Neil Young 2020

marcwilson87

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Odd not see the actual best Shakey album in anyone's list

Weld_-_neil_young_and_crazy_horse.jpg

Ha, I was gonna say something about how his live albums are as essential as the studio ones. But it's like picking a greatest hits isn't it?

We'll never get to see the Horse in any proper sense again but Promise of the Real make a fine substitute, if you get a chance to see them backing him don't miss it.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:51 AM, bamber said:

ARRRRRHHHH!

Looked at 45 44 and 43 and can't look any further. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Everybody's Rockin' must be 45 for starters,

....and Old Ways should be in the top ten.

You might like this:

I like the version of Silver and Gold (16mins into the vid) a lot more than the official version on the silver and gold album that ended up getting released decades later!

What do you Silver and Gold fans think?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Ha, I was gonna say something about how his live albums are as essential as the studio ones. But it's like picking a greatest hits isn't it?

We'll never get to see the Horse in any proper sense again but Promise of the Real make a fine substitute, if you get a chance to see them backing him don't miss it.

I stand by it - although Unplugged runs it close. Two sides of the same coin.

Nils was in the Horse before Poncho wasn't he?  So I dunno if you could say the current line up isn't the real deal.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:07 AM, eFestivals said:

the guardian has ranked every Neil Young album.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/05/neil-young-every-album-ranked

Plenty at the top of the list I don't know so will have to check out.

Don’t know whether it’s wise or obsessive but I have 33 of them on cd and/or vinyl.

.....and a few compilations not on the list. 

Of the less obvious ones, always lowly rated but I have a soft spot for Old Ways and Hitchhiker.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:02 PM, Mr.Tease said:

'Tonights the Night' remains standing as my favourite Neil Young album after all these years- enhanced by the tale I read about, that when touring the album, the audience were not pleased at him only playing all this new dirge music, with none of his familiar previous 'hits'. He'd start with a long, drawn out version of 'Tonights the Night', then at the end of the concert, would say "Now here's one you might already know" and preceded to play a long dirge version of 'Tonights the Night' again!😂

Also love 'On the Beach', 'Rust Never Sleeps' and Everybody Knows this is nowhere', so I agree with the top of the guardians list.

Weirdly, I've grown to really like 'Like an Inca' from the Trans album. It's not the greatest song, but for some reason I don't want it to end after a few minutes of listening to it!

A lot of the album he is singing into the vocoder, on this one he holds back, this is what his voice actually sounds like with no effects, so in contrast to the American he has become, his (weak) voice is like an Inca in Peru.

The best things on Trans are  the Vocoder bits for sure.. Mr Soul re-visited.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, Mr.Tease said:

You might like this:

I like the version of Silver and Gold (16mins into the vid) a lot more than the official version on the silver and gold album that ended up getting released decades later!

What do you Silver and Gold fans think?

There is Joy in derision, especially when that derision is tinged with utter respect.

Neil Young is a simple man who got very rich by being good, he always saw both sides, and wrote songs about that.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Odd not see the actual best Shakey album in anyone's list

Weld_-_neil_young_and_crazy_horse.jpg

The Trouble with Weld is that it has to compete against Tonight's the Night.

There is no contest in the end.

TTN is way more melodic, yet grungier too. Go figure.

4 hours ago, bamber said:

The Trouble with Weld is that it has to compete against Tonight's the Night.

There is no contest in the end.

TTN is way more melodic, yet grungier too. Go figure.

The TTN tracks on Weld slap to be fair. But I'll take that version of Like A Hurricane over most other things in his catalogue.

Nils Lofgren was also in the TTN band IIRC, further undermining this emerging Poncho Purism that we're now seeing more and more.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:35 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Were doing unexpected Neil covers now dude. Paging Buddy Miles to thread:

Outstanding.

You make the best posts, all times considered. We've been here a long time. 👨‍❤️‍👨