news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Wondering if we will see some changes to CGT on Thursday - increasing the percentage paid, or reducing the tax free allowance (or both) would probably lead to a lot of people selling off assets before April next year in order to make use of current rates which would generate some nice income for the government. 

Also maybe finally some decent changes to how pension tax relief is applied, but I won't hold my breath on that one, too politically sensitive. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

or the efestivals politics thread.

Twitter is the easiest and clearest way of sharing news and opinions.

Me and you Stevie provide the good folks here with a lot of news and opinion so you are right this thread is a good place to get up to date info.

We provide a public service. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Me and you Stevie provide the good folks here with a lot of news and opinion so you are right this thread is a good place to get up to date info.

We provide a public service. 

Others of us are capable of following the news without your help 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

He was specifically at fault in many cases according to those directly involved. 

On dodgy procurement 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Ppe and ventilators 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-matt-hancock-health-secretary-dominic-raab-b941036.html?amp

The forty million quid for the pal he had a photo of

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/01/matt-hancock-says-labours-covid-contract-claims-rubbish

Let alone imposing regulations that prevented folks visiting dying relates whilst he gave a job to an old pal, then had an affair with her breaching those regs, during the working day and in a building we pay for. First thing they did when it was leaked? Conduct a witch hunt and try to force the scum to reveal their source - for once I was glad they won. 

Those regulations were not just put through by him, they were supported by many cross party. The health secretary serves the PM and can be removed at any time if he/she chooses. I guess one question to ask is if Hunt, Javid or another had been health secretary would we have tackled things in a significantly different way and ended up with significantly different outcomes. My guess is probably not.

This is not me defending Hancock, but more I think people may have exaggerated his role and influence. If people want to watch him in a jungle fine, if people don't then protest by not watching. Those who think they are punishing him by making him do trials (which in general he is unphased about) are raising his profile and not harming him.

3 hours ago, cellar said:

Wondering if we will see some changes to CGT on Thursday - increasing the percentage paid, or reducing the tax free allowance (or both) would probably lead to a lot of people selling off assets before April next year in order to make use of current rates which would generate some nice income for the government. 

Also maybe finally some decent changes to how pension tax relief is applied, but I won't hold my breath on that one, too politically sensitive. 

Would be great and long overdue, but think any changes will be minimal. I heard rumblings of halving the annual exemption amount but I would go further and remove the preferential tax rates for gains and dividends altogether and bring it into line with the income tax brackets. I would also bring dividends and gains within the scope of NIC. Not only would it generate an awful lot of additional revenue, it would greatly simplify the tax system. Will never happen under a Tory government as it would directly impact their voter base.

Meanwhile, the Labour right have been organising to deselect widely liked Ian Byrne, MP of the year, backed by Burnham and Steve Rotheram along with basically every single union.

Now they’re going as far as harrassing him as he campaigns.

Earlier complaints around the legitimacy around the process for the initial trigger ballot have been ignored by Labour HQ.

Trumpian stuff from Labour.

5FF810AB-5368-4130-83AE-587BF9730909.jpeg

5626549D-A4AF-4183-B9B0-731BC7C9C927.jpeg

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Meanwhile, the Labour right have been organising to deselect widely liked Ian Byrne, MP of the year, backed by Burnham and Steve Rotheram along with basically every single union.

Earlier complaints around the legitimacy around the process for the initial trigger ballot have been ignored by Labour HQ.

Yah

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Out of interest do you know it's true just because he said it is? Have Burnham and Rotherham confirmed the story? Have the local politicians had their say?

That's not me saying it's not true (how would I know) but I am wary of just assuming something is true because it was on social media.

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Those regulations were not just put through by him, they were supported by many cross party. The health secretary serves the PM and can be removed at any time if he/she chooses. I guess one question to ask is if Hunt, Javid or another had been health secretary would we have tackled things in a significantly different way and ended up with significantly different outcomes. My guess is probably not.

This is not me defending Hancock, but more I think people may have exaggerated his role and influence. If people want to watch him in a jungle fine, if people don't then protest by not watching. Those who think they are punishing him by making him do trials (which in general he is unphased about) are raising his profile and not harming him.

Did you look at any of those links? 

They're all things where he was explicitly cited as being involved - not management by committee or some other wishy washy bollocks. 

35 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Did you look at any of those links? 

They're all things where he was explicitly cited as being involved - not management by committee or some other wishy washy bollocks. 

Of course things like procurement and ordering PPE are management by committee. Do you really think because Hancock is health secretary he has the expertise to do this. There will be a whole host of civil servants, advisors etc involved in these types of things. Of course he is the figurehead, but to think he was doing everything in isolation is silly.

In terms of procurement I have no doubt friends of him and other Tory MPs benefited. This to me is more  Torys being torys than any judgement on job effectiveness. My point stands that I think whoever was the Tory health secretary would have probably made very similar judgements leading to very similar outcomes. I support labour but have no doubt a labour health secretary would have probably made mistakes as well. Another key point is that PM Boris could have removed him at any time if not happy with the job he was doing.