Camping close to hedges/trees?

jimmillen

All the other campsite & camping threads have got me thinking about my location this year 🙂 I'm hoping to arrive early enough to choose my spot, and will be avoiding the busiest fields like Pennards, Oxlyers, Big Ground etc in favour of something a little more peaceful out west. Was in Pennards the last time I went in 2016 and decided I'm too old for that these days 😂

If I can find a suitable spot, I'm quite tempted to pitch the tent near a tall hedge or trees for shade. However - I'm worried about both people using the hedge as a toilet (I know they shouldn't, but...) and also possibly using the line of trees/hedges as a footpath so there's the potential for lots of drunk or stoned people tripping over my tent. Which wouldn't be ideal.

Just wondered if any of y'all have camped near the trees or hedges previously? Am I worrying over nothing?

14 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

All the other campsite & camping threads have got me thinking about my location this year 🙂 I'm hoping to arrive early enough to choose my spot, and will be avoiding the busiest fields like Pennards, Oxlyers, Big Ground etc in favour of something a little more peaceful out west. Was in Pennards the last time I went in 2016 and decided I'm too old for that these days 😂

If I can find a suitable spot, I'm quite tempted to pitch the tent near a tall hedge or trees for shade. However - I'm worried about both people using the hedge as a toilet (I know they shouldn't, but...) and also possibly using the line of trees/hedges as a footpath so there's the potential for lots of drunk or stoned people tripping over my tent. Which wouldn't be ideal.

Just wondered if any of y'all have camped near the trees or hedges previously? Am I worrying over nothing?

I would have thought if your further out from the more lively/busy fields you shouldn't have the same issues with this kind of thing - especially if your careful about where you pitch to make sure your not in a strategic cut through etc

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

I camp in Michael's Mead.  There's a hedge to the left if you're looking up the hill (Spring Ground is the other side of it) and I usually try and get up against it.  If you put your tent far enough back, you can stop a walkway behind your tent from forming.  Team up with your neighbours to do the same.  You could always put guy ropes across into the hedge but you run the risk of someone falling into/tripping over them then!

I love the Questions section of these boards...

Absolute kudos for discussing the benefits (or not) of pitching your tent next to a hedge whilst in Chat people are running around with their hair on fire speculating which stage and what day everyone on the poster will play.. Marvellous work!

btw, I have never camped (10 years in the CV fields) and I dont have a ticket for this year..

If I did on both counts, I would pitch against a hedge no question.

29 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Absolute kudos for discussing the benefits (or not) of pitching your tent next to a hedge whilst in Chat people are running around with their hair on fire speculating which stage and what day everyone on the poster will play.. Marvellous work!

I love the lineup chat, but absolutely just here for discussion of trolleys, coolboxes and camping spots really. 🤓

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Woken up with a turd next to our tent when camped near the old location of beat hotel next to a hedge … not camped by a hedge since … so can’t tell you if it’s standard practice … 

That’s exactly the sort of thing I was worried about… 🤢 Mind you, that’s a much busier part of the site ain’t it?

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

That’s exactly the sort of thing I was worried about… 🤢 Mind you, that’s a much busier part of the site ain’t it?

It’s central yes …. As for busier not so sure … it’s all pretty busy … advantage of a hedge might give you a bit of shade too 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Woken up with a turd next to our tent when camped near the old location of beat hotel next to a hedge … not camped by a hedge since … so can’t tell you if it’s standard practice … 

yeah, i change my vote.... dont camp near the turdy hedge

Way back in the day, after we got evicted from Dragon, my new favourite spot was along the eastern edge of Kidney Mead.

The trees there are tall enough, and in the right direction, that they provided a decent amount of shade well into the morning even if you camped a few tents back from them (which would largely keep you clear of the potential issues described above).

Used to have to jump through hoops in order to get through the gates early enough to secure the spot though.. No idea how quickly that part of the site fills up these days, as I'm far too old to be doing that and I've found that using a Fresh&Black tent solves the problem much more neatly.

So yeah, get a F&B tent and it'll handle the heat/light issues as well or better than you'll get with strategic pitching.

3 hours ago, waynewdk said:

Do the fresh and black tents make a massive difference to the heat, that is the one thing I hate when drinking and camping. I can put a fresh shirt on and my back and head will be dripping by the time I have buttoned it up

yes .... although they dont do anything when you step outside with the scorching weather we are gonna have 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Fresh n Black tents really are a game changer - the only problem is whereas you would normally get baked out of your tent at about 7am when the sun hits it, you can now quite readily sleep in til 9 or 10 and this may destroy any early doors plans you might have . . . for anyone working they’re absolutely fantastic for sleeping after a night shift. Very recommended, the one with inflatable poles is a 5 min, one person job from bag to full erection. Marvellous scenes 

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Fresh n Black tents really are a game changer - the only problem is whereas you would normally get baked out of your tent at about 7am when the sun hits it, you can now quite readily sleep in til 9 or 10 and this may destroy any early doors plans you might have . . . for anyone working they’re absolutely fantastic for sleeping after a night shift. Very recommended, the one with inflatable poles is a 5 min, one person job from bag to full erection. Marvellous scenes 

That’s enough about your time to full erection thank very much 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:32 PM, balti-pie said:

I slept in until about 1 in the afternoon after a night shift in the baking temperatures of 2019. Thanks to F&B

Before they got really heavy on the don't pee on the land thing.... Quite right too btw.... I remember the hedges WERE the go to place to have a piss...and it was really bad everywhere but now there's enough loos that I'd hope it's changed... But personally I wouldn't camp near a hedge.. 

6 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Before they got really heavy on the don't pee on the land thing.... Quite right too btw.... I remember the hedges WERE the go to place to have a piss...and it was really bad everywhere but now there's enough loos that I'd hope it's changed... But personally I wouldn't camp near a hedge.. 

I’ve plenty of memories of 2019 of seeing people pissing in hedges, wouldn’t be for me.