Emily confirms "significant, big surprises"

ProperTea

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Its just people adding on the 'well x did it last year so I'm sure y will do it this year'

Case in points Killers secret>Headline, Foals secret > loads thought they'd headline because of it and now we have this year of 1975, people think they'll do a secret set to turn up next year and headline. 

Ah :) didnt think id missed anything ... I guess it would fit with a pattern if there actually was one .... but maybe they might fill that time with some music ... 

12 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Well, maybe because while she was sailing to America a few months ago getting publicity for her environmentally friendly mode of travel, her backup team were flying over in a Jumbo jet. Carbon footprint reduced by zero.

I fully support her views and good on her for galvanising public opinion, but maybe speaking on a dairy farm (when she is a Vegan) whose cows contribute to global warming and to thousands of people who drove to get there, might not be the sensible thing to do particularly are pretty much everyone there are already onboard. The media coverage for the Dalai Lama and David Attenborough was negligible. I don't think the BBC coverage the entire speeches at all did they?     

If you cycled to the festival for environmental reasons and met up with your campmates who drove there, was it pointless? I just find it a daft thing to pick at, and I find it pretty noble that she's doing it.

Agree with your second point. I bet many people 'saw' Corbyn and Attenborough and whoever at Glastonbury on the telly but didn't pay attention to what was said. It's all about the image and, as much as we love the festival and admire Thunberg, it isn't necessarily the best one for Thunberg to be heading to the festival.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you cycled to the festival for environmental reasons and met up with your campmates who drove there, was it pointless? I just find it a daft thing to pick at, and I find it pretty noble that she's doing it.

I've learned to ignore people that bring up that kinda point. Its just people trying to poke holes into someone (this case a teenager) that is saying they're doing a good thing so the person poking holes can go 'oh hang on but you don't do x'. Its just sad that people can't be appreciative of others. 

• Like 2

I have no real problem with Greta and her entourage increasing their carbon footprint by attending lectures, festivals, meetings etc worldwide. It is offset by the publicity it gives the cause and the fact that by doing this it has changed the habits and awareness of many many people around the globe. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I have no real problem with Greta and her entourage increasing their carbon footprint by attending lectures, festivals, meetings etc worldwide. It is offset by the publicity it gives the cause and the fact that by doing this it has changed the habits and awareness of many many people around the globe. 

Wasn't that the argument made by Emma Thompson when she flew all the way over from America just to attend one of Greta's rallies? She said she'd plant a few trees to compensate for the carbon footprint, when it might have been better to plant the trees and and not to travel.  

17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I've learned to ignore people that bring up that kinda point. Its just people trying to poke holes into someone (this case a teenager) that is saying they're doing a good thing so the person poking holes can go 'oh hang on but you don't do x'. Its just sad that people can't be appreciative of others. 

The fact that Greta is a teenager is neither here nor there. If you stick your head above the parapet, you must expect to be called out if you (or your parents) do or say something that does match with your message.

Edited by Ommadawn

48 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Well, maybe because while she was sailing to America a few months ago getting publicity for her environmentally friendly mode of travel, her backup team were flying over in a Jumbo jet. Carbon footprint reduced by zero.

I fully support her views and good on her for galvanising public opinion, but maybe speaking on a dairy farm (when she is a Vegan) whose cows contribute to global warming and to thousands of people who drove to get there, might not be the sensible thing to do particularly are pretty much everyone there are already onboard. The media coverage for the Dalai Lama and David Attenborough was negligible. I don't think the BBC coverage the entire speeches at all did they?     

They did - several times in fact.  And then they were on every news bulletin for a day, and Attenborough was on the front page of most newspapers the next day.  About as far away from negligible coverage as it's possible to get for a speech.

24 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Wasn't that the argument made by Emma Thompson when she flew all the way over from America just to attend one of Greta's rallies? She said she'd plant a few trees to compensate for the carbon footprint, when it might have been better to plant the trees and and not to travel.  

We arnt talking about planting a few trees here, we are talking about thousands and thousands of people changing their attitude to climate change, waste disposal , political,thinking, especially the youth, because of her activism. Surely that’s worth a few flights! 

26 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

The fact that Greta is a teenager is neither here nor there. If you stick your head above the parapet, you must expect to be called out if you (or your parents) do or say something that does match with your message.

I'm sure loads of us here preach freedom and everything else while we're at the festival but I would put money that not all of us do it all the time and not all of us expect every person that we are associated with to do it too. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

We arnt talking about planting a few trees here, we are talking about thousands and thousands of people changing their attitude to climate change, waste disposal , political,thinking, especially the youth, because of her activism. Surely that’s worth a few flights! 

Nah, fuck her, doesn't know what shes talking about, she should probably tell her parents off before speaking to the whole world or I wont listen. I had it tougher in my day.

/s 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Anyway, the days are beginning to get longer, the rumours are in full swing so back to significant big surprises! My hope for a big surprise? The Kinks on a sunny summer afternoon on the pyramid, 

Now, that's what I call a proper surprise to get excited about!

Edited by GrumpyRaver

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes - if it happens.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

But I was referring to the tens of thousands of people who are directly in front of her, and have travelled there.

Think this is a non-starter tbh. She's spoken at climate conferences where people have flown in. Interviewed by countless people who have flown in. Who knows how far people have travelled to hear/see her at various other events. I don't think that will be what holds her back imo. 

(The dairy farming on the other hand - absolutely.)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tuna said:

Think this is a non-starter tbh. She's spoken at climate conferences where people have flown in. Interviewed by countless people who have flown in. Who knows how far people have travelled to hear/see her at various other events. I don't think that will be what holds her back imo. 

(The dairy farming on the other hand - absolutely.)

spot on.

"Greta Thunberg won't appear at Glastonbury because lots of people got there unsustainably" is some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard.