Socially Distanced Gigs

Dancers Stand Very Still

It's far from normal out there and obviously still a very precarious time, especially for small venues. This article yesterday suggests that it's unfeasible for most to hold any events any time soon, but the money (for those who were even lucky enough to get any), isn't going to last for long: https://www.nme.com/features/coronavirus-socially-distanced-gigs-concerts-uk-government-guidance-2734674

However, gigs in small outdoor settings or with limited capacity and enforced social-distancing in some indoors venues seem to be cropping up with increasing regularity. I thought I'd start this thread to differentiate from talk of 'standard format' gigs in the main Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs thread and to provide space to discuss all unusual or creative ideas for hosting gigs and whether we even agree with it at all.

Please feel free to share info on any you've heard about, are going to, or reviews of those you've attended so far!

• Upvote 1

I've been to a couple of gigs over the past 10 days and have 5 more lined up over the next couple of weeks. A little round up of what I'm aware of in London.

The Victoria in Dalston have had gigs in their garden the past couple of Sunday afternoons and have another this week - Bull are headlining. Donations to the Music Venue Trust. There is a donation option on DICE, but it's first-come first-served rather than being a ticket. The production this week was way up on the first, although the noise restrictions are obviously stricter being outside close to houses and talkers are an issue.

The Windmill in Brixton have also had a couple of socially-distanced indoor gigs (30 tickets each, I believe). I haven't made it to one yet, but have got tickets for three of their upcoming gigs. New dates seem to be being added most days on their website and tickets are available there too for a fiver a pop (https://www.windmillbrixton.co.uk/).

I also just won a pair of tickets for Norman Jay at an undisclosed location in Dalston tomorrow night (again, only 60 tickets), although apparently doors are at 5 (?!) which is going to prove very tricky after work.

The Big Sheep near me in Bideford North Devon have been putting on socially distanced gigs. You buy a circle in a field with a stage and can have up to 6 people from 2 households I think. Bit expensive if only 2 of you but I think they are now selling circles for less people.  Haven’t been my self but looks OKish. Have to stay in the circle with only one leaving at a time to get drinks etc. Don’t know what the atmosphere is like. Beans on toast played the other week which tempted me but don’t know anyone else who would go round this way. Usually go to Glastonbury on my own and meet friends there.
Article and photos in link below

https://www.mnprmagazine.com/live-music-returns-to-north-devon-with-the-baa-ladium-socially-distanced-outdoor-concert-series/

1 minute ago, Spacey said:

The Big Sheep near me in Bideford North Devon have been putting on socially distanced gigs. You buy a circle in a field with a stage and can have up to 6 people from 2 households I think. Bit expensive if only 2 of you but I think they are now selling circles for less people.  Haven’t been my self but looks OKish. Have to stay in the circle with only one leaving at a time to get drinks etc. Don’t know what the atmosphere is like. Beans on toast played the other week which tempted me but don’t know anyone else who would go round this way. Usually go to Glastonbury on my own and meet friends there.

https://www.mnprmagazine.com/live-music-returns-to-north-devon-with-the-baa-ladium-socially-distanced-outdoor-concert-series/

I completely get that - I usually tend to go alone and just meet people I know (or not)! I find these 'buy a table for 4' situations frustrating, but I guess it's the only viable option for some venues to get close to making any event worthwhile.

I've also ended up much closer than I'd probably like to others, as we've ended up sharing tables. That has been outdoors though, which just about seems alright, maybe? I've also found sitting down (as has been the case at everything I've been to so far), to be a strange experience in general. It's very difficult to fully lose yourself in the gig too IMO. It's a whole other topic, but I find gigs hugely important for mental health and would really struggle with this current format on a bad day. It takes much more effort to engage and to have to meet people, whether you feel up to it or not.

• Upvote 1

I went along to The Windmill last night for the first time since Lockdown. It was in theory sold out, but there were quite a few empty chairs. I would say that I was one of only 10-12 people not directly associated with the venue/acts.

