2023 legend slot

ProperTea

14 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

I don’t think they’ve evolved to legends in the 6 years since their mid afternoon Pyramid slot.

As a huge lover of ska, two tone, I would be very happy to not see Madness. When they played at Victorious the crowd was super grumpy, Suggs was half cut, they all started bickering on stage, and we ended up leaving because it was so dull. I’ve seen them other times and they were ok, but I would rather see another act. 

5 minutes ago, eatingglitter said:

As a huge lover of ska, two tone, I would be very happy to not see Madness. When they played at Victorious the crowd was super grumpy, Suggs was half cut, they all started bickering on stage, and we ended up leaving because it was so dull. I’ve seen them other times and they were ok, but I would rather see another act. 

Interesting to know, I was at their set at Glastonbury that I referred to and it’s not particularly memorable, just typical pyramid afternoon background fodder. I think if they’d split up 30 years ago and and not been active at all, you could make the case for them doing the legend slot, but they’ve been around and as you say, not always very good.

14 hours ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Could someone better qualified than me kindly compile a list of all the current candidates including likelihood a la the headliners thread. Robbie, Eurythmics, Spice Girls come to mind but sure there are loads I’ve forgotten. (Sorry if there already is one that I’ve missed).

I did one but it's not people actually in contention, it was more everyone listed in this thread ever until i got bored half way through. 

(i'm not sure if that's linked correctly...)

Edited by GeezLouise

Just now, MK1 said:

What about John Fogerty? He is playing Holland june 9. More dates in Europe/UK are likely....

Would be a fantastic option. As would Don Henley.

But gut feeling is - if (as is starting to look likely) we're getting 3 male headliners, the festival will go all out to ensure that there's some female presence in the next biggest slot on the bill.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Get him there by all means, but he doesn't have the personality or the sense of showmanship to be the 4th headliner.

Nah, that's miles off. He's not Dolly Parton, but nor is he Jeff Lynne. His stage presence is perfectly strong enough.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've seen him. He's great and has the tunes - but he's not a legend slot candidate.

I've also seen him, including the time he played at Glastonbury, and I disagree entirely. He can engage with and hold the crowd just fine - including in some pretty abysmal conditions in 2007.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

I've also seen him, including the time he played at Glastonbury, and I disagree entirely. He can engage with and hold the crowd just fine - including in some pretty abysmal conditions in 2007.

He’s hardly a household name though, which I’d have thought is a prerequisite these days for that slot

Yeah John Fogerty isn’t a Sunday legend act at all and would completely go over a lot of peoples heads despite the banging back catalogue. Creedence were a behemoth in America but that hasn’t carried over nearly as much here. Would be all over him playing one day though - fourth or fifth down the Pyramid (just not Sunday) seems about right I think. 

Edited by 2loor2iller
Edit

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

He’s hardly a household name though, which I’d have thought is a prerequisite these days for that slot

People questioned the choice of Ray Davies on the same criteria.

But they knew the songs (as they do with Fogerty) and he went down well.