Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

Bruce Springsteen is about as middle of the road ploddy nonsense as the human mind can imagine.

I've tried, loads of times, with early/late/mid period/hits/b-sides, having been specifically recommended by mates who love him - 'oh you'll love The River! listen to this track! lemme make you a playlist!' - and its all just so lumpen and uninteresting. My first thought upon him coming onstage with Paul McCartney (a Beatle, ffs!) was ugh, now i bet he plays some nonsense of his and everyone will go mad - and i was 100% right, he did play some interminable rubbish and everyone did indeed go crazy for it.

He's staggeringly overrated and i wouldnt pay a fiver to go and see him. i read the Springsteen tour thread with a kind of curious detached interest - look at what these people are excited by! ffs, am i wrong, or is everyone else? 

Edited by balti-pie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Bruce Springsteen is about as middle of the road ploddy nonsense as the human mind can imagine.

I've tried, loads of times, with early/late/mid period/hits/b-sides, having been specifically recommended by mates who love him - 'oh you'll love The River! listen to this track! lemme make you a playlist!' - and its all just so lumpen and uninteresting. My first thought upon him coming onstage with Paul McCartney (a Beatle, ffs!) was ugh, now i bet he plays some nonsense of his and everyone will go mad - and i was 100% right, he did play some interminable rubbish and everyone did indeed go crazy for it.

He's staggeringly overrated and i wouldnt pay a fiver to go and see him. i read the Springsteen tour thread with a kind of curious detached interest - look at what these people are excited by! ffs, am i wrong, or is everyone else? 

2 hours ago, Green Croc said:

The only interesting thing is Silvio Dante on guitar 😀 I appreciate this probably makes me an artless heathen, but if that’s my role then I’m right up for it 👍 it’s just great swathes of bland 

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The only interesting thing is Silvio Dante on guitar 😀 I appreciate this probably makes me an artless heathen, but if that’s my role then I’m right up for it 👍 it’s just great swathes of bland 

I mean, you're wrong, so very, very wrong but it's a valid opinion. One of my musical regrets in life was being put off him for so long by the songs Born In The USA and Dancing in The Dark. Once I finally started delving deeper it was apparent I'd cocked up.

But as you've said, you've tried so he's clearly not for you. 

21 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I mean, you're wrong, so very, very wrong but it's a valid opinion. One of my musical regrets in life was being put off him for so long by the songs Born In The USA and Dancing in The Dark.

Serious? Dancing in the Dark is one of my favourite songs of all time

Just now, Green Croc said:

Fair play each to their own. What are your favourites?

Now there's a question. 

Thunder Road, Jungleland, The Rising, Brilliant Disguise, Darkness, Racing, Land of Hope and Dreams....

I could go on!

28 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Now there's a question. 

Thunder Road, Jungleland, The Rising, Brilliant Disguise, Darkness, Racing, Land of Hope and Dreams....

I could go on!

Streets of Philadelphia is massively underrated 

On 7/27/2022 at 1:54 PM, blutarsky said:

I’m the same, I was just being abrasive. 
Thinking of full albums I’ve listened to recently and which track has been my favourite the one that immediately springs to mind is Wet Dream from Wet Leg, which isn’t the biggest hit, albeit it was still a single. 

Anyway, I was just being abrasive for the sake of it! 😬 

Don't be daft, their big hit is their best song.  

5 hours ago, balti-pie said:

You are very right.  He seems like a nice bloke and all, but so dreary.

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:39 PM, moogster said:

Am wondering if anyone her finds the Beatles overrated. As in I understand their importance in the history of (British) music, great songwriting but... Maybe a little too much on a pedestal?

Given that they're generally rated as the best band of all time, by definition if you think they're the second best band of all time then they are overrated!

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Hot Chip version is miles better than the original though 

*Checks still in the controversial opinions thread*

Don Estelle and his dodgy disco mates are shite, the only thing they could do that would make anything better is fuck off.