U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Is the Orange one going to take the stand? 

If not there’s not really much point watching. There’s going to be overwhelming evidence showing that he incited the attempted coup and the Republicans are going to vote to acquit regardless. 

The only entertainment will come from him making an arse of himself on TV. 

33 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Is the Orange one going to take the stand? 

If not there’s not really much point watching. There’s going to be overwhelming evidence showing that he incited the attempted coup and the Republicans are going to vote to acquit regardless. 

The only entertainment will come from him making an arse of himself on TV. 

We gotta get to the part where we find out if witnesses will be allowed. He can be subpoenaed and will have to show.

here is the full video of what dems showed.

15 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

here is the full video of what dems showed

That’s pretty damming footage. How anyone with a shred of decency can still support Trump after seeing that is surprising. 

I still don’t think enough Republicans will grow a spine and go against Trump though. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s pretty damming footage. How anyone with a shred of decency can still support Trump after seeing that is surprising. 

I still don’t think enough Republicans will grow a spine and go against Trump though. 

Wont matter in the end when they have a separate vote to remove his ability to run for office again. If we get witnesses and a mountain of testimony during this trial, plus call out senators and such its going to be plenty of damage control against them as it is. Itll show who was comfortable in all of this. Interesting thing is only 11 senators objected to the rules vote and Lindsay Graham wasnt one of them. GOP is gonna learn how their own manipulations are going to come back and haunt them right now. 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, Gilgamesh69 said:

Right, ima continue where I left off. So you all seem to think I cant criticise Biden, because either the criticism has to meet some arbitrary standards or some rubbish. So instead i'll flip the question and ask: what's so good about Biden then, that makes you all so keen to jump to his defence?

I honestly believe that far too many people have fallen for extreme anti-trump sentiment. Trump is terrible, I won't deny that... but I mean fucking hell, i've seen people compare him him to Hitler and call him a dictator. "I'm happy to finally see the end of his facist dictatorship" is a recent quote from a friend of mine. Now the problem with this is that it tries to turn things into a very black-and-white issue, and people like to see the Dems as good guys and the Reps as bad guys. So when the Dems win, it's all "hurray, the good guys have won!" and many just see it as an end, rather than another step.

I think you can criticise him, for sure. 

I mean, he another old white dude, man. He represents a lot of what’s wrong with US two party politics. The Dems are the left’s only choice and they aren’t a left wing party, but slightly left leaning centrists, and sometimes they’re not even slightly left of centre. 

However, Biden represents opposition to Trump, and was the only option for anyone who is anti-Trump. In that context people became invested in him and he seems to have become somewhat mythologised as a saviour figure. 

I think it’s understandable because Trump genuinely threatened the republic. The comparisons to Hitler don’t really stand up as Trump isn’t ideologically motivated in the way Hitler was, but his motivation of self-interest and his propensity for ignoring convention meant he acted in ways which were totalitarian. He denied the outcome of a democratic election and fostered an extremist base which he encouraged to attempt a coup. That statement may seem like an exaggeration to some, but only because it didn’t come to pass. 

In light of all this, some people who don’t think in too nuanced of a fashion are going to see Biden as a messianic figure.

I don’t think it’s surprising and can be clearly illustrated If we take the Hitler analogy and run with it. 

You only need to look at the way a majority of Brits deify Churchill for being the British leader during WWII, despite the fact he was a white supremacist and an unpopular failure as a peace time leader. 

It’s all about context. Compare a ham sandwich to a baked dog turd and the ham sandwich appears Michelin star worthy.

Tl;dr - Joe Biden is a ham sandwich. 

Edited by blutarsky

7 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I think you can criticise him, for sure. 

I mean, he another old white dude, man. He represents a lot of what’s wrong with US two party politics. The Dems are the left’s only choice and they aren’t a left wing party, but slightly left leaning centrists, and sometimes they’re not even slightly left of centre. 

However, Biden represents opposition to Trump, and was the only option for anyone who is anti-Trump. In that context people became invested in him and he seems to have become somewhat mythologised as a saviour figure. 

I think it’s understandable because Trump genuinely threatened the republic. The comparisons to Hitler don’t really stand up as Trump isn’t ideologically motivated in the way Hitler was, but his motivation of self-interest and his propensity for ignoring convention meant he acted in ways which were totalitarian. He denied the outcome of a democratic election and fostered an extremist base which he encouraged to attempt a coup. That statement may seem like an exaggeration to some, but only because it didn’t come to pass. 

In light of all this, some people who don’t think in too nuanced of a fashion are going to see Biden as a messianic figure.

I don’t think it’s surprising and can be clearly illustrated If we take the Hitler analogy and run with it. 

You only need to look at the way a majority of Brits deify Churchill for being the British leader during WWII, despite the fact he was a white supremacist and an unpopular failure as a peace time leader. 

It’s all about context. Compare a ham sandwich to a baked dog turd and the ham sandwich appears Michelin star worthy.

Tl;dr - Joe Biden is a ham sandwich. 

Hell yeah, now that's the kind of quality post I love to see! *Upvotes*

I only want us to strive for finer culinary delights than ham sandwiches. Thinking Biden is the answer and not just a tiny step is incredibly privileged. Some of y'all be acting like the family from Get Out lmfao