news & politics:discussion

zahidf

and also Crazyfool...any EU rejoining is just going to be distraction. Climate change is going to be the issue whether Telegraph, Spectator and GB News like it or not. I actually think we are mega f**ked, but you know, we must stay positive etc.

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

and also Crazyfool...any EU rejoining is just going to be distraction. Climate change is going to be the issue whether Telegraph, Spectator and GB News like it or not. I actually think we are mega f**ked, but you know, we must stay positive etc.

No one here seemed that bothered when Sunak started hinting at rowing back on climate policies…

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I agree on the f**ked thing ... it's horrendous .... glad in many ways I don't have kids .... just nieces and nephews but feel sorry for them 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

No one here seemed that bothered when Sunak started hinting at rowing back on climate policies…

errr...not really the point....but well, he's not bothered, but also he's going off their own polling or whatever.

Labour are doing the same.

The next election will not be fought on who is the most green. Labour could fight it on how green crap will grow the economy and create jobs, but it won't be on some abstract saving the planet just stop oil thing. 

That's why I think we're f**ked. Human greed will f**k us. We are ingenious, and greedy...but I think the short term greed will win out.

And actually won't be so bad. We'll just install air conditioning and have Glastonbury in January. 

Edited by steviewevie

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

As we’ve been through this many times, just because polling shows a clear majority want to rejoin the EU that doesn’t mean that parties will go for that.

opens a can of worms thats good for no party.

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I agree on the f**ked thing ... it's horrendous .... glad in many ways I don't have kids .... just nieces and nephews but feel sorry for them 

maybe the climate changing will kind of force us to realise we need to trade more within our own continent and we aren't actually a pacific island. I'm with you in that i was gutted with that EU vote, just felt a step back...but EU isn't perfect, it is a kind of capitalist neo-lib club, just for me felt like something positive after centuries of war.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

errr...not really the point....but well, he's not bothered, but also he's going off their own polling or whatever.

Labour are doing the same.

The next election will not be fought on who is the most green. Labour could fight it on how green crap will grow the economy and create jobs, but it won't be on some abstract saving the planet just stop oil thing. 

That's why I think we're f**ked. Human greed will f**k us. We are ingenious, and greedy...but I think the short term greed will win out.

And actually won't be so bad. We'll just install air conditioning and have Glastonbury in January. 

It seems pretty clear that Sunak isn’t bothered by climate change issues, you just have to see recent news briefings for that. We are f**ked unless we get a government in that can put strong green policies in place and push for other countries to do the same.

It’s consistent one of the top issues for people when polled and we have a party that has decent green policies and will stop new oil/gas licenses being given but that party finds it hard to get into government because they are held to higher standards than the others. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It seems pretty clear that Sunak isn’t bothered by climate change issues, you just have to see recent news briefings for that. We are f**ked unless we get a government in that can put strong green policies in place and push for other countries to do the same.

It’s consistent one of the top issues for people when polled and we have a party that has decent green policies and will stop new oil/gas licenses being given but that party finds it hard to get into government because they are held to higher standards than the others. 

yeah...in the end this. If you actually care about this issue then labour are the best chance. Vote green if you want, but in the end it is either labour or conservative who will be in government, and we haven't got time to f**k around.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

For sure .. bigger and bigger impact and will likely help the Lib Dem’s though … they need to grow a pair of balls and talk about it for what it is and the damage it’s doing … maybe one for the election after once more and more damage has been inflicted 

Yeah I agree. It's not a relevant thing to pursue until the following election.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:41 PM, fraybentos1 said:

It goes a little something like this:

Labour have a policy on X and starmer says this.

Then ozanne posts a tweet in here and says how great it is that Labour and starmer are doing X 

Couple weeks later Labour and Starmer change to the opposite point of view

Then ozanne comes back on here and posts a few tweets and posts saying Labour and starmer are spot on.

Then followed by a tantrum and calling other people tories. 

What happens when we get a hung parliament? That's what Labour wanted all along, quote me

4 hours ago, cellar said:

What happens when we get a hung parliament? That's what Labour wanted all along, quote me

I’d like a hung Parliament tbh, with starmer’s illiberal instincts curtailed a little by the Lib Dem’s. Outside chance of electoral reform etc. 

Don’t get why you’re saying Labour want a hung parly?

I wonder if certain people in here will ever critique the Tories horrendous policies on the (supposedly) really important issues like climate change and immigration? Or just go on about Labour who aren’t in government? I think we all know the answer, but stay tuned to find out. 

4 hours ago, cellar said:

hung parliament no one gets anything of what they want.

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder if certain people in here will ever critique the Tories horrendous policies on the (supposedly) really important issues like climate change and immigration? Or just go on about Labour who aren’t in government? I think we all know the answer, but stay tuned to find out. 

🤔