Camping at Worthy Farm

stuie

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually thought it would be sold out by now.

To be fair it it is a bit pricey for just a tent although we are happy to pay to be there in a special place and support the festival and local area and businesses. . Families who have their own camping gear and can get pitched up in regular camping sites for alot less per night might be put off by the price or just can’t afford it. A hotel or b&b for 3 nights can also cost less. People may also be waiting to see if they can go abroad to travel once the traffic light system allows more  holidays abroad. 
I think if they had allowed people to bring their own tents or campervans then it might be different but I can see why they have done it the way they have -to keep it limited and more safely manageable under the circumstances. 
I am looking forward to it and just hope the weather gods are smiling 😊 

16 hours ago, august1 said:

Too expensive and running for too many weeks?

I'd love to book a slot but the lack of anything between a 2 person Scout tent and a 4 person bell tent arguably makes it expensive (for us). We have DVB junior so it has to more than the 2 berth but I'm have an uphill struggle justifying the cost for the 4 person Bell tent (+ refund protection cover & parking etc) for 3 days. 

If there was a 4 person scout tent added somewhere in-between the two prices, that would make my life easier 😊

Having said that, I'm pleased there are still some slots left as I'm hopeful we might book at some point. I'd love a couple of days at the farm just wandering about.

35 minutes ago, sedra said:

To be fair it it is a bit pricey for just a tent although we are happy to pay to be there in a special place and support the festival and local area and businesses. . Families who have their own camping gear and can get pitched up in regular camping sites for alot less per night might be put off by the price or just can’t afford it. A hotel or b&b for 3 nights can also cost less. People may also be waiting to see if they can go abroad to travel once the traffic light system allows more  holidays abroad. 
I think if they had allowed people to bring their own tents or campervans then it might be different but I can see why they have done it the way they have -to keep it limited and more safely manageable under the circumstances. 
I am looking forward to it and just hope the weather gods are smiling 😊 

Yeah all makes sense. Basically why I'm not going for it - I can't really justify the cost for what it is. I did think it would sell out though. Maybe it still will.

Hope you have a lovely time! 

1 hour ago, sedra said:

I think if they had allowed people to bring their own tents or campervans then it might be different

This is my thoughts too (and beef with it), however we were already booked for next door at Ashcombe on the Glastonbury week for £19 a night with our motorhome including hook up.

Do we know if there are any parts of the site that will be get permission to wander round as we have done previous to covid? Will this whole camping area be fenced off etc?

Edited by Paul ™

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

This is my thoughts too (and beef with it), however we were already booked for next door at Ashcombe on the Glastonbury week for £19 a night with our motorhome including hook up.

Do we know if there are any parts of the site that will be get permission to wander round as we have done previous to covid? Will this whole camping area be fenced off etc?

I'd be surprised if we're allowed to wander about the areas not on the map. They may have turned a blind eye to people going for a walk in the past, but Park Home owners would not be happy to have a continual stream of visitors disturbing their livestock for all of August.

Pity, because I'd love to go to The Park off-season.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

This is my thoughts too (and beef with it), we are already booked for next door at Ashcombe on the Glastonbury week for £19 a night with our motorhome including hook up.

I’d imagine it would be fenced off as the mention wristbands … have you seen the map though ? It covers quite a large area … with some camping at stone circle and stuff all over site .. I think the line pre covid was to stick to the footpaths … although I know at times that might not have  played out … remembering it is a working farm 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d imagine it would be fenced off as the mention wristbands … have you seen the map though ? It covers quite a large area … with some camping at stone circle and stuff all over site .. I think the line pre covid was to stick to the footpaths … although I know at times that might not have  played out … remembering it is a working farm 

Yeah I've seen the map for this (and for the Sept event) and it certainly looks like most areas will be OOB then to anyone wanting to visit the farm as in previous years, which is a shame.
Yeah we all know the stick to paths rule, but as seen by the many photos on here and on Socials, that doesn't happen! 

I'd be surprised if they did fence off that whole area mind you, is there not any public footpaths that run through the site that get closed during normal festival time?

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yeah we all know the stick to paths rule, but as seen by the many photos on here and on Socials, that doesn't happen! 

It’s sensible that the actual rule gets posted though … as there are many people that read the forum for information and maybe don’t even have accounts and don’t know what’s what the rules are 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s sensible that the actual rule gets posted though … as there are many people that read the forum for information and maybe don’t even have accounts and don’t know what’s what the rules are 

Agreed.

Does anyone local know about any public footpaths/rights of way on the site?