It did feel strange and awkward and the music didn't particularly blow me away either, although James Martin and Platonica Erotica were by no means bad. I just think it's hard to lose yourself in the music perched on an uncomfortable wooden stool and wondering whether you should even be in a pub at all! The first act, Jack Merrett (of Famous) was shambolic but good fun and actually broke the ice fairly well, but the set up didn't feel conducive to building any atmosphere. Will give it another go, but I'm far from convinced.

I was at the Libertines gig in Newcastle on Saturday night. First and foremost, it was just great to be in a field with other people listening to live music. It was surreal but still a fun experience. The connection between the band and crowd obviously suffered but it's to be expected under the unusual circumstances. I think the strangest part of the night was when the band walked off before the encore, no one seemed to be aware that was the case and you could almost hear a pin drop. It was so awkward that Gary got on the microphone to drum up a bit of audience reaction. All-in-all, I'm glad I went and it was interesting to be part of a social experiment during the weirdest of times. Fair play to the organisers for showing some initiative and putting on as authentic a gig as possible. 

I've been to five now. The best so far was Bull at The Victoria on Sunday. It got very busy, but with everyone seated and being outside it actually felt safe (who knows if anything really is) and was the first time I've been able to almost let go. It just felt so right to be chatting and drinking with strangers, meeting new people and enjoying some good music together.

I even won a load of merch (and beer) in the #SaveOurVenues raffle!

The organisers (Egyptian Elbows & Hard of Hearing Music) put on an extra date on Monday, after the 3 week run of Sundays due to the popularity. I can't see any more at the moment, but it would be awesome to continue this through at least until autumn properly hits.

13 hours ago, K2SO said:

I have tickets to see Confidence Man on 17th of this month, and it's still not been cancelled. Odd.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Yeah same (except for the 23rd). Gigs literally can't go ahead though so I guess they'll just update it leading up to it?

Me too, in Bristol on 27th. I've never been to The Fleece but a quick google shows me that socially distancing looks nigh on impossible in there unless they've only sold about 20 tickets! 

It looks like that gig you're going to on the 17th @K2SO is the first of the tour so they're gonna have to get around to announcing the cancellation soon surely?

On 9/2/2020 at 11:44 AM, DareToDibble said:

Me too, in Bristol on 27th. I've never been to The Fleece but a quick google shows me that socially distancing looks nigh on impossible in there unless they've only sold about 20 tickets! 

It looks like that gig you're going to on the 17th @K2SO is the first of the tour so they're gonna have to get around to announcing the cancellation soon surely?

Got cancelled yesterday. Moved to October 2021. Their optimism levels have dropped 😂

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:44 AM, Spacey said:

Right near me. Have you seen The Plough is putting on some stuff too? 

Hey - thanks so much for putting this thread together. I actually play in a band and we're desperately looking for opportunities to play. We're an alt-rock/indie band in the style of The National/Nick Cave/PJ Harvey, but most of the opps I've seen are for acoustic gigs. Please do let me know if you see anywhere putting on full band gigs :)

Oh also, a contribution to the thread... this is what Van Morrisson's gigs look like tonight:

42 minutes ago, Al2006 said:

Hey - thanks so much for putting this thread together. I actually play in a band and we're desperately looking for opportunities to play. We're an alt-rock/indie band in the style of The National/Nick Cave/PJ Harvey, but most of the opps I've seen are for acoustic gigs. Please do let me know if you see anywhere putting on full band gigs :)

Oh also, a contribution to the thread... this is what Van Morrisson's gigs look like tonight:

Brixton windmill are doing daily gigs?

21 hours ago, Al2006 said:

Best of luck getting started again! I assume you guys are London based given the Van post?

As @zahidf said the Windmill have had daily acts for the past couple of weeks (https://www.windmillbrixton.co.uk/). I even had reason to use ear plugs the other night for Rattletooth, which was the first time since lockdown! They're definitely putting on full band shows now with the usual production, but with a seated capacity of 30. 

The Victoria (http://www.jaguarshoes.com/) have had events as well promoted by Egyptian Elbows (https://www.egyptianelbows.com/) and Hard of Hearing (https://hardofhearingmusic.com/), but I'm not ware of any more upcoming. Might be worth reaching out regardless.