Beer Prices

Barneym

1 minute ago, tim said:

Ready reckoner is excellent, thanks. However, is Brothers Festival Pear still 7%? If so then it should top the list.

Not at the main bars at the brothers bar they may have the stronger stuff

1 hour ago, Gulping Gull said:

£6.50 for a pint of 4% lager is a complete piss take for somewhere that thinks its some sort of free loving hippy fest. This is over double what a pint of Carlsberg costs in my local freehouse, in Zone 3 London. Capitalism is live and well at Glastonbury!

On the other hand, i cant really blame them. With such an affluent middle, class crowd why not take advantage and charge this amount?  

Don't act like >£3.25 isn't exceptionally cheap for a pint of lager or that £6 is outrageous in 2023.

Anyone that lives in a city knows it's basically impossible to find a sub-£5 pint these days.

Edited by squareheadz
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Gulping Gull said:

I dont really buy the whole, its the company who have the contract that set the prices thing. The festival will have plenty of companies vying to supply the beer, so surely they can set price levels and guidance in the bidding process? It is, after all, still their festival.

Yeah I get that, the festival does hold the power as the customer. However, this way of dealing with rising costs will be industry wide, and I would argue that reliability of the supplier is far more important than a few % being knocked off the strength. Therefore I would expect their pool of suppliers to be limited.

Furthermore these contracts are also probably signed way in advance. The festival offers bringing your own alcohol, to me that's enough in itself.

Also 4% Brooklyn Lager pint sounds okay to me! Aren't the majority of lagers between 3.5-5% in pubs anyway? I pay upwards of £6.50 in some places in Manchester City Centre!

27 minutes ago, squareheadz said:

Don't act like >£3.25 isn't exceptionally cheap for a pint of lager or that £6 is outrageous in 2023.

Anyone that lives in a city knows it's basically impossible to find a sub-£5 pint these days.

Unfortunately also applies to village pubs too. Can't get a pint for much less than a fiver where I live.

With Glasto I'd probably be more concerned at the cost of food if relying on buying from vendors. For example, Strawberry Fair was £14 for Jerk Chicken, rice and peas so would assume similar pricing at Glasto.

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

£6.50 Brooklyn Lager, I'd probably but one at some point. Brooklyn Pilsner? I guess possibly if it's really hot. Whatever this 4% piss is? Not a chance.

This is what I don't get. They could stick Brooklyn lager on and possibly sway a festival worth of beer drinkers to buying their beer afterwards thinking "oh that was much nicer than that Carlsberg piss and I can get it in the supermarket"

At £6.50 a pint their profit must be pretty good, so brewing a specificly sh*t beer is just a kick in teeth to festival goers, and bad business 

I've been buying beer at the bars since my student days ended, but I won't be this year (except brothers bar)

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chris_nre said:

Unfortunately also applies to village pubs too. Can't get a pint for much less than a fiver where I live.

With Glasto I'd probably be more concerned at the cost of food if relying on buying from vendors. For example, Strawberry Fair was £14 for Jerk Chicken, rice and peas so would assume similar pricing at Glasto.

Even the village I live in (15 mins from Cambridge) charges more for a Guinness or decent IPA than half of the pubs in the city! £6.50 for a pint is certainly expensive comparing it to the spots and social club but sadly I'm very used to paying close to it. 

Edit: Up the U's

Edited by theesundayroast
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Even the village I live in (15 mins from Cambridge) charges more for a Guinness or decent IPA than half of the pubs in the city! £6.50 for a pint is certainly expensive comparing it to the spots and social club but sadly I'm very used to paying close to it. 

Up the U’s 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

Love the avatar pic. Would Wessi be able to afford a pint of Guinness at Glasto!

£6.50 for a pint at a festival is still reasonable I would say (all things considered). 
Don’t really count the spirit prices at Glastonbury as you’d be nuts to pay them when you can bring your own bottles of whatever you like with you!

Edited by st dan

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

£6.50 for a pint at a festival is still reasonable I would say (all things considered). 
Don’t really count the spirit prices at Glastonbury as you’d be nuts to pay them when you can bring your own bottles of whatever you like with you!

No real issue with the price, it's just the awful quality of the beer.