to Castle Cary

4h 54m, 2 changes
View stations
Off-Peak Return
RTNMon, 27 Jun 2022 14:31 — 19:45

Castle Cary to Liverpool Lime St

5h 14m, 2 changes
View stations
Off-Peak Return

Price Summary

The ticket (1 adult)£115.2

Booking Fee£0

Total£115.20

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

What on earth are you going via London for?!

You can change at Wolverhampton or Birmingham to either then go to Bristol or Reading and then direct from there. 

38 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

What on earth are you going via London for?!

You can change at Wolverhampton or Birmingham to either then go to Bristol or Reading and then direct from there. 

Quicker journey, and after past experiences changing trains with all our festival stuff that needs to be kept to a minimum. We'll be carrying more this time too! 

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Quicker journey, and after past experiences changing trains with all our festival stuff that needs to be kept to a minimum. We'll be carrying more this time too! 

Fair enough, but can't think it would be that much difference in times!  🙂 

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Fair enough, but can't think it would be that much difference in times!  🙂 

Not hugely, but that 25 min changeover in Birmingham is a concern - that's where I had a previous nightmare. Was so weighed down with stuff and moving so slow there last time that i nearly missed a similar previous connection. Not a pleasant journey at all! Fine if the platforms are close but we had to cross to the other part of the whole station that time 

Edited by efcfanwirral

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not hugely, but that 25 min changeover in Birmingham is a concern - that's where I had a previous nightmare. Was so weighed down with stuff and moving so slow there last time that i nearly missed a similar previous connection. Not a pleasant journey at all! Fine if the platforms are close but we had to cross to the other part of the whole station that time 

Fair enough, I'm sure you know what you're doing. 🙂 

I think I'll probably be getting the train there on Thursday morning (although they seemed to have ditched most of the direct trains from Newbury and bumped the price grrr).

What's the deal with the shuttle bus?  How busy or long is the queue likely to be at 9am on Thursday?

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Fair enough, I'm sure you know what you're doing. 🙂 

I am glad you asked as I was wondering for a while last night.  efcfanwirral, if it is any more help to you, I travel from Hooton to Temple Meads and go Monday to Monday for WaterAid agenda and travel Hooton - Chester - Newport (via Hereford) then change for BTM.  Yep, its a slower train but the scenery is fantastic hugging the English / Welsh border down through Church Stretton, Ludlow etc.

A few tins of IPA, some sarnies and a book.  Its one of the most scenic journeys in the country.  Have a gander as the thought of via London sounds horrific.

I booked last night for 52 return (with a railcard) but that was to Bristol.