Emily confirms "significant, big surprises"

ProperTea

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'd be surprised to see her show up for those reasons. Like, it might be cool to join up brand Greta Thunberg with brand Glastonbury but really, Greta Thunberg going to a dairy farm to speak on climate change to tens of thousands of people who have travelled to Somerset in various not-so-climate-friendly ways isn't good PR and it would be used as a stick to beat her with.

It's not tens of thousands of people... Attenborough received wall to wall news coverage and loads of airtime on the BBC coverage for what was basically an advert for his new show.  That's millions of people.  And she's already proved on countless occasions that she doesn't care about people attempting to beat her with sticks if she doesn't believe their criticisms to be valid.

She'll be there.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess she has to make a decision based on the generally not good impact of festivals (yes I know Glastonbury is making steps in improving that ) versus the impact she will be able to make in crowd education .... she also Travels in environmentally friendly ways so it would also depend if this was possible ... 

If she can get to New York on a boat, she can get to Somerset.

12 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

It's not tens of thousands of people... Attenborough received wall to wall news coverage and loads of airtime on the BBC coverage for what was basically an advert for his new show.  That's millions of people.  And she's already proved on countless occasions that she doesn't care about people attempting to beat her with sticks if she doesn't believe their criticisms to be valid.

She'll be there.

But I was referring to the tens of thousands of people who are directly in front of her, and have travelled there.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

But I was referring to the tens of thousands of people who are directly in front of her, and have travelled there.

And I was referring to why an activist who attempts to raise awareness as far an wide as they possibly can might not be focusing on the tens of thousands of people directly in front of her when deciding if it's a good idea or not.

Just now, GrumpyRaver said:

Sure.  I was responding to the bit that covered that.  I covered the other part in my post above.

and without going round in circles too much .... the point was would she travel by boat or any other method she choses to something that could be quite easily considered by some to be different to her ethos ... its not quite so easy practically ... I for one would love to see her there but dont think its quite so straightforward as is made out 

7 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

And I was referring to why an activist who attempts to raise awareness as far an wide as they possibly can might not be focusing on the tens of thousands of people directly in front of her when deciding if it's a good idea or not.

She doesn’t need to go to Glastonbury to get her voice heard. Why do you think the venue of her speech is irrelevant as long as she’s getting maximum publicity?

Greta Thunberg on the pyramid would be very much preaching to the converted but the main purpose would be the extensive media coverage it would get. We are now at the stage where politicians are realising that climate change is a reality and needs immediate attention. Those who have denied climate change are at last beginning  to get marginalised . Essentially the publicity and actions of Greta T has galvanised the youth and embarrassed the establishment. For that we should be really grateful and appearing at Glastonbury would just keep up the momentum. The real work to tackle climate change now lies with the willingness of politicians and the skills of scientists, ecologists and engineers to develop solutions. I won’t see if they will ever be successful in their endeavours but I hope my four grandkids do. 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and without going round in circles too much .... the point was would she travel by boat or any other method she choses to something that could be quite easily considered by some to be different to her ethos ... its not quite so easy practically ... I for one would love to see her there but dont think its quite so straightforward as is made out 

I mean, if you don't want to go round in circles, you probably shouldn't restate an opinion you've clearly already made and which I've clearly already responded to.  You have your opinion, I have mine - Let's just leave it at that rather than trying to have the final word without adding anything to the discussion.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She doesn’t need to go to Glastonbury to get her voice heard. Why do you think the venue of her speech is irrelevant as long as she’s getting maximum publicity?

The number of people who have actually heard her speak is surprisingly low.  Everybody knows who she is, and what she stands for.  But few people tune in to hear speeches made at Davos, or the UN, or a parliamentary committee.  She would be speaking to literally millions of people who aren't served by traditional news coverage.  Also, a huge part of activism is finding fresh ways to keep yourself or the issue in the news and people's minds.  This ticks all of those boxes.

5 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I mean, if you don't want to go round in circles, you probably shouldn't restate an opinion you've clearly already made and which I've clearly already responded to.  You have your opinion, I have mine - Let's just leave it at that rather than trying to have the final word without adding anything to the discussion.

I would love to see her there and I hope Im wrong she's an inspiring  young lady 

• Like 1

Can I add to my previous post, I’ve seen first hand the incredible change in attitude by kids from the age of 5 the young adults in senior school to the issue of climate change . They seem more aware of it than many of the staff! This has been building for about 10 years but increased markedly since Greta Thunberg came on the scene. There never been such a single issue that has created such concern and interest. 

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

The number of people who have actually heard her speak is surprisingly low.  Everybody knows who she is, and what she stands for.  But few people tune in to hear speeches made at Davos, or the UN, or a parliamentary committee.  She would be speaking to literally millions of people who aren't served by traditional news coverage.  Also, a huge part of activism is finding fresh ways to keep yourself or the issue in the news and people's minds.  This ticks all of those boxes.

This supposes that those people will not only tune in but actually be interested in what she’s saying, when they know who she is but never bothered before.

I get what you mean but I think muddying what she is preaching with the choice of venue would not be worth it for the increased exposure.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

If she does address the masses, maybe she can explain why her parents and entourage fly when she is travelling by more environmentally friendly methods.    

Why would she go around apologising for her parents?

This supposes that those people will not only tune in but actually be interested in what she’s saying, when they know who she is but never bothered before.

I get what you mean but I think muddying what she is preaching with the choice of venue would not be worth it for the increased exposure.

If she's part of the BBC coverage (which she undoubtedly would be if she appeared), there is no debate about whether millions of these people would tune in or not.  It's guaranteed.  

Bloody well said.

Basically what I’ve tried to say in my recent posts is that She has managed to reach and inspire the youth of the country and politicians have taken note. Apart from Trump of course but he is a prick. We were all taken aback when we went into the staff car park to find a sticker on each car rating from 1 to 5 how polluting it is. A few, not me I may add, were quite embarrassed!  

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well, maybe because while she was sailing to America a few months ago getting publicity for her environmentally friendly mode of travel, her backup team were flying over in a Jumbo jet. Carbon footprint reduced by zero.

I fully support her views and good on her for galvanising public opinion, but maybe speaking on a dairy farm (when she is a Vegan) whose cows contribute to global warming and to thousands of people who drove to get there, might not be the sensible thing to do particularly are pretty much everyone there are already onboard. The media coverage for the Dalai Lama and David Attenborough was negligible. I don't think the BBC coverage the entire speeches at all did they?     

Edited by Ommadawn

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

She'll be there.

Still annoyed at Attenborough... Absolutely love the guy and couldn’t wait to hear what he had to say. It was nothing more than “watch my new show”.

4 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Well, maybe because while she was sailing to America a few months ago getting publicity for her environmentally friendly mode of travel, her backup team were flying over in a Jumbo jet. Carbon footprint reduced by zero.

I fully support her views and good on her for galvanising public opinion, but maybe speaking on a dairy farm whose cows contribute to global warming and to thousands of people who drove to get there, might not be the sensible thing to do particularly are pretty much everyone there are already onboard. The media coverage for the Dalai Lama and David Attenborough was negligible. I don't think the BBC coverage the entire speeches at all did they?     

Disagree, can’t be arsed to point out why.

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

out of interest we haven't had any information that she's going to be there have we ? other than that she's in Bristol 4 months before ? I know we had some inklings of David attenborough early ... so what do we mark her as ? a rumour ?

Its just people adding on the 'well x did it last year so I'm sure y will do it this year'

Case in points Killers secret>Headline, Foals secret > loads thought they'd headline because of it and now we have this year of 1975, people think they'll do a secret set to turn up next year and headline.