Mad Cool Festival 2020

Superunknown

25 minutes ago, Prophet of Doom said:

Think Mad Cool’s strategy of teasing us with a clue, then announcing an artist or band far inferior to the band everybody was thinking is really flawed. 

Stop messing about and give us the full lineup and the day splits so we can see if it gets any better than what’s been named so far.

That's happening sometimes because we're thinking of the biggest names that match the clues (or sometimes even ones that don't but we want them to). It won't be their actual strategy to make us think it's someone bigger (in the hope that we forget to see the answer and buy tickets thinking it was someone else?). We have to accept it's not going to be a big name every day, but every now and then it will be. Fair enough if you'd prefer it all at once to not be teased and make a decision, but it's certainly engaging a lot of people and keeping the festival top of mind in a very competitive market.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

That's happening sometimes because we're thinking of the biggest names that match the clues (or sometimes even ones that don't but we want them to). It won't be their actual strategy to make us think it's someone bigger (in the hope that we forget to see the answer and buy tickets thinking it was someone else?). We have to accept it's not going to be a big name every day, but every now and then it will be. Fair enough if you'd prefer it all at once to not be teased and make a decision, but it's certainly engaging a lot of people and keeping the festival top of mind in a very competitive market.

Agree with that last line. Only issue comes when potential buyers see somewhere else where they prefer the line up and book elsewhere. I was seriously thinking about going to Mad Cool but recent announcements just not doing it for me. 

2 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Agree with that last line. Only issue comes when potential buyers see somewhere else where they prefer the line up and book elsewhere. I was seriously thinking about going to Mad Cool but recent announcements just not doing it for me. 

Yeah of course. But 2 things:

1. The final lineup might make you make the same decision anyway

2. There will be loads of acts that actually can't announce yet due to embargos (and some may not even have signed yet). No competitor has announced anything like a full line-up, have they? Still early days. I can't think of anything else out there with enough of a lineup yet to make a decision on, if that is the key factor (many people decide to go to their favourite festivals without seeing the lineup).

4 minutes ago, Red Day said:

They do have a novel approach to announcing each act. Needs to be taken into context though as Red Day says. Some big names already announced and no doubt more to come.

4 days over what, 7 stages? That's a lot of acts. They haven't announced any big name DJs yet either but they did have a great, if small, lineup, (mainly in "The Loop") last year and I'm hoping for more of the same. 

Discovered some great new music among the lesser known bands at Mad Cool too. They can surprise you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, lighthouse said:

at least these headliners are something different than the usual Kings Of Leon Pearl Jam Red Hot Chili Peppers 'been there seen that' kind of headliners.

They’re certainly something different but for my tastes they put me off going. I’d rather watch PJ than anything like that

2 minutes ago, Red Day said:

They’re certainly something different but for my tastes they put me off going. I’d rather watch PJ than anything like that

I'm not the biggest fan of either Swift or Billie, but I'm still pretty curious. So at least there's that. I like Pearl Jam, but I've seen them too many times to be exited by them. I think a Taylor Swift, who normally never does festivals, spices up the Mad Cool lineup a bit.

• Upvote 2