news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Bloody hope not. She's openly transphobic

Don't think she's said anything Starmer hasn't now come out and said? 

11 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Its not just trans people who disagree, it's the entire queer community. Labour are not welcome at Pride.

Also not welcome at Pride (or Labour conference) are the lesbians and feminists trying to protect single sex spaces. Your entire queer community excludes those who don't agree with you

Not going to pretend I know much about the whole trans self id debate, but being a centrist dad I'm kind of sitting on the fence as see both sides of the argument, and that is kind of where Labour are trying to be I guess. Not easy as it has turned into a culture war issue and compromise seems impossible in culture wars. It is complex and nuanced and compromises need to be made that will piss off everyone.

46 minutes ago, lost said:

Don't think she's said anything Starmer hasn't now come out and said? 

Duffield has dead named Eddie 'Suzie' Izzard several times and still refers to her as 'him', so im going with her being a transphobe

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Duffield has dead named Eddie 'Suzie' Izzard several times and still refers to her as 'him', so im going with her being a transphobe

They said they don’t mind being called Eddie, it’s still their name on twitter Iol. Also said they don’t mind he/him

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/eddie-izzard-clears-up-her-pronouns-and-says-no-one-can-really-get-it-wrong-12894815

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I’m not going to get in to who (and who isn’t) a transphobe. However what has really struck me with Duffield is how unkind she can be at times.

I think it’s a debate where you should be able to have different views, at the same time understanding you are talking about a group containing some very vulnerable people.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m not going to get in to who (and who isn’t) a transphobe. However what has really struck me with Duffield is how unkind she can be at times.

I think it’s a debate where you should be able to have different views, at the same time understanding you are talking about a group containing some very vulnerable people.

If anything at times it feels like Duffield is more at home in the Tories given how critical she’s been of the Labour Party at times. 

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree with most about what you say about the problem. I’m not sure the solution you have is workable with the electorate and media we have, not the one you would like there to be. I am not convinced there are a mass of people looking for sensible solutions to nuanced issues. If we are talking about these nuanced issues a week before the election we are playing in to the conservatives hands.

Either the electorate don't give many shits and a vulnerable minority should be left alone, or the electorate do give shits, and it's the duty of the Labour party to protect them. 

The solution is not to give into hatred and dog-whistles and join in the persecution.

4 hours ago, lazyred said:

Also not welcome at Pride (or Labour conference) are the lesbians and feminists trying to protect single sex spaces. Your entire queer community excludes those who don't agree with you

The queer community rejects those who try and take away basic rights.

Lesbian rights are under attack by the transphobes. Have you seen the nonsense about lesbian partners' that aren't the birth mother should lose their parental rights?

14 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The Tories didn’t enact no fault evictions though, he’s conveniently missed that part out. 

Theoretically, they're going to be removed this year. Landlords are getting their little sob stories in across the media:

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

My heart bleeds for Andrew!

Rental market is a total joke in this country. 

57 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Aww, diddums to the man.

Maybe he can try losing money on someone else's mortgage instead of his own. See how he likes that.

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Shame the Tories scrapped housing targets, more houses built would help renters in the long run (amongst other things).

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think Labour are gonna fix that. They'll cave to the nimbys in a flash. Would be pleasantly shocked if i am wrong.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

The queer community rejects those who try and take away basic rights.

Lesbian rights are under attack by the transphobes. Have you seen the nonsense about lesbian partners' that aren't the birth mother should lose their parental rights?

It would seem lesbian rights are under attack from all sides. 

Defining queer by feelings and beliefs excluding sex based attraction is similar to the gender / sex debate

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

It would seem lesbian rights are under attack from all sides. 

Defining queer by feelings and beliefs excluding sex based attraction is similar to the gender / sex debate

Queer is a helpful word - and a reclaimed slur - that is inclusive of bisexuality and gender issues.

Frankly, I think gender issues and sexuality should be more distinct and separate, but the attacks on non-hetero people have the same nature as the attacks on gender-non-conforming people.