Download 2023

28 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Of course, but I don't think the x2 part will make much of a different in sales, them playing once is the draw. You'd have to be incredibly deep in the Metallica snake pit to think "I'll only bother if they play twice". 

Yes but I imagine it’ll tempt people into weekend tickets instead of day tickets 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Double Metallica with BMTH finally playing again is the only reason I'm considering going so it's a huge draw for casuals I suspect. I've not had a weekend ticket since...'06 maybe?

With the double Metallica I honestly couldn't care who the 4th headliner is.

Would you really not go if it was Metallica once, BMTH and two other different headliners? 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Would you really not go if it was Metallica once, BMTH and two other different headliners? 

I don’t think I would be as excited by it no. 
Metallica have played Download since ‘06, I think 2012(?), and I didn’t bother going that time but the double slot has really peaked my interest in returning coupled with BMTH playing again. 
Typically each year I look at the line up and it’s just the same old duffers each year topping the bill, even spread throughout the line up, and I think to myself “Christ I saw the majority of them when I was a young un I can’t justify the money to go see all that again”. I know Metallica are very much the old duffers as well but to see two sets in one weekend just excites me and makes me feel, for me at least, it would be value for my money. Everything else is just a bonus. 
I think a lot of the older, casual metal heads will have the same viewpoint. I’m far more likely to have a day ticket for Reading/Leeds these days as despite my advancing years (heading towards 40) I’d rather go somewhere and see newer bands artists but a double Metallica slot really appeals to pull me back to Download.

5 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Metallica have played Download since ‘06, I think 2012(?), and I didn’t bother going that time but the double slot has really peaked my interest in returning coupled with BMTH playing again. 
Typically each year I look at the line up and it’s just the same old duffers each year topping the bill, even spread throughout the line up, and I think to myself “Christ I saw the majority of them when I was a young un I can’t justify the money to go see all that again”. I know Metallica are very much the old duffers as well but to see two sets in one weekend just excites me and makes me feel, for me at least, it would be value for my money. Everything else is just a bonus. 
I think a lot of the older, casual metal heads will have the same viewpoint. I’m far more likely to have a day ticket for Reading/Leeds these days as despite my advancing years (heading towards 40) I’d rather go somewhere and see newer bands artists but a double Metallica slot really appeals to pull me back to Download.

Yeah fair play, I've been the same with Leeds for years, they always seem to have that one day that appeals to me - which is them doing their job properly since there's no way the whole weekend would any more. 

I just think in a world where Metallica played once, that show along with 3 other full days of music and 3 different big headliners for the 20th anniversary would be enough to pull in the vast majority of weekenders. That's to say, I think the booking's been made because that's what Metallica are doing rather than Andy deciding to book them twice. It's gonna sell the most tickets since Download 2012 either way I'd say! 

If it was double Metallica but with there only being three days/them again instead of a third headliner then I could see why people would have a problem with it, but it’s a second Metallica show and extra date plus the usual third headliner so it’s an absolute win in my eyes and I’m sure most regular Download attendees will be all over it. I’ve never been to Download but that set of headliners would make me very much consider going for the first time. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If it was double Metallica but with there only being three days/them again instead of a third headliner then I could see why people would have a problem with it, but it’s a second Metallica show and extra date plus the usual third headliner so it’s an absolute win in my eyes and I’m sure most regular Download attendees will be all over it. I’ve never been to Download but that set of headliners would make me very much consider going for the first time. 

The issue is that the price is going way up to accommodate it, it's not really a "bonus" day. Tickets are already £310 and will go up again for general release so you're absolutely paying for a 4 day festival. Still a good shout if you like Metallica, a lot of us just hope there's actually alternatives available in case we don't fancy it. 

3 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Double Metallica with BMTH finally playing again is the only reason I'm considering going so it's a huge draw for casuals I suspect. I've not had a weekend ticket since...'06 maybe?

With the double Metallica I honestly couldn't care who the 4th headliner is.

Double Metallica is also a hit in this camp, the guarantee of different sets is an appeal for fans, and for me things like Download who's headlining is a deal breaker. I had zero interest in maiden and kiss but would happily pay to watch Metallica, slipknot and bring me at their own tours. 

