Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Saw Muireann Bradley and Ghostwoman over the weekend.

Chatting to Muireann Bradley after. She and her manager (Her auntie) aren't sure what festivals shes playing even though theres a tour announced. All giddy and overwhelmbed by it all. Mentioned Glasto and she didnt know. 

Ghostwoman were epic. We need more music like that at the G. Cheeky stop Sunday night en route home?

https://ghost-woman.com/

Saw Ladyhawke at the Yellow Arch Studios in Sheffield last night .. wasn’t sure how much of her stuff I would know .. turns out she was playing her first album right through and I knew most of it.  She was great.. would definitely see her again. 

IMG_9111.jpeg

IMG_9119.jpeg

Saw Enter Shikari start their UK tour and Noah Kahan in Leeds over the weekend. The former are reliably impressive enough on arena stages to justify it, but sales were absolutely rotten.

The latter, meanwhile, has a shade of Cherry Ghost about him. Know there's an apparent like for the critics to say he's somewhere between Paul Simon and Mumford and Sons for his songwriting, but he's far more Americana than folk.

Took in The 1975 on their first night in Manchester. The Still...At Their Very Best works strikingly effectively for those who have already seen the original At Their Very Best run - there aren't too many changes, but those made are clearly responsive to the reactions, personas and controversies of 2023. Beyond that though, they're just an exceptionally well-drilled, well-layered band; even without the invention of their stagecraft, they just hold the attention. Think it's probably a step more mainstream this second time around, but there's barely a lull to be had.

On 2/14/2024 at 1:55 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Saw Enter Shikari start their UK tour and Noah Kahan in Leeds over the weekend. The former are reliably impressive enough on arena stages to justify it, but sales were absolutely rotten.

The latter, meanwhile, has a shade of Cherry Ghost about him. Know there's an apparent like for the critics to say he's somewhere between Paul Simon and Mumford and Sons for his songwriting, but he's far more Americana than folk.

I was the Shikari gig in London on Saturday....they were amazing.  

14 hours ago, Quark said:

Slowdive in Brighton on Friday night.  I'm not a massive fan (as in I haven't listened to them a huge amount) but saw a bit of them in Woodsies last year so took a punt on a ticket. Glorious stuff.

Strange, was my fourth time seeing them and comfortably the worst. Atmosphere felt really disjointed, but it down to the recent bereavement. Rachel seemed all over the place and the house light situation set a weird tone from the off.

12 hours ago, Porcelina said:

Strange, was my fourth time seeing them and comfortably the worst. Atmosphere felt really disjointed, but it down to the recent bereavement. Rachel seemed all over the place and the house light situation set a weird tone from the off.

Ugh, forgot about the house lights! That was laughably inept. First time I've seen that sort of thing be an issue at the Dome.

I'd love to see them on a good day in that case, I really enjoyed it.  But maybe the benefit of not having much to compare it to and just letting the noise wash over me!

1 hour ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

I know they don’t get a lot of love on here, but caught Keane last night at Shepherds Bush Empire and they were sounding great. They played loads of their 2004 album and some more recent stuff. With a tour coming up and a big Glastonbury Shaped Hole I’m pretty sure we’ll be seeing them this year. 

All killer no filler on the setlist, a tight Pyramid hour 4th from top will go down a storm

IMG_3233.thumb.jpeg.bb02a0a71c34ee4b1f5c2351e133934a.jpeg

• Like 1

Went to see GZA last week at Project House in Leeds.

Came on an hour late and I thought the sound was really bad, I had to put some earplugs in. He was totally drowned out by having a full band on stage. Would have preferred it if it was him, another rapper and a DJ. We ended up leaving after about 30 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

All killer no filler on the setlist, a tight Pyramid hour 4th from top will go down a storm

IMG_3233.thumb.jpeg.bb02a0a71c34ee4b1f5c2351e133934a.jpeg

Cracking set overall, but would have thought they'd save at least one of the more popular upbeat tracks for the encore.  That said, I'd definitely see them at G off the back of that.

Ferris & Sylvester played in Huddersfield last night at The Parish to about 150 people and were great, despite not playing 2 of my favourite songs of theirs.  New tracks sounding great live.

The tour finishes at Black Deer Fest on 14/6.  I asked them about Glasto and got an enigmatic smile in return, with no comment.  Unsure if that's a confirmation or not......

24 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Cracking set overall, but would have thought they'd save at least one of the more popular upbeat tracks for the encore.  

It was a charity gig for War Child last night so they played the single they released for War Child (Night Sky) in the encore, but think that was a one-off really. At Glastonbury I’m sure they’d end with some of the bigger hits and drop the less known ones. Would love to see them on Pyramid 3rd or 4th down. Caught them in 2019 on Acoustic stage but had to leave before the end to race to see The Killers (Acoustic stage was overrunning so timings all went wrong). 

11 hours ago, sfroml said:

Went to see GZA last week at Project House in Leeds.

Came on an hour late and I thought the sound was really bad, I had to put some earplugs in. He was totally drowned out by having a full band on stage. Would have preferred it if it was him, another rapper and a DJ. We ended up leaving after about 30 minutes. 

I missed Newcastle but my mates review was practically verbatim other than the earplugs. On late, awful sound, left early!

Other than the pyramid slot with RZA in 2011, I’ve not been to a wu tang / solo show where they haven’t phoned it in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Badlands said:

I missed Newcastle but my mates review was practically verbatim other than the earplugs. On late, awful sound, left early!

Other than the pyramid slot with RZA in 2011, I’ve not been to a wu tang / solo show where they haven’t phoned it in.

We're back at Project House tonight for Idles so hopefully the sound quality will be alright, it's a nice venue, but we saw Fat White Family there last September and the sound wasn't great either (despite this it was a BRILLIANT gig!) A friend went last night to the same venue and said sound was good but it was freezing!

Was pretty gutted about GZA as we bough tickets a few years back and it kept being rescheduled and then cancelled.

Saw Strongboi at Exchange in Bristol last night. Alice Phoebe Lous other band. It was an outstanding, sold out show with great atmosphere and lovely to see her really getting into the groove of her funky upbeat danceable tunes. Would love to see her as herself or with Strongboi on the farm this year.