Football 2020/2021

zahidf

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I took umbrage with you criticising City's history when you do not even know your own clubs history. You seem to equate history to winning trophies. City are older than United, were winning trophies before United and for the majority of their history, City have been arguably the bigger club. United fans seem to think football started in 1992, because that's when United started pulling away from City.

There is more to football than winning trophies.

I kinda feel the fans need to stick together to stop this. Getting all tribal (on either side) won't help

(Not specific on you btw: just a general point)

Edited by zahidf

48 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I kinda feel the fans need to stick together to stop this. Getting all tribal (on either side) won't help

(Not specific on you btw: just a general point)

The fans are united, no one wants this closed shop and the rich getting richer.

Fuck the 6 off out the Premier league and throw then out the Champions League. People will soon get bored of the whole sorry thing. No one wants to see City play Inter Milan every year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So no SKY or AMAZON Prime interest...

"We have not been involved in discussions..." is not the same as "we are not interested..."

The TV rights is an interesting facet to all of this. In one way it doesn't matter that much to the clubs as the real money will come from the deals in the Southern Hemisphere, whoever buys the rights in the UK is largely an afterthought. But given how toxic and widely unpopular this move is it'll be interesting to see who buys them and for how much.

My suspicion is that TV companies will wait until the initial wave of outrage and bad publicity has died down and been forgotten before making their moves.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

"We have not been involved in discussions..." is not the same as "we are not interested..."

The TV rights is an interesting facet to all of this. In one way it doesn't matter that much to the clubs as the real money will come from the deals in the Southern Hemisphere, whoever buys the rights in the UK is largely an afterthought. But given how toxic and widely unpopular this move is it'll be interesting to see who buys them and for how much.

My suspicion is that TV companies will wait until the initial wave of outrage and bad publicity has died down and been forgotten before making their moves.

PPV with the clubs taking the biggest slice, we all know that's what these big clubs want. 

1 minute ago, thetime said:

PPV with the clubs taking the biggest slice, we all know that's what these big clubs want. 

Which is why the likes of Sky and Amazon will be distancing themselves at this moment. They got massively stung when the Premier League clubs tried to impose PPV this season, people blaming the TV companies for it when it was actually the PL clubs who voted for it and agreed the price.

It'd be commercial suicide to be seen to be getting into bed with this right now. Best to wait until the dust settles and then see what the lie of the land is.

31 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No one wants to see City play Inter Milan every year.

The Americans will when its on at prime time (2am our time) in the MetLife Stadium and they're paying $200 for the cheap seats and €2000 for pitch side. Or in front of 90,000 Chinese in Beijing with half a billion in China watching on the telly at 5am our time. The Saudis wont have an issue paying 40 or 50 million to host one match. 

This has been coming for years. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Nice spread of owners for it too. Americans, Arabs, Chinese, Russian. Who would've thought these people like making money?!

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

See this is a myth. No one is interested in PPV. Gary Neville is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks United will get 150 million people paying to see them each week. MUTV has 170K subscribers world wide. It's one thing saying you follow a team, it's an entirely different matter when it comes to getting your money out of your pocket.

All the money in TV football is in England. It costs me more in one month to have Sky, BT and Amazon than it does for someone in Canada or America to get every premier League, champions league and cup match, for the entire season.  The English fans are all against this idea.

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

See this is a myth. No one is interested in PPV. Gary Neville is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks United will get 150 million people paying to see them each week. MUTV has 170K subscribers world wide. It's one thing saying you follow a team, it's an entirely different matter when it comes to getting your money out of your pocket.

All the money in TV football is in England. It costs me more in one month to have Sky, BT and Amazon than it does for someone in Canada or America to get every premier League, champions league and cup match, for the entire season.  The English fans are all against this idea.

Hmm I generally think there is a reason US sports seem to fail in Europe and vice versa. Its two completely difference cultures around sport.

The problem with this assertion as already mentioned is that the Real Madrid president has complete control and so the product offered in 20 years time could be something tailored to these markets to gain these new fans who exist in greater numbers.

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The International broadcasting rights are worth to the PL than domestic. £4.2bn versus £3bn.

The PL clubs also voted to implement PPV not six months ago.

How long did the ppv last? No one was interested, people were giving to food banks rather than pay ppv.

That 4.2 billion is split between over 100 countries. The UK deal is for one nation of 60 million people. No other country pays anywhere near as much as the British do.

19 minutes ago, eastynh said:

How long did the ppv last? No one was interested, people were giving to food banks rather than pay ppv.

That 4.2 billion is split between over 100 countries. The UK deal is for one nation of 60 million people. No other country pays anywhere near as much as the British do.

That was more to timing more than anything. Also charging 15 quid for the likes of Burnley. I'm sure there would be an uptake, especially for the bigger teams. As yourself and @squirrelarmy have alluded to, glory hunters and all that. 

It would cut down on the stuff your average fan isn't bothered with. Say 200(would be higher) quid for a season armchair ticket for united or liverpool. You wouldn't need 150m to take that option up.

Edited by thetime

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

That was more to timing more than anything. Also charging 15 quid for the likes of Burnley. I'm sure there would be an uptake, especially for the bigger teams. As yourself and @squirrelarmy have alluded to, glory hunters and all that. 

It would cut down on the stuff your average fan isn't bothered with. Say 200(would be higher) quid for a season armchair ticket for united or liverpool. You wouldn't need 150m to take that option up.

That's not going to make up the money they will be losing from England though. The English fans just don't want this super League. What happens if the 6 get threw out of the Premier League? No one's paying over £200 for 9 matches in a European Super League. What happens if United end up in group without Liverpool or City? No derby or matches against the Scousers, that's not what the fans want.

One thing that has been lost amongst the noise over the last 24 hours is the absolutely ridiculous plans UEFA have come up with for the champions league. They are nearly as bad as the super league ones. UEFA are just as greedy as the club's wanting to leave. No one wants more group matches against teams that finished 2nd in the Ukraine. UEFA's plan to allow teams in on the basis of co-efficient points rather than having earned their place is nearly s bad as the closed shop. It makes a mockery of the tee-shirts Leeds wore last night. 

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

My issue with the PPV this season was where the money was going to. 

Last season when Leeds were still in the championship we didn’t have the premier league tv rights to deal with and we were able to pay to watch the games on LUTV. The £10 a game we paid was going straight to the team, it was the next best thing to being able to be there and still financially support your club. Other championship clubs have the same option via ifollow. 

Paying 3rd parties extortionate rates to watch a game this season wasn’t a popular move especially when it was unknown how much of that money was going to your club. 

44 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Yeah and the UK bubble is well and truly bursting. The next round of rights for this country won’t be anywhere near as much. Sky subscriptions are tanking and people have figured out how to watch it elsewhere. The fans know it. Sky knows it and you and the rest of the scumbags know it which is why you’re peddling this bullshit to flog to the likes of China and India.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah and the UK bubble is well and truly bursting. The next round of rights for this country won’t be anywhere near as much. Sky subscriptions are tanking and people have figured out how to watch it elsewhere. The fans know it. Sky knows it and you and the rest of the scumbags know it which is why you’re peddling this bullshit to flog to the likes of China and India.

I'm not peddling anything, I don't want this super League. It goes against everything I believe in.