Am sure when I worked there a long time ago, we had to get one closed off during build/break for safety, though that might have changed now, I am going back to the late 90's lol 

42 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Worthy pastures campers will have wristbands and car passes I understand. I think there is still no access to the farm as has been the case for a year now since Covid restrictions started. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Worthy pastures campers will have wristbands and car passes I understand. I think there is still no access to the farm as has been the case for a year now since Covid restrictions started. 

Yeah but if opening up the farm for this camping malarky, after what is meant to be 'all restrictions lifted' as some believe come 21st June, then surely it's safe enough to revert back to then being able to seekg permission to walk the paths on the farm?

Or as this is going to be a yearly thing, does that then put a stop on visiting with permission over the summer months that this is on?

Edited by Paul ™
Typo

3 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yeah but if opening up the farm for this camping malarky, after what is meant to be 'all restrictions lifted' as some believe come 21st June, then surely it's safe enough to revert back to then being able to seekg permission to walk the paths on the farm?

Or as this is going to be a yearly thing, does that then put a stop on visiting with permission over the summer months that this is on?

June will be when the site is being prepared for the camping and I can’t see them allowing access. Probably won’t return to normal until next year. The camping is for this year only. 

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The camping is for this year only. 

I was under the impression it was a yearly thing

Glastonbury Festival Events Ltd has submitted an application to Mendip District Council for planning permission for a change of use from agricultural land to "a family focused temporary campsite for 56 days in summer 2021 and 28 days in subsequent years".

The pre-erected tents tipped it in favour of booking. I have my festival tents but I don’t like the faff of pitching a tent with the family around. I not a fan of camping holidays with the family - we tent to go for glamping pods etc so this was a good fit.
It’s attraction (for me) is that it’s different to a run of the mill family campsite and a B&B. You can do those things anytime. This is a first. 

Plenty of time for ordinary tent camping at Kendal Calling, Wilderness, Green Man and End of the Road this year 🎉

Edited by March Hare

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks, Never realised that. , yet the Worthy pastures website says for one year only. Contradicting info. 

Yeah I noticed that too, guess it was easier to put in for multiple years licence and then run it this year as a one off to see how it goes, and if success then repeat.
Though I'd suspect it will be an August only thing in future years, obviously due to the festival breakdown taking most of July.

Though wouldn't be fun after a really muddy one 😆

Edited by Paul ™

I'm pretty sure that while the permission is granted for every year, this is going to be a one time thing or maybe fallow years at the absolute most.

They'll have added the "28 days in subsequent years" purely because they can as the law makes provision for it - getting that permission confirmed now doesn't cost them anything extra, and gives them more flexibility for the future if they do decide to do something again.

By the same token, the proposed licence for the September event is also perpetual (and not limited to September in future years), albeit with a "not in the same year as the regular festival" clause.

18 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Agreed.

Does anyone local know about any public footpaths/rights of way on the site?

Am sure when I worked there a long time ago, we had to get one closed off during build/break for safety, though that might have changed now, I am going back to the late 90's lol 

81A14177-FDA7-498A-BC30-6259ABBB6717.thumb.jpeg.df02a72a6ddfc33352a92baec05e3f8b.jpeg

Only  footpaths are those shown in solid red. So apart from the path that comes down from Pylle Road there’s none that cross Worthy Farm land 

3 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Looks like Shambala are getting in on the act but with live music to boot. Looks good for those who want to take their own tent too

6FD78985-552B-45B5-BED8-FA89DE43AF31.jpeg

I was just looking at this as an option to do with our friends and their kids. For me it's a much better option as cheaper and can bring own tent - plus it's a lot closer t me. And sounds like a bit more going on entertainment wise. Really tempted.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I was just looking at this as an option to do with our friends and their kids. For me it's a much better option as cheaper and can bring own tent - plus it's a lot closer t me. And sounds like a bit more going on entertainment wise. Really tempted.

Shame they are not doing it on the august bank holiday, I could have been tempted then as it’s less of a hit on my annual leave

11 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Looks like Shambala are getting in on the act but with live music to boot. Looks good for those who want to take their own tent too

I heard some fairly positive reports of the similar thing they ran last summer. Sounds like this is just adding to that slightly and making it a shade less distancing based.

Obviously it's not a festival, or a substitute for one, but could be a pretty decent option for someone who wants a relaxed break.

16 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I think Glastonbury… might have some surprises yet to be announced … smaller scale stuff …. Maybe some performing arts stuff rather than music ? 

• Upvote 1