2023 legend slot

ProperTea

On 10/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, km9 said:

Ha ha, I didn't say I thought he should, but with the way that spot seems to shift around it wouldn't surprise me if they brought in another country singer, and among country fans he's huge 

He sold 400,000 tickets for his recent run of 5 gigs at Croke Park. Four hundred thousand. That about 5% of the population of the island north and south.  Each to their own and all that, I couldn’t think of a worse way to spend the afternoon (well, if I really thought about it, maybe I could!), but he clearly has a lot of fans. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

He sold 400,000 tickets for his recent run of 5 gigs at Croke Park. Four hundred thousand. That about 5% of the population of the island north and south.  Each to their own and all that, I couldn’t think of a worse way to spend the afternoon (well, if I really thought about it, maybe I could!), but he clearly has a lot of fans. 

Isn't there a strong affinity for country in Ireland? 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Isn't there a strong affinity for country in Ireland? 

Even then 400k is absurd. Very few could sell that in London which has a far larger population than both irelands together - let alone just main Ireland (not sure how much he was charging)

54 minutes ago, gfa said:

Even then 400k is absurd. Very few could sell that in London which has a far larger population than both irelands together - let alone just main Ireland (not sure how much he was charging)

They were €60 odd standing and €80 odd seated. Sold out all 5 dates in no time. Pretty crazy demand to be honest…

5 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

This is exactly what I was getting at. 

Also I think Annie Lennox is a great shout

5 hours ago, gfa said:

Other connections too apparently 

https://www.thejournal.ie/why-does-ireland-like-garth-brooks-concert-croke-park-5855095-Sep2022/

On 10/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, GrumpyRaver said:

They’re playing Annie Lennox in my local this afternoon… they seriously need to get her in this slot asap.

Been saying this for a few years.  Her back catalogue including Eurythmics would challenge anyone and her voice is (or was) incredible live.

Chuffed if it is Roxy Music to be fair and would definitely watch that.  Although if any of Do The Strand, Virginia Plain, Love is the Drug or Slave to Love were missing from the setlist, I would be fucking furious.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Chuffed if it is Roxy Music to be fair and would definitely watch that.  Although if any of Do The Strand, Virginia Plain, Love is the Drug or Slave to Love were missing from the setlist, I would be fucking furious.

Can guarantee that Slave to Love wouldn’t be played - it’s a Ferry solo track. You should be ok with the others - all present on the recent tour

38 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Dunno if Glasto do this with the legends, but Rob Da Bank got The Cure to agree to play all the hits in the contract for their Bestival headline set.  Wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for the tea time slot.

57 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Dunno if Glasto do this with the legends, but Rob Da Bank got The Cure to agree to play all the hits in the contract for their Bestival headline set.  Wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for the tea time slot.

And didn't it drag on! I left after quite a few songs to go to see basement jaxx (I think), came back what seemed like hours later and they were still playing. Seemed like the longest set ever.

9 hours ago, km9 said:

Correction, probably groove armada 

Neither Groove Armada nor Basement Jaxx were playing at same time as The Cure either time they headlined Bestival, so not sure which time you’re on about… but 2011 was a pure unadulterated joy from my end. 2015 dragged a bit, but then I more than made up for it by nipping out early for Richie Hawtin, followed by Leftfield, Crystal Fighters, and then going back to my tent with the most ridiculously hot person I’ve ever had the pleasure to hook up with.

17 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Neither Groove Armada nor Basement Jaxx were playing at same time as The Cure either time they headlined Bestival, so not sure which time you’re on about… but 2011 was a pure unadulterated joy from my end. 2015 dragged a bit, but then I more than made up for it by nipping out early for Richie Hawtin, followed by Leftfield, Crystal Fighters, and then going back to my tent with the most ridiculously hot person I’ve ever had the pleasure to hook up with.

Yes, looks like you're right. I can only think that it was Annie Mac then. 11 years ago though 😩

BTW, 2016 not 2015 😉

Edited by km9
Pedantry
  • Upvote 1