Live at Eurovision

FloorFiller

I feel very out of touch when I watch Eurovision. Me and my friends all ranked our top 3 of the night, and only 1/10 of us put Italy in there. The rest of us didn’t put any of the top 3.

Eurovision winners often make no sense to me but maybe I’m missing something. 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Just saw the result this morning. I reckon that even if John Lennon was alive and entered lmagine as the UK entry we still wouldn’t get any points. It’s always been political but even more so now. 

Yes it feels very much like a #NeverUK situation.

Then again, Spain, Germany did equally terrible. They don’t want to reward the major countries in Europe (aside from France).

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Just saw the result this morning. I reckon that even if John Lennon was alive and entered lmagine as the UK entry we still wouldn’t get any points. It’s always been political but even more so now. 

While thats true, the 2nd half of the points are done by the public. Eurovision is normally not about the song but the whole thing, production, dancers, music, its the show of the song more so than the song in itself. The UK entry was a bad song, lazy production that didn't feel anything like anything special and was one of the more forgettable performances of the night. 

• Upvote 1

Caught up with it on Sunday afternoon.

The voting system is a thing of beauty, an absolute masterstroke when they introduced the public vote a few years back. 

As for the UK, they should stop trying to formulate a Eurovision winner. The songs are written by committee with the intention of tapping into what the rest of Europe likes.

Then a few years back that Portuguese fella wins it with a gentle ballad and this year a Perry Farrell fronted Europe blogs it with a rock (ish) song. Just through in something mental and see how that goes. 

Definitely better when watching along on Twitter but at least I could fast forward all the shite they show while the voting is going on.

• Upvote 1

Agreed - think the UK needs to stop with its victim complex and actually send in something that's authentic and not trying "too hard to be Eurovision". 

Spain has not reached the Top 20 in 5 consecutive years, and Switzerland has failed to even qualify 11 out of the last 16 times. It's nothing personal, we just need to stop sending shite.

Also looking at the results a bit deeper, we came 13th/14th in a lot of counries' results. A country could be voted 13th by every single country and end up with nil point just because of the nature of the voting system. So yeah, sad for James, it is what it is i guess!

Edited by nban2010

36 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Caught up with it on Sunday afternoon.

The voting system is a thing of beauty, an absolute masterstroke when they introduced the public vote a few years back. 

As for the UK, they should stop trying to formulate a Eurovision winner. The songs are written by committee with the intention of tapping into what the rest of Europe likes.

Then a few years back that Portuguese fella wins it with a gentle ballad and this year a Perry Farrell fronted Europe blogs it with a rock (ish) song. Just through in something mental and see how that goes. 

Definitely better when watching along on Twitter but at least I could fast forward all the shite they show while the voting is going on.

Yep. I say next year we enter Napalm Death to do a 2022 version of Nazi Punks Fuck Off

• Upvote 1