Only been to Download once for the day but seriously considering going this year if it's Metallica, BMTH and Slipknot. That's enough to sell it to me already. A different 4th headliner would be way better in my eyes, especially with the ticket price going up to accommodate, but there are worse bands that could be doing 2 nights than Metallica.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Only ever been to the Pilot and I’m considering a whole weekend due to the rumoured headliners. Getting time off is my only issue. 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Many people won't want to have to pay the extra though just for a band that could play had it been 3. For me, it tells you something when you look at Reading now and if they still booked like they used to that they have more chance of securing Metallica than Download going by the most recent history. Also, given you've never been by now, I think it'll be one and done for you. Given the other festivals you seem to attend I'd be very surprised if it was high up there in your praise for a festival.

21 hours ago, metallimuse said:

With all due respect, if you haven't been to a weekend at download in 17 years, are you really the type of person copping gives a shit about? You're not much of a download fan and don't have much affiliation to the festival. i'd understand if you were a once every 2/3 years guy, but you've said you didnt even go in 2012 when metallica last played? so what is it you want from this festival? I've been every year since 2014 and first went in 2010 and personally i can see why metallica x2 is ok, though not what i would want. the fact is 4 days placates me, as if it was them twice in 3 days this would go down way more negatively than it being 4. 

I‘m sorry if this has been discussed but I don‘t come to this thread often: Why aren‘t RATM part of the rumor mill anymore? My understanding was they have a festival leg planned for early summer 2023 and I thought Download would be a given if they come over that part of the year.

Can someone bring me up to speed?

Edited by Karlos12345

1 hour ago, Jrose said:

With all due respect, if you haven't been to a weekend at download in 17 years, are you really the type of person copping gives a shit about? You're not much of a download fan and don't have much affiliation to the festival. i'd understand if you were a once every 2/3 years guy, but you've said you didnt even go in 2012 when metallica last played? so what is it you want from this festival? I've been every year since 2014 and first went in 2010 and personally i can see why metallica x2 is ok, though not what i would want. the fact is 4 days placates me, as if it was them twice in 3 days this would go down way more negatively than it being 4. 

Fair points but my perception would also ask you the same question, "are you really the type of person Copping gives a shit about?"

If you're going every year does he really want to do something special for the hardcore who are going anyway or does he want to make a booking that will entice fair-weather fans across and swell his numbers even further?

I may be wrong but I don't think Download has a particularly strong history of selling out tickets for the past decade does it?

Whether you like it or not personally, objectively, booking a double slot by Metallica will be a huge pull for a huge contingent that haven't been in a while such as myself.

What do I want from the festival?

Well despite my interest in coming back from 2 sets by a heritage act I would like to see the festival move forward and promote new headliners at the very least. Personally I think they should expand it's scope a bit and book rock acts of all creeds to play as it would prevent the same old bookings being repeated but I can understand the argument to keep it a metal fest so if you disagree with that then fine but the fact the Bring Me The Horizon still have not headlined is outrageous considering their size and tours. I look at the line up each year and am consistently disappointed by how little the festival has moved on. 

16 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

I‘m sorry if this has been discussed but I don‘t come to this thread often: Why aren‘t RATM part of the rumor mill anymore? My understanding was they have a festival leg planned for early summer 2023 and I thought Download would be a given if they come over that part of the year.

Because the only rumour with a decent source is Metallica x2, BMTH and Slipknot. If that rumour turns out to be untrue then basically every other band is in the running, but it's looking more and more likely. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

Would love RATM to be announced for Download.

I still haven’t got over the PTSD of them pulling out of Reading and being replaced by the 1975.

• Upvote 1

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

Would love RATM to be announced for Download.

I still haven’t got over the PTSD of them pulling out of Reading and being replaced by the 1975.

I can definitely see Ratm playing download, just in 2024. 

Does anyone think qotsa would go down well at download? Playing Germany the week after download, subbing Metallica? 

18 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

I can definitely see Ratm playing download, just in 2024. 

Does anyone think qotsa would go down well at download? Playing Germany the week after download, subbing Metallica? 

One of the best Download shows I've seen when they played 2013, but I'm a fan, so I would say that. Expect them headlining 2nd stage at Glasto next year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If QOTSA would be willing to take a sub slot again then I don’t see why they wouldn’t be booked again, but they aren’t gonna be booked to headline despite being the type of act Download should 100% be booking to headline when available. 

I think that time has come and gone. Download generally books massive acts to headline and queens are always one step below that. They were booked to play under Metallica and Muse in Europe last year before they cancelled the tour and didn't look out of place.