There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

Despite the money they give to charity and other aspects of the Festival, when it comes down to it Glastonbury is still a business. Their survival and ability to continue is based around shifting all their tickets and remaining popular enough to do that as quickly as possible.

The idea that they should effectively shoot themselves in the foot and try to make themselves less popular is a somewhat bonkers concept.

The reality is it’s the best festival, it looks amazing on TV and is probably the best five days of your life that most people could have in any given year. That’s why so many people want to go, social media has nothing to do with it other than the fact it’s a part of modern life and isn’t going anywhere, just like television or microwave ovens before it. Social media is and always has been a normal part of life for younger people, but Glastonbury should be sabotaged to just not appeal to whole generations of people??

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Show me where the top influencers, fashionistas and the like from around the world are at the festival posting their photos and videos to millions of followers that has made it into an even bigger thing which you do not recognize. You want to tell me The Kardashians go to Worthy every summer? Glasto is that deep into pop culture?  If you want to place any blame on how its morphed then that would be the BBC and to some extent global warming. Last 3 festivals have had incredibly favorable weather and that looks amazing on the tele when you see ( like in 2019 ) 90% of the audience in shorts and bathing suits having a good ol time. If it was a  consistent muddy slog every year then it wouldnt be seen as you think its being seen. Imagine how much worse it would be if the BBC streamed the whole weekend world wide instead of only in the uk. cause a lot of people do not get to see anything beyond the youtube clips and vlogs that exist.

Then also let me know when Glasto gets named dropped in a Marvel movie and then we can talk about  pop culture supposedly making it harder for you on T day.

Really though, the fest is still undervalued and its finally getting closer to what it should cost for what you get. Although that extra money doesnt go to the talent sadly. Thus the conundrum of price vs lineup value.

Waiting for the marvel film where someone says "when you said you'd take me to Somerset, I thought you meant Glastonbury or, err, wookey hole?"

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Show me where the top influencers, fashionistas and the like from around the world are at the festival posting their photos and videos to millions of followers that has made it into an even bigger thing which you do not recognize. You want to tell me The Kardashians go to Worthy every summer? Glasto is that deep into pop culture?  If you want to place any blame on how its morphed then that would be the BBC and to some extent global warming. Last 3 festivals have had incredibly favorable weather and that looks amazing on the tele when you see ( like in 2019 ) 90% of the audience in shorts and bathing suits having a good ol time. If it was a  consistent muddy slog every year then it wouldnt be seen as you think its being seen. Imagine how much worse it would be if the BBC streamed the whole weekend world wide instead of only in the uk. cause a lot of people do not get to see anything beyond the youtube clips and vlogs that exist.

Then also let me know when Glasto gets named dropped in a Marvel movie and then we can talk about  pop culture supposedly making it harder for you on T day.

Really though, the fest is still undervalued and its finally getting closer to what it should cost for what you get. Although that extra money doesnt go to the talent sadly. Thus the conundrum of price vs lineup value.

Glastonbury is name dropped in stuff all the time. It was actually fully featured in one of the Kingsman films, it was also used recently by the Qatar World Cup, which will be watched by 3bn people worldwide.

I don’t disagree with your wider point, but this just seems like another attempt to say “look how big Coachella is” when Glastonbury is just as, if not more culturally significant.

Also Glastonbury is a UK festival, they prioritise people who go by coach within the UK for environmental reasons, it would be somewhat moronic to actively promote the festival to people in the rest of the world.

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

Despite the money they give to charity and other aspects of the Festival, when it comes down to it Glastonbury is still a business. Their survival and ability to continue is based around shifting all their tickets and remaining popular enough to do that as quickly as possible.

The idea that they should effectively shoot themselves in the foot and try to make themselves less popular is a somewhat bonkers concept.

The reality is it’s the best festival, it looks amazing on TV and is probably the best five days of your life that most people could have in any given year. That’s why so many people want to go, social media has nothing to do with it other than the fact it’s a part of modern life and isn’t going anywhere, just like television or microwave ovens before it. Social media is and always has been a normal part of life for younger people, but Glastonbury should be sabotaged to just not appeal to whole generations of people??

Amen

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Genuine question - have you been to Glasto? 

The festival is so much more than the main stage.  I don't think it's sad at all that the money doesn't all get spent there.  They get enough talent without throwing the budget that creates the rest of the vast show at top American artists.

43 minutes ago, stuie said:

Genuine question - have you been to Glasto? 

The festival is so much more than the main stage.  I don't think it's sad at all that the money doesn't all get spent there.  They get enough talent without throwing the budget that creates the rest of the vast show at top American artists.

i totally agree with this.It would be a festival I wouldn't want to go to if it was only the main stage focussed upon.

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

Nah. Can't see anything else replacing it and that would need to happen first. Glasto would also be able to replicate whatever that is if it became a threat. Only thing that stops Glasto is licencing. 

Good point about something needing to replace it first, I was just thinking aloud. I remember as a kid Reading was always the one that we wanted to go to but over the years the popularity began to wane a bit. 

I still think Glastonbury's popularity might dip a little bit in the coming years. Increasing ticket prices, difficulty in getting tickets etc. as well as a few wet years and it becoming a destination for people like Nadine Dories then maybe the younger crowd or those glasto virgins might be less eager in trying.

Of course, for those who have been before they'll know the above means nothing and it's still the best place on the earth! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mike46 said:

and it becoming a destination for people like Nadine Dories

It's really not a destination for people like Nadine Dories.

