Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

But they are not playing in an announced slot. They would be announced as subs. If they were happy to play another slot (third down Pyramid isn’t guaranteed where they were) then why need to bump up the ‘SPECIAL GUESTS TBA’ slot to sub?

Christ, why do you insist in turning everything into an argument?

No, they were not announced. Yes, we were working on an assumption that they third down. Everyone gets this.

The point is that there is a sub-headline sized band already lurking on the fringes that would compliment the proposed headliner nicely. If the festival are either unable or unwilling to look for another sub they have a ready made solution on hand.

That’s all anyone is saying.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My original theory was Aerosmith we’re playing third down to fit this years big American act third down slot

Katy Perry, Janet Jackson, Aerosmith etc.

Katy Perry and Janet Jackson were announced off the bat. Aerosmith, much like The Killers and Radiohead, played lower down without announcement. Aerosmith even leaked that they were playing Glastonbury more and it was well known they’d be there so I don’t get the idea they were just TBA later.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Katy Perry and Janet Jackson were announced off the bat. Aerosmith, much like The Killers and Radiohead, played lower down without announcement. Aerosmith even leaked that they were playing Glastonbury more and it was well known they’d be there so I don’t get the idea they were just TBA later.

I’m talking about pre lineup announcement I thought that was the slot they were taking because it would fit with that style of booking. Hence the ? When they weren’t on the poster.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I also think there’s every chance that Aerosmith requested to be kept from the poster if they thought touring was unsafe for their (aging) team. They might have wanted some space before committing. It feels like by now we would have got the big wings logo rolled out in some way.

But we just don’t know. It’s all supposition and good natured guesswork; ways to pass the day.

Yes. I think that’s a genuine possibility too. Especially if glasto called their team up the night before the poster went up asking for their permission to be billed.

Then again. They have already committed to rescheduling dates... so they can’t be THAT concerned about it. I think it’s more likely Glasto we’re saving them for their own announcement after their U.K. shows had enough time to sell out.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m talking about pre lineup announcement I thought that was the slot they were taking. Hence the ? When they weren’t on the poster.

Fair. But after it was confirmed they weren’t on the poster then it looks a lot more like they were special guests TBA.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I came to talk about Glastonbury.

People debate things on forums. That’s what they’re for. I haven’t been hostile here at all today so I don’t get what the problem is, other than you can’t reasonably debate my points.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Fair. But after it was confirmed they weren’t on the poster then it looks a lot more like they were special guests TBA.

People debate things on forums. That’s what they’re for. I haven’t been hostile here at all today so I don’t get what the problem is, other than you can’t reasonably debate my points.

What exactly are your points? All I see is nitpicking at broader points other people make.

We get that Aerosmith were not announced and probably lined up for some special or potentially unannounced slot. It doesn’t rule them out of potentially subbing next year.

Going “but... but... but... they weren’t announced!” has very little relevance for 2021.

Yup a valid view but I think there’s multiple plausible explanations for why they weren’t on the poster even though the band had literally self confirmed their appearance. It was very fishy. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

It’s not a valid reason but I think they should be billed as normal this time. It’s like watching your parents buy your Christmas present in July and they try and keep it under wraps / secretive until the day.

It’s just not something that happens though. I think there are many many levels between Aerosmith and acts like Katy Perry and Janet Jackson when they played third down. Even Janet was so bemused with her placing that her team acted upon it so I think Aerosmith would be displeased with being below anyone on a bill.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What exactly are your points? All I see is nitpicking at broader points other people make.

We get that Aerosmith were not announced and probably lined up for some special or potentially unannounced slot. It doesn’t rule them out of potentially subbing next year.

Going “but... but... but... they weren’t announced!” has very little relevance for 2021.

I gave my opinion on that. They were down to play lower this year in a slot that wasn’t responsive th their stature so if they can get other bands in with a promise for them to sub headline the festival.

Your response, if I’m not mistaken, was that they are a sub headline band that would compliment the headliner. I would not agree that Aerosmith are a sub-headline sized band.

Edited by dentalplan

Download paid a lot for Aerosmith in 2017 to have them headline. Aerosmith are a £170 ticket band who are massive and are a headline band, you cannot dispute it, the only thing is they arent peoples first band to headline Glastonbury except from @Gnomicide. They would ordinarily headline but were willing to play lower. They probably will repeat the same slot but if headliners drop out, they are big enough to fill in and give a headline performance. Sub-headline? Aerosmith, some must be mad.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I gave my opinion on that. They were down to play lower this year in a slot that wasn’t responsive th their stature so if they can get other bands in with a promise for them to sub headline the festival.

Your response, if I’m not mistaken, was that they are a sub headline band that would compliment the headliner. I would not agree that Aerosmith are a sub-headline sized band.

On what grounds are they not sub-headline sized? Certainly are on record sales, venues sold out or other festival standings (they headline Download comfortably).

Then you have the much less tangible aspects of them being a big name band with a large number of hits that are well known and loved that would draw a huge crowd and huge singalongs.

What, in your view, doesn’t make them sub-worthy?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

On what grounds are they not sub-headline sized? Certainly are on record sales, venues sold out or other festival standings (they headline Download comfortably).

Then you have the much less tangible aspects of them being a big name band with a large number of hits that are well known and loved that would draw a huge crowd and huge singalongs.

What, in your view, doesn’t make them sub-worthy?

No I think they’re too big to subheadline, for the reasons you’ve stated.

No I think they’re too big to subheadline, for the reasons you’ve stated.

Oh, I may have done you a disservice there then. I thought you were arguing the other way. Apologies.

They would certainly be a big sub, one of the biggest the festival has ever booked, but not impossible. Big name bands have previously been happy to play below a living legend like McCartney (The Killers for example were due to play this year) and Tyler clearly has a good relationship with Macca.

I don’t think it can be ruled out at this stage.

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s not a valid reason but I think they should be billed as normal this time. It’s like watching your parents buy your Christmas present in July and they try and keep it under wraps / secretive until the day.

Jeez you're ITK about Christmas now? 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Oh, I may have done you a disservice there then. I thought you were arguing the other way. Apologies.

They would certainly be a big sub, one of the biggest the festival has ever booked, but not impossible. Big name bands have previously been happy to play below a living legend like McCartney (The Killers for example were due to play this year) and Tyler clearly has a good relationship with Macca.

I don’t think it can be ruled out at this stage.

Okay, but we know that they weren’t due to sub this year. That much was confirmed. The crux of my point is that they don’t need to sub next year if they didn’t agree to sub this year.

Okay, but we know that they weren’t due to sub this year. That much was confirmed. The crux of my point is that they don’t need to sub next year if they didn’t agree to sub this year.

Miss Rona has a way of mixing things up 

12 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I like the shout of Foals headlining the other stage, but it does mean that there will be 3 all male acts headlining that stage. Quite left field but if they're replacing Lana could Lizzo fit nicely in that spot if she's touring? 

Aren’t foals rescheduling the dates which counted them out of Glastonbury? I dunno why they’d get drafted in.