Footwear for 2020

Suprefan

So my first year at Glasto in 2017 the weather wasnt anything extreme and I made it through the weekend with just trainers. Im sort of expecting I wont be as lucky in 2020. So I was potentially looking at getting a pair of military boots from a surplus store instead of wellies. Anyone have experience getting through the festival with those kind of  boots? Pros and cons? Cheers!

The danger with old military boots is the damage they may do to your feet, they will already have wear and tear and unless you really wear them in they can ruin your feet, especially with the amount of walking you will be doing. You are probably better off with new cheap walking boots that you have worn in properly. Make sure they fit proper and do them up correctly, friction causes blisters, not doing them up fully causes movement, which then causes blisters

9 hours ago, Smeble said:

The danger with old military boots is the damage they may do to your feet, they will already have wear and tear and unless you really wear them in they can ruin your feet, especially with the amount of walking you will be doing. You are probably better off with new cheap walking boots that you have worn in properly. Make sure they fit proper and do them up correctly, friction causes blisters, not doing them up fully causes movement, which then causes blisters

Thanks,  Ill see what pops up, this is why you ask now and not a few weeks in advance!.  

I got a pair of Timberlands last year in the sale, ones that claimed to be waterproof. I didn't originally have any intention to wear them to festivals (didn't want to ruin them) but took them to Boomtown last year. They were great!! So comfortable and didn't require much breaking in. Heavy, sure, but definitely waterproof. So now I'm a bit of a walking boot convert...but still think a good few months breaking in time is useful, even though mine didn't need it  Would totally recommend trying to get a good pair of waterproof boots now in the sale or on eBay. Although, if it's like @crazyfool1's pic, I'll probably be reverting back to wellies!

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I got a pair of Timberlands last year in the sale, ones that claimed to be waterproof. I didn't originally have any intention to wear them to festivals (didn't want to ruin them) but took them to Boomtown last year. They were great!! So comfortable and didn't require much breaking in. Heavy, sure, but definitely waterproof. So now I'm a bit of a walking boot convert...but still think a good few months breaking in time is useful, even though mine didn't need it  Would totally recommend trying to get a good pair of waterproof boots now in the sale or on eBay. Although, if it's like @crazyfool1's pic, I'll probably be reverting back to wellies!

it will dry out :) the somerset levels are designed as a flood plain ( we won't be telling anyone that come resale time though :) ) .... I do find that although expensive sealskinz socks used in conjunction with a comfortable pair of reasonable walking shoes does the job ... they are very effective at keeping the feet dry and you can happily dance in puddles in them :) (should you wish to ) 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, crazyfool1 said:

it will dry out :) the somerset levels are designed as a flood plain

I hope so!  I have got to admit that I've been getting quite nervous with how there's been a metric fuck tonne of rain the last few months. Given how lucky we've been the last 3 years, I think we're owed a wet / muddy one.

Regarding footwear, to echo what has previously been said - make sure you properly break the boots in (regardless of whether they are military or walking boots) and SealSkinz are a must.  They may be a bit expensive but you can't put a price on dry feet (well you can at £30 a pair).

Personally I'd see what boots you can get in the sales instead of taking a chance on (possibly beaten up) military boots

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I hope so!  I have got to admit that I've been getting quite nervous with how there's been a metric fuck tonne of rain the last few months. Given how lucky we've been the last 3 years, I think we're owed a wet / muddy one.

Regarding footwear, to echo what has previously been said - make sure you properly break the boots in (regardless of whether they are military or walking boots) and SealSkinz are a must.  They may be a bit expensive but you can't put a price on dry feet (well you can at £30 a pair).

Personally I'd see what boots you can get in the sales instead of taking a chance on (possibly beaten up) military boots

This....

On 12/30/2019 at 11:24 AM, Kinkyinuit said:

Never really understand this, if anything 3 years in a row shows the climate may have shifted somewhat.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, MaxPower said:

Never really understand this, if anything 3 years in a row shows the climate may have shifted somewhat.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, crazyfool1 said:

To more extremes ... not necessarily dry though :) 

just as likely to snow as repeat last years heatwave.... 🙄

I bought a pair of these last year on recommendation on here after my old walking boots got trashed working in the recycling centre. 

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hit779/hi~tec-penrith-mid-waterpoof-trail-walking-boots-~-aw19/

Worn them a few times since purchase including in some heavy rain when in Iceland and they were great. Comfortable and dry. 

I normally take walking boots, trainers and muck boots as that covers most bases

7 hours ago, dondo said:

I bought a pair of these last year on recommendation on here after my old walking boots got trashed working in the recycling centre. 

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hit779/hi~tec-penrith-mid-waterpoof-trail-walking-boots-~-aw19/

Worn them a few times since purchase including in some heavy rain when in Iceland and they were great. Comfortable and dry. 

I normally take walking boots, trainers and muck boots as that covers most bases

i like to be comfortable in the knowledge that something is supporting the ankles... a lot of uneven ground on which tou turn your ankle whatever the weather..

I can understand the wellies option if it is 2007 standard wet (you should know that in advance though) but walking boots otherwise

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

i like to be comfortable in the knowledge that something is supporting the ankles... a lot of uneven ground on which tou turn your ankle whatever the weather..

I can understand the wellies option if it is 2007 standard wet (you should know that in advance though) but walking boots otherwise

That's why I bought muck boots as they have better ankle support than wellies

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...