news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

No, if you win an election you win an election, not really anything to do with default. 

Indeed. Johnson win the election because of Brexit and the unpopularity of Corbyn. I used to think he was massively popular but I have seen some pieces say he wasn’t actually as popular as some think. 

Boris is a total c**t but no doubt in my mind that he won that election because people were voting for him and Brexit. Yes there was an anti Corbyn element but given the landslide... that was for Boris.

Thing is, they don't have another Boris in the bag. Which is why I could just about see him coming back. Would depend how he polls these days.

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Boris is a total c**t but no doubt in my mind that he won that election because people were voting for him and Brexit. Yes there was an anti Corbyn element but given the landslide... that was for Boris.

Thing is, they don't have another Boris in the bag. Which is why I could just about see him coming back. Would depend how he polls these days.

Pretty poorly in the country, he was very unpopular and still is (although not as bad as Truss!)

However you can never ever count Johnson out. 

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

there was a corbyn factor, in that tory voters who didn't like brexit or particularly like Johnson stuck with tory because they still preferred that to corbyn, and labour brexiters were also put off by corbyn as well as obviously liking Boris and his Brexit boosterism.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

there was a corbyn factor, in that tory voters who didn't like brexit or particularly like Johnson stuck with tory because they still preferred that to corbyn, and labour brexiters were also put off by corbyn as well as obviously liking Boris and his Brexit boosterism.

abour's brexit policy was a crock of shit,plus, very poorly presented by corbyn.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

here's the brexit bonus (not really).

Trade from UK to EU 16% lower than if Brexit had not happened, report finds

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/20/trade-from-uk-to-eu-16-lower-than-if-brexit-had-not-happened-report-finds

yeah, dumbest idea ever...weakened us in so many ways...and now we're just left with chaos...

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah it was a factor. But given the numbers I don't think we can discount the popularity of Boris. I remember expecting a hung parliament and being pretty shocked by the result.

47 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Waw just looking back through the last 10 years of chancellors as felt like I'd forgotten one. Philip Hammond! Whatever happened to him?

I was doing a similar thing earlier and it occurred to me that since Glastonbury we've had 4 chancellors, 3 home secretaries and we're on the verge of a 3rd PM... madness. If it was a recruitment agency filling these posts you'd sack them off for being so shit.      

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

and Johnson conned the country with his get brexit done oven ready bollocks.

Whoa whoa whoa. I was told that was all done and dusted; are you telling me that wasn’t completely accurate!?

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it was a factor. But given the numbers I don't think we can discount the popularity of Boris. I remember expecting a hung parliament and being pretty shocked by the result.

yeah, he was popular, and is a good campaigner and speaker.

Corbyn's ratings were through the floor in 2019.

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Indeed. Johnson win the election because of Brexit and the unpopularity of Corbyn. I used to think he was massively popular but I have seen some pieces say he wasn’t actually as popular as some think. 

After failing to get Corbyn removed by 4 years of mud casting, working against him, the then shadow brexit secretary along with right wing allies worked to get a vote on a second referendum passed in the Labour conference in September 2019.

A snap election was called a month later.

The strapline ’get brexit done’ echoed around the nation for the next couple of months and the rest was history.

That same shadow brexit secretary then got elected as Labour leader on a left wing platform with the backing of the right of the party. A weird combo. Why would people on the right back a guy on a left wing platform? For unity’s sake apparently. Only, evidence has shown that unity was almost the very last thing on their minds, the very last thing being a left wing policy program.

Thats the reality. Deceive yourself if you wish.