2023 Festival

TheWaters

53 minutes ago, Newjem said:

He will probably be the smallest headliner but still... this guy will most likely have a boxing match at Wembley stadium next year, most of his shows sold out in the past year including a date in Wembley Arena (and thats the same place MGK played a few days ago). Teenagers love him and he will have one of the biggest crowds unless they pair him with someone like Billie and half of the crowd will leave half through the show.

Having a boxing match is now a reason to Headline Reading!?!  SMH

Surprised Frank Bruno never got a main stage slot

Edited by Benj
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Sports Team’s upcoming UK tour has had some pretty serious venue downgrades. Southampton has gone down from the Guildhall (1750 cap) to The Loft (300 cap). That’s the same venue they played here in 2019, not good at all!

Oooof. Wonder how is popularity vs people willing to spend. I assume the looming recession will have an impact on ticket sales across all events.

7 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Sports Team’s upcoming UK tour has had some pretty serious venue downgrades. Southampton has gone down from the Guildhall (1750 cap) to The Loft (300 cap). That’s the same venue they played here in 2019, not good at all!

Am I not right in thinking that's the only downgrade though? Feel like they're one of those bands that's always seemed bigger than their chart placings suggests thanks to me and numerous others buying about 12 copies of their debut on vinyl. 

Roundhouse is a big downgrade from Brixton academy on their last tour to be fair and there's still standing tickets available for £20 there which is a very good price.

Have noticed that Fat Dog are supporting though, great band and urge that anyone go and watch Lou Smith's videos of them at the Windmill if they have the chance before tour.

8 hours ago, Benj said:

Oooof. Wonder how is popularity vs people willing to spend. I assume the looming recession will have an impact on ticket sales across all events.

Been a long time coming with gig prices.

Few that I’ve looked into buying just aren’t realistic anymore to purchase them all.. I used to go to at least a gig a month and regularly do arena and stadium gigs.. but now they add up to a mouth watering amount of money compared to 5-10 years ago.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

was looking at this - i think a big thing is the amount of similar acts on the road. Roundhouse has sports team, inhaler and cassia playing three nights in a row for instance - i'd consider going to all of them had they not been tues-thurs and i bet others would too.

51 minutes ago, gfa said:

was looking at this - i think a big thing is the amount of similar acts on the road. Roundhouse has sports team, inhaler and cassia playing three nights in a row for instance - i'd consider going to all of them had they not been tues-thurs and i bet others would too.

Even weirder in Southampton, we have Inhaler and Sports Team on the same night! Though ST was on sale for months before Inhaler announced.

1 hour ago, Newjem said:

It means he can sell tons of tickets for whatever he does.

Not questioning that, I’m asking if that is enough in this day and age to headline what was once a music festival?

Seems like it is👍🏼

53 minutes ago, gfa said:

They all need to make money, esp post COVID, bands will be touring themselves into the ground with no other way to make money these days

They should probably take up boxing. Bono’s lad vs bouncy front man for Sports Team. £10 quid PPV. Who’s in?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Benj said:

Not questioning that, I’m asking if that is enough in this day and age to headline what was once a music festival?

Seems like it is👍🏼

I said on the 2022 thread about 100 pages back that we are heading to a place where the headliners in 2025 will be an Instagram influencer, a YouTube vlogger, and a Tik Tok star. I was dragged and bemoaned because that was clearly nonsense, but then in 2023 we are getting KSI and the same people rally around it as justified because of the views.

Is this really justification "because he's a big name".

Are we going to have ladbaby and his sausage roll song? What about Jack Jones, or that chicken conessoiur kid? 

Edited by Chad888

KSI had a song chart at #30 seven years ago. This obsession with him being an "internet guy" is so weird, he's been releasing singles for longer than Sam Fender has for fuck's sake. 

No, I'm not into him at all, but I'm also not R&L's weekend ticket holder demographic either. He'll go down a treat and I'm sure they'll have a 2000s punk relic for us 30 year old boomers on MSE the same day to squeeze the ticket money out. 

14 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I said on the 2022 thread about 100 pages back that we are heading to a place where the headliners in 2025 will be an Instagram influencer, a YouTube vlogger, and a Tik Tok star. I was dragged and bemoaned because that was clearly nonsense, but then in 2023 we are getting KSI and the same people rally around it as justified because of the views.

Is this really justification "because he's a big name".

Are we going to have ladbaby and his sausage roll song? What about Jack Jones, or that chicken conessoiur kid? 

KSI is a serious artist though unlike them - see Joji as well.

There's two different types of youtubey artists. Could see lovejoy playing as well (group of minecraft youtubers)

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

KSI is a serious artist though unlike them - see Joji as well.

There's two different types of youtubey artists. Could see lovejoy playing as well (group of minecraft youtubers)

Was just about to use Joji as an example. 

Just because someone has found fame through an 'untraditional way' such as YouTube etc doesn't mean they can't be considered as serious artists. 

EDIT: fwiw KSI's new single is actually decent imo 

Edited by Lawsie

Poppy was also a Youtuber first and foremost and now everyone falls over themselves for her - as they should, she's awesome. Brockhampton were literally formed on the internet and they were the most interesting hip-hop group / boyband of the 2010s. Ghost are getting more and more of the traction they deserve thanks to Tiktok. 

Some people really are old men yelling at clouds. 

10 minutes ago, Lawsie said:

Was just about to use Joji as an example. 

Just because someone has found fame through an 'untraditional way' such as YouTube etc doesn't mean they can't be considered as serious artists. 

EDIT: fwiw KSI's new single is actually decent imo 

KSI is 0.001% as outrageous as Joji used to be as well. If Joji can do it, anyone can.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

KSI is 0.001% as outrageous as Joji used to be as well. If Joji can do it, anyone can.

I do find it hilarious that so many people who enjoy Joji's music have no idea what he used to get up to. Vomit and human hair cake is just the beginning. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

KSI had a song chart at #30 seven years ago. This obsession with him being an "internet guy" is so weird, he's been releasing singles for longer than Sam Fender has for fuck's sake. 

No, I'm not into him at all, but I'm also not R&L's weekend ticket holder demographic either. He'll go down a treat and I'm sure they'll have a 2000s punk relic for us 30 year old boomers on MSE the same day to squeeze the ticket money out. 

Yeah, I agree with you. He’s been putting music out for ages. People on here who don’t get it, it’s genuinely because you’re too old and that isn’t a slight on you at all because I put myself in that bracket too. It’s no exaggeration to say he’s one of the most famous people in the country for the youngsters. 

No issue with how people start their careers/ what else they do etc... only that if they're headlining a music festival they have the music of sufficient quality and quantity to do so.

Would KSI be headlining off his music alone?

23 minutes ago, Benj said:

No issue with how people start their careers/ what else they do etc... only that if they're headlining a music festival they have the music of sufficient quality and quantity to do so.

Would KSI be headlining off his music alone?

He had one of the biggest crowds excluding headliners in 2021

His latest single with Tom Grennan hit number 4 in the charts and I think he'll have a new album out before the festival