She posted on twitter that she was trying for tickets and got a barrage of abuse including videos of Jamie Webster and a packed Leftfield tent singing 'Fuck the tories'.

I don't image she'd have a nice time if she went tbh.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

She posted on twitter that she was trying for tickets and got a barrage of abuse including videos of Jamie Webster and a packed Leftfield tent singing 'Fuck the tories'.

That was a bit tongue in cheek, I didn't mean to single her out specifically but more to highlight a range of potential ingredients that could come together into a wider mix that could result in a changing perception of the festival. We're all in love with the place here, but there's no guarantee the wider world will continue to see it as the 'cool' destination to be at in ten years  

Edited by mike46

3 minutes ago, mike46 said:

That was a bit tongue in cheek, I didn't mean to single her out specifically but more to highlight a range of potential ingredients that could come together into a wider mix that could result in a changing perception of the festival. We're all in love with the place here, but there's no guarantee the wider world will continue to see it as the 'cool' destination to be at in ten years  

I have no doubt at all that it will long remain a lefty paradise.

So much gate keeping going on in this thread - Glastonbury, like any festival, will be roughly reflective of the state of society at the time. It's a festival of the contemporary performing arts not a festival of old white blokes playing guitar and appealing to the same tired audience that have always gone. Music that could roughly be termed 'alternative' is still massively over represented at the festival compared to society as a whole.

And spare me the same boring shite about young people and influencers and tiktok - no one has a divine right to attend at the festival and any talk of the "proper gig going fans" being the ones who should attend sounds an awful lot like we should only let the right people in but not the undesirables. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

So much gate keeping going on in this thread - Glastonbury, like any festival, will be roughly reflective of the state of society at the time. It's a festival of the contemporary performing arts not a festival of old white blokes playing guitar and appealing to the same tired audience that have always gone. Music that could roughly be termed 'alternative' is still massively over represented at the festival compared to society as a whole.

And spare me the same boring shite about young people and influencers and tiktok - no one has a divine right to attend at the festival and any talk of the "proper gig going fans" being the ones who should attend sounds an awful lot like we should only let the right people in but not the undesirables. 

I'm not sure its particulalry reflective of the state of society at the time in particular now. 

Edited by Nestacres

The BBC should pipe down a little about Glastonbury. 

The coverage and hype they dedicate to it is way over the top. 

Jo Whiley and the like sound like malfunctioning robots the amount of times they say GLASTONBURY in the weeks running up to it.  Like they are directly on the Eavis payroll for propaganda. 

Its without doubt contributed considerably to the popularity/difficulty getting tickets. Just one big state run advert.

If they started to scale that back, then maybe it would settle down. Eventually. 

3 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

Jo Whiley and the like sound like malfunctioning robots the amount of times they say GLASTONBURY in the weeks running up to it.  Like they are directly on the Eavis payroll for propaganda. 

Its without doubt contributed considerably to the popularity/difficulty getting tickets. Just one big state run advert.

If they started to scale that back, then maybe it would settle down. Eventually. 

This is a strange take, the BBC isn’t just reporting on Glastonbury off their own back, they have a deal with the festival to televise it.

The point is they are on the Eavis payroll and it is one giant advert, that’s entirely the point of it. 

28 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Out of upvotes but agree strongly.

4 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

Jo Whiley and the like want to attract listeners/viewers and Glastonbury helps them with that.  It's not a one way street.  The tickets are popular, as is the demand for coverage of the event. 

It's now been a televised festival for longer than the period when it wasn't. There were only 15 untelevised festivals  - and that includes the 1978 unofficial fest and Glastonbury Fayre which had a movie made of it.

Probably a good chunk of the folk saying the coverage should be scaled back have only been attending in the televised years.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, stuie said:

Besides which - does anyone *really* think she was trying for tickets, at least for herself?

Remember it was the Coach Sale. Is there any possible scenario in which she rocks up at potentially 6am to cram onto a Seetickets coach from wherever she lives? Nah. If she ever did go to the festival, it'd be on a H ticket arranged via either the local (tory) council or the DCMS so that she could keep away from all us lowlifes. Certainly wouldn't need to go through the ticket scrum.

My best guess is either she went to the website to see what the fuss is about, or one of her staff was trying for tickets or something like that.

One of the great things about glastonbury is its division into little tribes and areas, which people follow almost without even realising. The pyramid is for your instagram/social media types to take pictures and hang around, with the music being something of a background - the Park is for your hipster types with oh so exclusive and rare taste in music, dance village for the ket heads and 17yr olds, Other stage is yer NME/indie nobs, west holts for people who have been a few times and seen a few things and fancy far more vibe than photo, and the avalon and acoustic are for the ancient ones 😆 and the t+c fields are for the very best of folk. (This may or may not tend to feature me quite a lot)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

One of the great things about glastonbury is its division into little tribes and areas, which people follow almost without even realising. The pyramid is for your instagram/social media types to take pictures and hang around, with the music being something of a background - the Park is for your hipster types with oh so exclusive and rare taste in music, dance village for the ket heads and 17yr olds, Other stage is yer NME/indie nobs, west holts for people who have been a few times and seen a few things and fancy far more vibe than photo, and the avalon and acoustic are for the ancient ones 😆 and the t+c fields are for the very best of folk. (This may or may not tend to feature me quite a lot)

What about the types who go to almost all those areas? 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

So that makes me an ancient nme/indie knob hipster, seen a few things, been more than a few times and who like the vibe more  than photo…………..but thankfully not a 17 year old Ket head.😉

seems I am best avoided 

😊

Edited by Ayrshire Chris