Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

Dua's hype has also suffered a bit by the album roll out being a bit flat.  If one of the first three singles had been an undeniable monster I think there'd be a bit more juice   as it is Illusion has really cooled expectations around the album.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Par for the course really - there's a general lack of excitement at all of the top end of the line-up. The Coldplay and SZA threads are also dormant and there's not much to speculate about in terms of things like setlist which happens with heritage acts like Elton or the Stones.

Yeah, I get that. There does seem to be general apathy around the festival this year. Out of the three headliners, I do (hope) think she’s going to be the one that creates something special for Glastonbury.

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Yeah, I get that. There does seem to be general apathy around the festival this year. Out of the three headliners, I do (hope) think she’s going to be the one that creates something special for Glastonbury.

Agreed - I also hope she levels the place.  Just not sure that bringing out Kevin Parker is the way to do it.

4 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I’m probably alone in liking Houdini.

Nah - I also like both it and Training Season.  Just that neither of them seems to have really caught the imagination of the public at large to the same extent as the Future Nostalgia tracks.

16 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I’m probably alone in liking Houdini.

I love Houdini! No idea why there isn’t more love for it.. I can’t get it out of my head.

14 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Of all of the Kevins around on site, Rowland would be an infinitely more interesting choice as special guest.

I love Kev and the thought of him coming out dressed like a dandy to launch into There There My Dear is awesome - albeit it would garner a Tricky with Beyonce sort of response.

I’ve come around massively to Houdini. It’s not enough of a departure from the FN stuff to properly capture the conversation like that album did, but it’s still a bit of a banger and reckon it’ll properly pop off at the festival. 

Her album rollout has been a bit of a shiter and hopefully not a sign of the album itself being a bit of a flop, but even if it is, her set will be great regardless imo. FN + the couple of songs she plays from the first album already mean she’s got enough hits to bring the heat

The extended versions of the new songs are where it is at

Also I appreciate that she is trying something new rather than replicating the sound of Future Nostalgia (which was lightening in a bottle and probably difficult to replicate that success anyway)

She also has something to prove, some type of history at Glastobury and I think this will show with her performance

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Figured out what the guitar part on Training Season reminds me of:

Rendez-Vu by Basement Jaxx.

YES!  I knew it was familiar.

I've liked all the newer stuff, but it didn't make me immediately sit up and pay attention the way some of her other stuff did.  First time I heard New Rules I was immediately captured.  Houdini/Training Season are in no way bad, they just feel like slower burners.

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Nice interview on bbc breakfast telly there. She sounds excited about playing Glastonbury !

I think she understands it... so hope she smashes it. I was at her 2017 set, not knowing who she was at the time... and it was great.

I was looking forward to her set anyway but then heard a snippet on the radio earlier where she said words to the effect of "I've been looking forward to this my whole life, it will be the most important set I've ever played". Coupled with her Instagram post about her set which said similar and all the interviews since and I'm genuinely buzzing for her set now.

I know I shouldn't but I always prefer headliners who "get it". It just feels like they're enjoying it and get how special the place is.

Edited by DareToDibble

On 5/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, OCarter said:

https://youtu.be/8_2R2FChhos?si=oc1y7EDsZzl49MPz

Watching her Zane Lowe interview and my oh my she knows the importance of Glastonbury, and yes I’m thinking Kevin Parker comes out with her and will surely be prime support slot for her Stadium tour next year 

Just watched this and even more on board. She will be incredible. 

For anyone wanting to see just the Glasto stuff, skip to 34 minutes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Jesus… are you actively trying to become a parody now?

I'm just pointing out that dua is a parody.

• Downvote 1

ANYWAY…

Pains me to say but new album is quite mid. Couple of album tracks that caught my ear on first listen (End of an Error, Falling Forever, Happy For You) but also quite a lot of stuff that is incredibly unremarkable and even sounds unfinished. Far more chilling at the beach than throwing shapes in the club. Clear to see why the singles were chosen as some of this other stuff is so incredibly inconsequential. 

That said, the singles + some of the stronger album songs added to the setlist and we’re still on for a goer - not gonna be any massive dips in the setlist that lose the crowd or anything like that. 

7 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

ANYWAY…

Pains me to say but new album is quite mid. Couple of album tracks that caught my ear on first listen (End of an Error, Falling Forever, Happy For You) but also quite a lot of stuff that is incredibly unremarkable and even sounds unfinished. Far more chilling at the beach than throwing shapes in the club. Clear to see why the singles were chosen as some of this other stuff is so incredibly inconsequential. 

That said, the singles + some of the stronger album songs added to the setlist and we’re still on for a goer - not gonna be any massive dips in the setlist that lose the crowd or anything like that. 

Agree on the album. But take the hits up until FN and add Dance The Night, Houdini, Illusion, Training Season and that Elton collab and we're looking at a packed set. 

1. Houdini

2. New Rules

3. Love Again

4. Falling Forever

5. Break My Heart

6. Be the One

7. Illuminate 

8. Hallucinate

9. End of an Error

10. Physical

11. These Walls

12. Electricity 
13. One Kiss
13. Cold Heart
14. Happy For You

15. Levitating

16. Training Season
17. Dance the Night 

18. Don’t Start Now

Something like that and you’re still never more than a song away from an absolute banger.

• Upvote 1

I'm fascinated that she is not just the musical guest on an upcoming episode of Saturday Night Live in the US but she's also the host of the episode too - feels like a real sink or swim moment for how she and this album are perceived, even if the cultural power of that show has reduced since its peak.