news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, charlierc said:

My first instinct after the US midterms as the results become slightly clearer is that 2024 could well be Biden v DeSantis. I still think it's possible a Democrat challenger could nick it, but given Biden seems to be in a better place than many expected, that feels like a trickier job for an internal opponent to pull off.

The fact DeSantis demolished his Democrat opponent in Florida, which seems to be the only place where a red wave happened, means I think he has to now be at the front of the queue for their Presidential pick. Much as Trump doesn't exactly seem enthusiastic at the idea he might now be the Republican's second choice to try and win back the White House.

I have no idea about this DeSantis guy...he seems to be big on the culture war stuff, but at same time more a normal traditional conservative Republican and less of a populist dick like Trump. One big advantage I guess he could have is he's younger, all shiny and new, but at same time not sure his anti woke pro abortion thing would win him the presidency, but maybe he'd dial that down a bit. Trump had a bad week, but he still has a massive following, be interesting to see what he does next.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

That's so 2009.

People get annoyed when are their discussions and when Tweets are posted. The regulars in this thread can’t win either way 😉

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I have no idea about this DeSantis guy...he seems to be big on the culture war stuff, but at same time more a normal traditional conservative Republican and less of a populist dick like Trump. One big advantage I guess he could have is he's younger, all shiny and new, but at same time not sure his anti woke pro abortion thing would win him the presidency, but maybe he'd dial that down a bit. Trump had a bad week, but he still has a massive following, be interesting to see what he does next.

I knew a little bit of DeSantis as he gets a lot of mocking on the US satirical shows I watch. Though I spotted Littlejohn in the Daily Mail was hailing him as a conservative ideology superstar, which might answer a few questions.

I think one word there is the wrong one - DeSantis appears to be anti-abortion judging by a quick tired Google on the matter. But we've noted these measures didn't fly well in the ballots, to the point where separate anti-abortion measures put to voters in generally red states like Kentucky and Montana were rejected. So it could be a harder sell, even if it clearly incentivises some people to turn up otherwise we never would have had an anti-Roe v Wade Supreme Court.

The Republican primaries at the start of 2024 promise to be quite the bout if DeSantis can keep up his momentum and Trump still has a large fanbase that want him to win at all costs.

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

I knew a little bit of DeSantis as he gets a lot of mocking on the US satirical shows I watch. Though I spotted Littlejohn in the Daily Mail was hailing him as a conservative ideology superstar, which might answer a few questions.

I think one word there is the wrong one - DeSantis appears to be anti-abortion judging by a quick tired Google on the matter. But we've noted these measures didn't fly well in the ballots, to the point where separate anti-abortion measures put to voters in generally red states like Kentucky and Montana were rejected. So it could be a harder sell, even if it clearly incentivises some people to turn up otherwise we never would have had an anti-Roe v Wade Supreme Court.

The Republican primaries at the start of 2024 promise to be quite the bout if DeSantis can keep up his momentum and Trump still has a large fanbase that want him to win at all costs.

Yeah, I meant anti abortion...get confused with antis and pros and things.

I personally don't care either way whether Hancock is in the jungle. However the narrative from some seems to be that he is responsible for every decision that was made. While he may have been the front man, the post of health secretary doesn't give you exclusive power for health, just as chancellor doesn't give you exclusive power over finance. 

I'm by no means a fan of Hancock, but I feel it's unfair to hold him responsible for everything that went wrong.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I personally don't care either way whether Hancock is in the jungle. However the narrative from some seems to be that he is responsible for every decision that was made. While he may have been the front man, the post of health secretary doesn't give you exclusive power for health, just as chancellor doesn't give you exclusive power over finance. 

I'm by no means a fan of Hancock, but I feel it's unfair to hold him responsible for everything that went wrong.

yeah, of course he isn't...but at same time it seems like he is using his infamy from the pandemic and his affair etc to become a celebrity and earn some extra dosh. 

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

£35bn of spending cuts and £25bn of tax rises. No alternative apparently.

All because of Liz Truss and her Tory government, that shouldn’t be forgotten. They can’t get away with that. 

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, of course he isn't...but at same time it seems like he is using his infamy from the pandemic and his affair etc to become a celebrity and earn some extra dosh. 

Noticing a lot of praise for him on social media comments. People who watch shite reality TV are more likely to be in the Tory demographic.

Seems like it’s been endorsed by the Tory party to boost Hancocks public image. That will explain why he wasn’t suspended from the party for taking part.

If he ends up winning it I’d put bets on him becoming the next Tory leader after Sunak.

Household name recognition was enough for Spaffer to make his bid for the job. 

Hopefully it will come out in the enquiry firstly who's decision it was to empty oldies with covid in hospital straight back into nursing homes and who decided to suspend cancer screening and the like. Hancock, Sage or NHS managers, who ever it was shouldn't have a career in that area anymore.

Edited by lost

"There have been more than 42,000 care home resident deaths involving coronavirus in England and Wales according to the Office for National Statistics. The Care Quality Commission is expected to release data on deaths per care home this week.

Mr Hancock told a Downing Street press conference in May 2020 that every resident and care home worker would be tested every two weeks by the start of June. However, this promise rested on having sufficient capacity for rapid test kits, which officials said would not be available for several months at meetings in April, May, and June.

However, the former health secretary, who is still an MP, repeatedly told officials to “come back with a different answer” when they said a supply crunch made the government’s commitment impossible to fulfill."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-test-care-home-hancock-b1885500.html

1 hour ago, lost said:

Hopefully it will come out in the enquiry firstly who's decision it was to empty oldies with covid in hospital straight back into nursing homes

that wasn't happening wholesale: my mother was stuck in hospital having caught covid in hospital was a real pain trying to get them to release her.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

He was specifically at fault in many cases according to those directly involved. 

On dodgy procurement 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Ppe and ventilators 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-matt-hancock-health-secretary-dominic-raab-b941036.html?amp

The forty million quid for the pal he had a photo of

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/01/matt-hancock-says-labours-covid-contract-claims-rubbish

Let alone imposing regulations that prevented folks visiting dying relates whilst he gave a job to an old pal, then had an affair with her breaching those regs, during the working day and in a building we pay for. First thing they did when it was leaked? Conduct a witch hunt and try to force the scum to reveal their source - for once I was glad they won.