2023 legend slot

ProperTea

35 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Kylie and Barry Gibb might have 10+ household bangers, but is that really the case with Kenny Rogers, ELO or Dolly?

Dolly absolutely has, so has Diana and Lionel who you conveniently missed out. Kenny Rodger’s was a while ago before the slot evolved more to what it is now. ELO was a big swing and a miss, and made Roxy even less likely.

Edited by Jose Pose

31 minutes ago, Neil said:

if i ran with the crowd, i'd have said spice girls were legends, even after two had said they'd never been asked.

What about if the spice girls announced they had a special show to announce and on the same day a giant Union Jack and a spice rack appeared on the Pyramid field?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Neil said:

it wasn't that with tom jones, it wasn't that with johnny cash. it wasn't that with every act that's played that slot.

its for legendary acts, such as roxy music, i had info nit was them, and had every reason to believe that info,

roxy were as wrong for that slot as bryan ferry was as a west holts headliner, if michael wants an act it tends to happen.

It isn’t, at all. Only in your head. 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Really? The comments at the time were that despite large parts of the crowd not knowing all that many songs, she was still able to carry the slot through sheer force of personality.

Conversely I think ELO absolutely do have the hits (15 UK top 10s), but through sheer force of personality were not able to carry the slot!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Really? The comments at the time were that despite large parts of the crowd not knowing all that many songs, she was still able to carry the slot through sheer force of personality.

I’m no huge Dolly fan and wasn’t even there, but I can think of 5 without even looking.

Roxy music have at best four songs people might recognise, and for the majority if they did recognise them they wouldn’t have known they were by them.

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

I’m no huge Dolly fan and wasn’t even there, but I can think of 5 without even looking.

Curious as to those 5... I think Jolene, 9 to 5, Islands in the stream and I will always love you are the ones that have entered the public consciousness. Looking at her setlist, the only others familiar to me are the covers. (i like Bon Jovi!)

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Curious as to those 5... I think Jolene, 9 to 5, Islands in the stream and I will always love you are the ones that have entered the public consciousness. Looking at her setlist, the only others familiar to me are the covers. (i like Bon Jovi!)

Here you come again is a huge banger 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

roxy were as wrong for that slot as bryan ferry was as a west holts headliner, if michael wants an act it tends to happen.

So Michael didn’t want Roxy then… he probably thought it would be naff like most people.

I don’t think you can pigeonhole the Legends slot too much because by the very nature of the meaning of legend there aren’t a lot of them around and therefore it would be difficult for it to be filled with a true legend every year. 

Just my humble opinion.

I was pretty up for Roxy Music tbf.

49 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Coat Of Many Colors is a copper-bottomed classic.

But the point re. Dolly being a born entertainer with charisma to spare vs. Jeff Lynne hiding behind his shades and only giving the crowd an occasional thumbs up is spot on.

When the gig is a reciprocal love in - like it was with Lionel, Barry Gibb, Kylie and Diana - there's not much that can match it.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But the point re. Dolly being a born entertainer with charisma to spare vs. Jeff Lynne hiding behind his shades and only giving the crowd an occasional thumbs up is spot on.

When the gig is a reciprocal love in - like it was with Lionel, Barry Gibb, Kylie and Diana - there's not much that can match it.

Yep, which is why Robbie is about as much of a tap in for the slot you can get.

His whole show is based on crowd interaction. 

I reckon it’s him next year, Spice Girls 2024.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I will always love you. 

The song too.