2023 Festival

TheWaters

16 hours ago, gregory said:

How many acts are missing from each stage / each day?

1 to be added to the main stage on the Friday and the Sunday (Reading) I think.

Who knows on the other stages, they seem to quite happily not fill them up these days.

Guess they may even cut the main stage to 12 on those days, would follow the trend

On 4/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, TKOCF said:

Guess there’s just not much to talk about really. 

…anyone got any secret set predictions?

Deserves another airing.

How the lineup would look in the old days. All purple slots are those no longer booked (R1 replacements just taken from who was in the slots in 2018, not a prediction or anything)

There were also a couple more bookings a day on the one xtra pre COVID too that I forgot to colour purple!

Over 20 less acts a day 🤣

11F645D8-B5B9-4CA4-88D8-102CB3A58873.jpeg.5507e5fa58e0415197d90c3c9ec2bd04.jpeg

Edited by Benj

9 minutes ago, Benj said:

Deserves another airing.

How the lineup would look in the old days. All purple slots are those no longer booked (R1 replacements just taken from who was in the slots in 2018, not a prediction or anything)

There were also a couple more bookings a day on the one xtra pre COVID too that I forgot to colour purple!

Over 20 less acts a day 🤣

11F645D8-B5B9-4CA4-88D8-102CB3A58873.jpeg.5507e5fa58e0415197d90c3c9ec2bd04.jpeg

New format makes everything look out of place. You have bands like Noisy and The Murder Capital on a stage that’s dedicated to dance because there isn’t enough slots on the non-dance named stages! Baffles me.

41 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

New format makes everything look out of place. You have bands like Noisy and The Murder Capital on a stage that’s dedicated to dance because there isn’t enough slots on the non-dance named stages! Baffles me.

The dance tent is shit for non dance acts too as the screens are shit and you can’t see anything

It’s a massively reduced experience in the arena.

The only upside that can be claimed is that it’s allowed them to book Imagine Dragons, when there otherwise would’ve unlikely been a slot for them

• Like 1

With All Elite Wrestling announcing their first ever UK show at Wembley Stadium on the Sunday of R&L, it’s looking like this is going to be the first year since I started going in 2010 that I’m not going to make the Leeds weekend in any capacity 😢 the end of an era. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:34 PM, Andre91 said:

With All Elite Wrestling announcing their first ever UK show at Wembley Stadium on the Sunday of R&L, it’s looking like this is going to be the first year since I started going in 2010 that I’m not going to make the Leeds weekend in any capacity 😢 the end of an era. 

Me too, i've gone to every single Reading Festival for as long as I can remember, even when the line up hasn't been to my liking, i've found a positive somewhere, however this year I really can't find one at all...RIP R&L.

2 hours ago, D666N said:

Me too, i've gone to every single Reading Festival for as long as I can remember, even when the line up hasn't been to my liking, i've found a positive somewhere, however this year I really can't find one at all...RIP R&L.

A result of the two main stages finally manifesting themselves in properly in people’s perceptions.

All choice is gone. Like the one stream or lump it.

Seems a lot of us have decided not to lump it and are going elsewhere this year

Hopefully they can live off the one and done demographic who know no better, otherwise it may well be a V-esque RIP. 

1 hour ago, Benj said:

A result of the two main stages finally manifesting themselves in properly in people’s perceptions.

All choice is gone. Like the one stream or lump it.

Seems a lot of us have decided not to lump it and are going elsewhere this year

Hopefully they can live off the one and done demographic who know no better, otherwise it may well be a V-esque RIP. 

Yeah absolutely Benj, I probably 100% would have gone if it was the old set up, but the 2 'main' stage set up has totally destroyed the festival for me. 

The line up is w*nk, I literally cannot see any good in it. I'm doing Parklife festival this year instead for the obvious reason however apparently that is the worst festival in the UK so lol

For me, I don’t think even the majority of acts themselves are bad. I love Foals, The Killers and Billie, I’d be happy to see Fender. There’s some names I really like on the undercard too like Bicep (not sure about them playing in the daytime), Broco, Snuts, Rina, Sleep Token. 

It’s just the lack of choice that’s the kicker. Sacrificing a separate FR and Pit stage as well as the NME stage just so they can get Capaldi and Imagine Dragons in doesn’t seem like a straight swap to me. 

21 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

For me, I don’t think even the majority of acts themselves are bad. I love Foals, The Killers and Billie, I’d be happy to see Fender. There’s some names I really like on the undercard too like Bicep (not sure about them playing in the daytime), Broco, Snuts, Rina, Sleep Token. 

It’s just the lack of choice that’s the kicker. Sacrificing a separate FR and Pit stage as well as the NME stage just so they can get Capaldi and Imagine Dragons in doesn’t seem like a straight swap to me. 

Exactly. I don’t think the acts booked are bad as such.

It’s just that we now all know, with the current format, you have large hours of the day where nothing interests you, which was very rarely the case with 2 additional options.

The amount of regulars on here, of various durations, spewing it this year for the first time says it all. It’s not what’s been booked that’s the issue, it’s what’s not been booked

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theesundayroast said:

Echoing the others here in that it'll be my first time in a while making no appearance at all.

Glasto, Parklife and connect festival are all booked and I'll likely make an appearance at Latitude along with a couple of others but R&L really not hitting the mark for me at all this year.

Long time no speak, assuming you're going to Parklife for 1975? Might see you there 

23 minutes ago, Benj said:

The amount of regulars on here, of various durations, spewing it this year for the first time says it all. 

Certainly, this is the first year since I started going (even with family) that I've given it a swerve, the new set up has absolutely killed it for me, alongside what is a very mediocre lineup, and a relatively high price point.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Benj said:

The amount of regulars on here, of various durations, spewing it this year for the first time says it all. It’s not what’s been booked that’s the issue, it’s what’s not been booked

A good few of my mates that haven’t been in years are coming this time but it feels like a last hoorah at Leeds for us.

Some of our group haven’t been since the setup changed so they’re in for a right shock.

22 hours ago, D666N said:

Long time no speak, assuming you're going to Parklife for 1975? Might see you there 

Been a long time! Feel like I've seen the 1975 far too many times the last few years so thinking of splitting between them, nx worries and the prodigy. Feel like Little Simz, Fred again... and peggy gou are my main draws for the other day. 

14 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Been a long time! Feel like I've seen the 1975 far too many times the last few years so thinking of splitting between them, nx worries and the prodigy. Feel like Little Simz, Fred again... and peggy gou are my main draws for the other day. 

Wow. Actual choice 👍🏼

On 4/7/2023 at 7:34 PM, Andre91 said:

I'm heading to this as well. Booked my hotel and travel as soon as it was announced. Haven't done Leeds since 2015, its unrecognisable from the festival I attended for ten years.

Looks like I won’t be attending this year either, the last time I missed the festival was 2007! 
The disregard for the festivals musical roots, getting rid of the lock up, scrapping the NME tent and astronomical prices even though they’ve cut the line up by about 25% since they’ve introduced two main stages are the main reasons. 
Seems like tickets really aren’t selling that quickly this year either, I do worry about the future of the festival, it really is the new V fest now isn’t it? I think they’ve lost that hardcore group of fans that would attend every year no matter what, I remember there was a period where trying to get tickets was almost as hard as trying to get Glastonbury tickets! The TikTok demographic that they’re currently targeting will soon get bored and move on.